Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #1  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

Default The number on the scale's changing...but my body isn't!

I'm frustrated. I've lost 35 pounds so far, which I know I should be proud of. But....

a) I swear I don't look ANY different and
b) This is reaffirmed by the fact that not a single person has commented on it.

It's not that I need people commenting in order to feel good about myself, but my point is that obviously they don't see a difference either. Has anyone else had this problem? How long did it take before you actually started to see a noticeable difference?
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

How are your clothes fitting?

For me, I look really fat at 185+, then I look exactly the same from 165-185, then I look really good from 158-165 (I have no idea how I might look below 158 but I'm willing to bet it's HOT! )

So, I guess for me, it takes at least 20 pounds to register a difference.

Also, are the people you hope to comment ones you see frequently? It's really hard to notice gradual changes with someone you see every day. Any plans to see someone you haven't seen in a while? That may make you feel better...
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #3  
One pound at a time...

My clothes do fit differently, I suppose. I went from a size 14 to a 12, and the 12's are starting to get looser too, but...yesterday I saw an old friend I hadn't seen since I was at my all-time high (217), and she didn't seem to notice anything at all.

It's good to know that you didn't start REALLY looking different until around 165...we're the same height, so maybe the same will hold true for me. I guess we'll see?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #4  
Soon to be Greek Goddess

S/C/G: 205/180/145

Height: 5'7

It might be the same for me too... I do notice though, if I do alot of core strengthening exercises, I carry myself differently.
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Maybe everyone around you is just polite? lol Like they don't know what to say or how to say it so they just do not say anything?

When I lost 10lbs I noticed the differences, and by 20 it was way obvious & my boss commented and my husband. No one else did though lol I was still fat but a thinner fat then when I started lol.

But you are losing sizes so that right there is a huge difference. Your body is changing!! I would start using measuring tape too so that you can really track the differences all around your body.

Maybe take some really good photos of yourself each week or 5/10lb weight loss wearing the exact same thing everytime. That might help you be able to notice the differences better.

Sometimes mirrors can trick us lol and also everyone is shaped differently and lose weight differently. But I also think it is partly mental too. We might already have an image of ourselves and it is hard to throw it out and really look at ourselves.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #6  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

You know, I lost 30 lbs and although I don't see it at all, people who haven't seen me in a while can. Those I see everyday give me a compliments but I think it's because they just want to be nice. Before I lost weight and I was still 287, people would ask me if I was losing weight, and I'm like...um no. So it's being polite I would think that they don't comment. Something to think about though is your clothing. Have you tried different styles. I was so big for so long that I got use to wearing these unflattering clothing options because I just gave up on cute clothes. Try a new outfit or a new style and I'll betcha they will notice.

I think the smaller you get the less people begin to notice until it gets REALLY obvious and you walk in looking like a fly model. Hehe! ANyway, I hope this was helpful. You'll notice it soon enough! Give it a couple more pounds and just like someone said above you'll notice it after 20-30.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the 'measure yourself' thing... Or the take weekly pics in the same outfit, thing.

I wear my sleeping shorts and a tightish tank top and I stand on the side of my tub and take pics in the bathroom mirror. It's REALLY helped me see the changes.. I can look at then and now, side by side, and see changes even though I don't see them at ALL on a day to day basis..
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #8  
One pound at a time...

Update....I took your advice and remembered that I had taken "before" pictures back in April, when I decided I wanted to lose weight (which I did not). Since those pictures were taken I've lost 38 pounds (I was at my all-time high weight then), so I figured it'd be a good basis of comparison...I took new pictures last night and was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED. My body has changed a *lot*!

I also realized that it's really not visible when I'm dressed, because most of my shirts/jackets are really baggy on me now and make me look bigger than I am.

All in all, I feel a little better now. I bought a measuring tape, so I guess it's time to start tracking inches, too...thank you for all the help, everyone!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

You might just need to tone up a bit. I suggest looking into some toning exercises & getting a little exercise in. It definitely helps you look leaner.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #10  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

The same thing happened to me. I dropped like 30 lbs and no one noticed a thing (aside from a couple people who are very close to me), even people I saw every day.

It wasn't until my BMI hit the upper part of 28 (like 28.7 or something) that people started commenting more. I mention BMI because with our height difference, it'll make things easier to compare.

The comments actually freaked me out at first. I don't know why, but I got it into my head that I would work on losing weight, not tell anyone, and then when I reached my goal I would let people know I'd lost weight and then everyone would magically notice! But not until I was at my goal. Weird, but it was what I was subconsciously thinking. I was shocked when people started noticing and stuttered strange answers (once I even said, "No I haven't," even though it was kinda obvious...yeah, bad moment). Now I've taken to saying something along the lines of, "Yes, I've lost some weight. Thanks!"

And you're right - wearing larger clothing than what fits you will hide some of the loss. I'm fine with that though - I have a belt to strap my jeans on, and will not buy new clothes until I physically cannot wear mine anymore without them falling off (I'm a student and have no money, sadly). I may have to buy a new belt. It's a bigger belt to start, and I only have one more hole and then it's going to be too big. Eh, it'll last for another few inches loss.

You're doing great! Keep going! Notice how your clothes fit, how you feel, etc. The comments will come!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/210/140

Height: 5'4"

35 lbs?! I'd be willing to bet that there is a visible difference! I've only lost about 10 lbs and my brother, whom I see everyday, just told me last week that I look like I'm losing weight. Like one of the other ladies said, the people around you may just be very polite. Telling someone that they look like they're losing weight is a compliment, but some people might be uncomfortable with saying it to someone because they're just not comfortable with commenting on someone's weight.
Northern Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #12  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'8"

The first time I lost a lot of weight it actually took the people I saw on a daily basis to notice after I had lost about 40 pounds! Crazy huh? People will start to notice, maybe sooner if they know you are trying to lose weight because they will intentionally try to take notice of any changes.

Hang in there, everything will catch up and you will see and feel a difference soon! Congrats on the 35 pounds down
ToriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #13  
Want 2 B a Oneder Woman!

S/C/G: 280/ticker/199

Height: 5'7

see i'm having the opposite problem. the scale isn't budging anymore but my clothes are falling off.
dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

A lot of times people don't comment because that would be implying that they were calling the "old" you fat and in westernized society, esp. America, people just don't like doing or hearing that.

If you've lost 35 pounds, that's GREAT progress. I bet you look different, but most of the time, we are our own worst critics. Take weekly pictures of yourself and compare them. Start taking measurements.

Remember, losing weight isn't just about the pounds. It's also about healthy living and positive body image.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote