Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Bathroom Regularity, and Way too much info!

So, this is a little TMI, so look away if you'd rather not hear about my bathroom habits

I am usually fairly regular in the BM department, but for the past 2 weeks or so I haven't gone once. Like not at all! I'm guessing this isn't good, but I haven't had any pain or cramping so I don't know if it's that serious. I've changed my eating habits, but not so drastically that things should be at a standstill! I'm a broke college kid, so I'd rather try to take care of it at home before going to the dr with my crappy insurance.

Has anyone else been "stopped up" for a long period of time? Besides coffee (which hasn't worked) or laxatives (which I'd rather not resort to), is there anything that helps make things happen in that area?
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Are you drinking water? Exercising?

You can google "yoga poses for digestion" and do some of those.

2 weeks is a very long time if you used to go daily.

Is there a health clinic on campus you can go to?

Are you eating enough fiber?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

You could always try a glycerin suppository. They're safe enough for newborns so you don't have to worry about funky side effects other than how you might feel during insertion.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4  

cod liver oil is supposed to be pretty good at getting things moving along, if you can handle eating a spoonful of oil!

make sure you are getting plenty of fiber AND lots of water to go along with it - fiber absorbs water so if you're not getting extra water a lot of fiber can actually have the negative effect of bulking things up TOO far.

2 weeks is a super long time, and I would strongly suggest looking for medical advice if nothing changes in a few days.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #5  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

What exactly did you change in your eating habits? Like others have said, make sure you're getting enough fiber and drinking lots of water. If you can't go within the next few days, after trying some of the methods previous posters have mentioned, you should definitely see a doctor, though. Two weeks is a long time!
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

That is something I would be concerned about since they say it can be a good way measure your health. I know that exercise and water help, but if you dislike the idea of laxatives ( I do too) then try a fiber drink or fiber pills, even the cheapo generics should help.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #7  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

You very likely aren't getting enough of one or all of three things....water? Are you drinking a lot? Vitamins? (This includes fish oil and regular vitamins =) and are you exercising?

I make sure to maintain a LOT of grains in order to sustain this problem. I too had this same problem lol. After that first week I had to add grain to my intake, and boy has it helped!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #8  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

The pills always hurt my bowels, so I usually buy the tea. Right now I'm trying a tea called Smooth Move... hehe it sounds so funny. Anyways it works without giving me horrible pains so you might want to try it. It's just herbs and such, but if you don't like licorice I wouldn't recommend it.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I second all of the comments about fiber, water, and exercise. Sometimes all it takes for me to go is a good run... no kidding.
If you think you might be low on fiber, try metamucil. You can pick up a small container for about $2-3 at any Rite Aid/CVS. You just take it to add fiber to your diet and it'll help it to move out.
Even if you count fiber and it's fine, you still might want to try the metamucil. I eat enough fiber with food, but my body is just weird so I have to also supplement with metamucil to keep things moving.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Thanks everyone! Things finally, uhm, started moving (lol) tonight, and I feel sooo much better! I ended up using a laxative (yuck) but I definitely think it was the lack of fiber. I realized I was hardly getting any! So I'm upping my fiber intake and hopefully this won't happen again.

Thanks so much for all the advice!!
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Glad things are moving along for you, If you start eating more veggies it will help, if you cant make that happen then take a fiber pill everyday, you need to flush these toxins from your body, it's not healthy at all to go at the bare least 3-4 days. And thats super pushing it for time, you should ideally be going every day at least every 2!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I too have major issues in this department! I love Fibre One (honey clusters) and the other night I made bran muffins (a low fat prepackaged mix) and I added blackberries and blueberrie and a mashed banana. They were so good and they certainly helped get things moving!
Just remember lots of water!
Glad things are better!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #13  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Raisin Bran....It does the trick within the first 30 minutes for me.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #14  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Favorite cereal HANDS DOWN is http://www.target.com/Archer-Farms-B.../dp/B0015R2BNG - you can get it from Target for 2.50. It is AMAZING and sooo good for moving things along =) It has flax in it but you would NEVER know with the taste!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

I agree w/ everyone else on the fiber & water. Have you tried Fiber1 products? The cereal and cereal bars.. usually work.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote