Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/**ticker**/115

Height: 5'2

Default Getting Over Plateaus?

Ok so i MIGHT not be necessarily in a "plateau" yet but my weight does continue to bounce between 151-153 for the past week & a half. Right now i'm back up to 152.2 and I've been doing everything right...exercising, and eating within my calorie range. So when I worked out yesterday for 52 minutes and ate real good than woke up to a higher number on the scale than yesterday I was pretty upset (and still a bit confused)..I know it can be water weight from my sore muscles ..but I don't feel that sore and I know it could anything but just IN case it's a plateau what should I prepare myself to do?...Change my diet up? Drop calories? Increase my exercise?.....My weight loss journey has been pretty good so far and I have dropped at a pretty good pace so I knew a plateau would be coming soon.
JLNichols07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

No offense, but a week and a half can hardly be considered a plateau. It might be your body just holding onto water b/c TOM is coming, or you're not drinking enough water so your body is holding on to it.

Also, keep in mind as you get smaller, its harder to lose weight. My first year of WL I lost 40 lbs, second year only 20 - as your body fat % decreases and your muscle mass increases, its just harder to drop lbs and easier for your body to yo-yo. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it after 1 week.

Some things you could try if it persists are changing up your exercise routine, cycling calories or even eating different foods. Sometimes our bodies get used to eating the same things every day and WL is kind of ineffective for a while.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/144.8/135

Height: 5'2

Agree 100% with Stella. Your weightloss has been fairly smooth/consistent/rapid. It is BOUND to slow down at some point, esp. as you get closer to your goal. Be prepared to exercise a little patience. Most of us have been through some rough plateaus...if you keep doing the right things, you will get past it.
LindsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with stellarosa too. I would also stop stepping on the scale every day for a few days. I've been in your situation and seeing those natural fluctuations throughout the week can really mess with your head. Put the scale away, keep doing what you've done to get you this far and then weigh in again in a week.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #5  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

While a week and a half is hardly long enough to be considered a plateau, if you're doing everything right and you still don't see the scale move, my advice is this: do not give up!!!!!! I hovered at 162-163 for MONTHS. it was awful. and then the holidays came and i started feeling like it wasnt worth it and started giving up on myself. Before i knew it the scale was up to 170. Now i'm back to 163.5, and i'm DETERMINED to break through into the 150's. You can try to mix it up food-wise or exercise-wise, but the most important thing is to not get frustrated and keep going!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6  

If I was you, I first take a cheat day to help reset my metabolism. Then the following day I'd shake up my routine. I'm
Not sure what type of workouts you do, but I'd switch them up and see if that helps.
Alisme is offline   Reply With Quote