Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #1  
super awesome nubie!

S/C/G: 188/168.6/160

Height: 6'1"

Talking Small-ish (<10) support group for 20-30lb weight loss? Bay Area maybe?

Hello!
I'm new to 3FC and super overwhelmed with the amount of posts daily... and the different types of people who post... and their goals

I would LOVE to find/start a group of 20-somethings who have roughly the same goal, and slimier obstacles. I personally don't think that gender has to matter, but If making it femme only is easier, then that's okay - (but in the long run, it's all posted on-line anyways, lol)
If anyone else is from the Bay Area, even better!

If you’re interested, give a little about yourself in a somewhat easy to read manner… I'll start!

ME: My name is Beka, I'm 26 and getting my Special Education Credential in San Jose, CA.
I am engaged and getting legally married this winter, with the “real” wedding when I’m done with school and have time to plan it I have varied interests (mainly because I’m super ADHD ) that include art, dance, cooking (big time) animals, whatever! I’m not huge into sports, but I love being at games for the atmosphere!

NUMBERS: I’m 6’1” and 171 lbs. I’m equally distributed… roughly 34DD, 31, 44 – all in all a Big Girl, lol!

GOALS: My first mini goal will be 165, then 160, etc. etc. working to be ~150lbs – in the VERY long run! But the weight isn’t my main goal… it’s about how I look/feel/fit into clothing!

STATUS: I’m down from 185 this spring from pure calorie counting – I took a hiatus from mid June to Sep 1 when I moved TWICE – ugh. I started doing at home 30 min work outs (Jillian Michaels shred/ripped/etc.) and love them. I want to start a beginning ballet class also. I’ve lost 6lbs so far this month – slow and steady wins the race, right?

JOURNEY: I knew that the first 15 would be the easiest since my body LIKES being 175, so much so that I haven’t been out of the 170’s range since I was around 18 (after I stopped dancing and lost a bunch of muscle) until I got the cortisone shot that put me in the 180’s. I KNOW I’m going to need fitness to make this work how I want it to – If possible I’ve NEVER combined fitness with nutrition so I’m excited to see the changes! I just have to be careful b/c I have a terrible back – but so far I’m taking care of myself and it makes working out MUCH more fun – although gyms are still HATED

I’ve been tracking my calories with the myfitnesspal.com phone ap and I like it enough. I’ve tried livestrong.com (the daily plate – since 2008) & sparkpeople.com before also. They all have their +/-… I just use them for the math really

WHY AN ONLINE GROUP: I have very supportive people around me and all that, but I need something different! Especially my fiancée, he’s wonderful and would love me no matter how I look and tells me this all the time – but you know what? It’s not for him! Ha! It’s SO for me!!!

Also, since I’m so tall, a 15lb loss isn’t really noticeable, so I want to be able to TALK to people about their journeys w/o hearing “Really? You want to do what now?” – especially my family who are great… so great that I shouldn’t change

--------
There, something like that!
So excited to see if anyone else is in my boat and needs a little encouragement!
Lastly, does anyone else do calorie counting? Like to cook? Work out at home? Have people around them that just “don’t get” what you’re trying to do?

So excited!

-BEKA-
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm on the opposite coast as you, but I'm also a calorie counter (although a short one at 5'3") who has about 20 pounds left to lose

And you're going into Special Education! Awesome! I'm a Special Education teacher right now

Not sure if you're looking for someone like me for your group, but if so I'll post my stats. If you just want people in your area, I'll understand
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #3  
super awesome nubie!

S/C/G: 188/168.6/160

Height: 6'1"

Oh no! I didn't mean Bay Area ONLY, I just didn't know if it really mattered LOL.
Location, smocation!
I'm not trying to be picky and find people JUSY LIKE ME, I just posted a lot because I wanted people to be comfortable with me
go teachers!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Haha yes! go teachers! :3

I wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for, so I'm happy to join Here's my stats:

A little about me:
My name is Nicole, I'm 23 and recently got my MA in May. I live on Long Island in New York where I've lived my entire life. I'm a Special Education Teacher and I teach resource room. I recently got engaged in July, and I've been with my fiancee for 3 and a half years. We don't have a wedding date set because we need to save some money, haha.

I am a huge nerd and therefore my interests include video games, anime, shiny technology, etc. I have lots of gadgets.

Stats:
I'm 5'3" and my starting weight was 200 pounds. I maintained that weight for 5+ years (so throughout undergrad and graduate school) because I exercised frequently. Over the past few months I've lost 40 pounds watching what I ate (calorie counting). Before that I lost 8 when I watched what I ate for a brief period. As of today I've lost 48 pounds total.

My goal is to get down to 130 pounds and I've got to reign things in a bit. I never measured or weighed my food, but I started doing so today. Things are getting harder as I've been getting closer to my goal (which is to be expected)

Hopefully we can all work together to meet our goals

Last edited by sontaikle; 09-28-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #5  
it's always something

Hi Beka, welcome to 3FC!! We're glad you joined us

We encourage a lot of peer support during weight loss, and try not to promote 'small' groups because someone will always feel excluded. It's ok if a group is naturally small of course

If you would like to start a special group, we have a large general Support Groups area that might interest you. That's usually a better option than a group within a group

Good luck!
Closed Thread