Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #1  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Exclamation 20-Somethings' October Exercise Tracker & Chat Thread

I started tracking my exercise last month (and didn't meet my exercise goal, ), so I am recommitting this month and looking for some likeminded 20s to chat and track with!

Well, October will be quite different from September for me. I’ll be starting a 6 week program to train to run a 5k! No excuses, I’ll be doing it. And the whole idea is rather scary! I’m at the exercise level of walking 5k, no problem, but running or jogging it?

What are your plans/goals for the month?

zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Hello, fellow Floridian! I am totally in, because I'm completing an 8 week 5k plan! My 5k is in November, do you have a specific one yet? What does your 6 wk plan look like? I'm thinking I might need something a bit more concise than 8 weeks, haha. My sister in law sprung it on me on Monday, and I am freaking TERRIFIED. But, I committed, so nothing to do now but work it hardcore.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #3  
Warning 3FC Addict

This is what I'll be pushing myself to follow:
6 weeks to 5k

I've been looking at some 5ks in late November:
Light Fest
Runners' Classic

I'm thinking that I'll be doing the Light Fest.

Which 5K are you doing?

I think the training will be scarier than the real thing,

I start my "Training" on Monday, October 4th. I plan to be doing some basic treadmill walking before that, but I will do the actual program outside. Ugh, it is going to be hot and gross! I am glad I didn't decide to do this a few months back, hopefully it'll cool down a bit for us. My next step is to just get my distances mapped out so I am doing the right amount as I walk/run around my neighborhood.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #4  

I'm in Daytona, so I'm doing the Cobb's Corner Classic in Ormond.

No kidding, I have myself so worked up about workouts that are 4 weeks away. I am not a runner. Rather, I've never *been* a runner. I suppose I'm whatever I make myself, right? So here's hoping I can make myself a runner by 11/20, haha.

Holy cow, I've been doing it off and on for a month or two and before now I had to wait until 8:30 or later to do any jogging. Even then it was awful with this awesome Florida atmosphere. I'm doing all my 5k training outside also.. I've heard it can be hard to adjust to the road post treadmill training and I hate running on treadmills, so I just jumped right in on the road.

I don't know what you're interested in doing, but my sister in law and I started looking at various races in the area and found these two: Beach Palooza and Warrior Dash. The Warrior Dash looks a little hard core, but they seem like something fun to do, so you aren't just training for some boring old road race, you know? I personally think they both look flipping awesome, but I know I'm rather odd at times, heh.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I have a silly goal for October. See... I've never been a thin person, I was probably average as a kid and just sort of ballooned to a chubby teen and now young adult. You know those horrible fitness tests they give you in high school? Well I could NEVER pass the mile test in the time allotted. I wasn't even the largest girl in my school but I was so out of shape (I did have asthma but I grew out of it by college) and I avoided exercise because of how quickly my asthma kicked up. I also had boobs that were hard to contain.

So... My mini goal for October is to get down to a 12 minute mile which may not seem like much but it's a big step for me. I feel like if I get to that point I can redeem myself from all those embarrassing moments in gym class when I was the last girl to cross the finish line.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #6  

Psh, I'd be perfectly pleased with a 12 minute mile. I was trying to establish a baseline for my mile, and as I hate jogging on the treadmills at the gym I opted for giving it a whirl with the elliptical.. even with that help, I hit 14:35 for my mile. I'm certain that would be 16+ actually jogging/walking.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #7  
Warning 3FC Addict

Zomb, I know the feeling, , but you are working toward that 12 minute mile, which is AMAZING! How do you strap the girls down by the way, I keep hearing that I should double up on sports bras to do it.

I have no idea how long it takes me to do a mile... is that a bad thing? Maybe I better get a pre-training time to see how much I improve.

OH MY GOD, SIGN ME UP!!!
I want to do the Warrior Dash!!!
Muahahahaha
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #8  

I KNOW, OMG, IT LOOKS SO COOL! hahaha I looked it up 'cause I saw someone mention it on the Beach Palooza facebook and they said it was in Lake Wales.. My mom is from Lake Wales, so I thought it would neat to do something there, but then I saw what it was and decided it didn't matter if it took place 1000 miles away, I MUST do it!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #9  
Warning 3FC Addict

Alright. It's nearly official. I'm going to go home after work and register for both the Light Fest 5k and the Warrior Dash. Then I am going to chart a mile (From my house and back) and time myself to see how long it takes me to do the mile. "Do", because I sure as heck can't run one now,

I'm going to so get a turkey leg after the Dash, It's like a mini-ren-fest!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #10  

AWESOME. I'm still too chicken to make it official, but I'm thinking after Beach Palooza I'll have a better idea of my skill level and hopefully more confidence. In my head I'm totally saying I'm doing it though... I'm thinking the connotation of commitment, even if only in my head, will offer motivation.

Anyone have any idea where I could practice the tire run thing? I'm a flipping klutz, I'd like to have a go or two at that before doing it in front of a bunch of people, ha.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #11  

Oh, I think I'm going to try out a mile today, too. Like a legit, on the road, just my own two legs, mile. It would be nice to know exactly what I'm working with, not just a low-ball estimate based on the elliptical.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #12  
Warning 3FC Addict

I'm more worried over the palmettos (Getting scraped up), the cargo net, and the river logs (Hoppin' over, ). That one guy in the video was hopping over them like it was nothing, I wonder where he practiced that! Short of inquiring at a police academy or something (yeah, I am totally guessin'), I have no idea where you'd find the tires set out like that. Hm.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #13  

The nets freak me out... it says you are allowed to skip obstacles if they scare you, but you'd be disqualified from prizes. I don't expect to win any prizes anyway, so I might have to bypass the nets. Those have scared me since I was a little kid, haha.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/**ticker**/115

Height: 5'2

Hey everyone. I just started the exercising part of my diet due to my csection. I'm starting out with cardio 3x a week and a video. But what's a good video to start out with any suggestions?
JLNichols07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #15  
Warning 3FC Addict

Good question.
I've got the Dancing with the Stars: Dance Body Tone and the Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred DVDs.
I attempted the first only once, and the second is still in its plastic wrapper
I stink at DVDs! My coordination is crap, so I hope someone can recommend a good one for you!

30 Day Shred seems to be popular.

Well, I attempted the mile run like I said I would... omg... It's only in the mid 80s with average humidity, and I think I killed myself,
My pacing sucks, but what's done is done:

9/30/10: One Mile in 12:45.4

Even though I am proud of myself, I think I'll put off the registering until maybe a week of training has passed, haha!
But that Warrior Dash is happening, no backing out, RWAR!!!

Last edited by zanheltangia; 09-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.