Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #1  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy Stomach... UGH

Like many of you on here have mentioned, one of my problem areas is my stomach. In particular my lower stomach. I have been on a great workout program (Chalean Extreme) for almost two months now and really been eating clean (I count calories). I have toned, lost a few pounds, my arms and shoulders look awesome, my butt, thigh, and legs look great... I have real muscles!

...and then there's my lower stomach belly bulge...

It hasn't budged hardly at all. So I'm asking for ideas here. I know training professionals say you can't target one specific area for weight loss... well I don't know if that's true or not. But just wondering, has anyone had any success in the STOMACH area as far as diet or workout plans go?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this...
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Have you tried reverse crunches? those might help!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #3  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

You're the same height as me... I have found, in the past, that my stomach really goes down between 190-140 lbs. Anything above that and I carry a pooch. I have to get pretty thin before my stomach isn't flabby.

Have you taken your measurements? You may have lost inches in the tummy without it being very noticable... i'd track it month to month and see if it is indeed getting smaller!
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #4  

Just doing cardio and crunches, have removed flab from my upper stomach, but like you I have a roll on the lower that I can't get rid of, so I am in a similar position.

I'd say it's going to be the very last thing to go, and the first to return should you ever crash with your eating for a while.

Aside from upping the cardio, I doubt there's anything you can do but keep at it. You can't spot reduce any specific area, only tone the muscle underneath it. That's certainly a good idea. I do it, and though I have my lower belly roll which I HATE , there is clear definition above and around it where you can see I've been doing crunches . It absolutely makes the whole stomach area look far less horrifying than if I hadn't done any ab exercises and had a soft squishy flobbery belly. IU've started with reverse crunches a few weeks ago. It'll take a while to see results because of the roll, but someday..

Give it a go. Keep at the cardio, do a lot of crunches ( both sorts ) and planks also, very good for core muscles.

Last edited by honeythorn; 08-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #5  
You can DOOO IT!

I've been doing reverse crunches, but like Chalene says, you can work out your core every day. I guess I just really don't like doing core work, but I do it! Honey, hopefully you're right, and with more weight lost it will become less of an issue. This morning I just looked in the mirror and was bummed about it! UGH.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #6  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

When I studied the effects of muscle toning I learned that lower stomach pudge is always going to be the hardest to get rid of. The muscles right there are dificult to work and the fat cells just do not want to detach. Something you may consider is if you have a gym membership, maybe ask one of the trainers for a good exercise to get those muscles in the lower ab area to flex.

A good one that I always liked:
Lay on your back and pull one leg up, parallel to the floor while the other lays flat. Place your hands on your upper thigh and press gently--enough to feel the contraction in your lower abdomen. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Complete 12-14 sets per leg. You may not feel sore the first time so work your weigh up to holding the contraction for 30 seconds, taking a 3-4 second break between reps.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #7  
You can DOOO IT!

Thanks Shelly! I'll add that one to my ab routine, I've never done it.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Supposedly belly dancing moves like the camel are very good for that. I'm still carrying too much fat to see a big difference in that area but you can definitely fill the muscles working down there when you're using proper form.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #9  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

nia - your post about belly dancing reminded me of another great way to tone abs... hula hooping... my 4 year old girl learned how to do it a week ago. I did it with her (lightweight) hula hoop and after about 10 min my abs were pretty sore hehe.... i found out you can actually buy weighted hula hoops to work out your core online....
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

cb1 that sounds awesome. i loved hula hoops when i was little and even though i was never great at it, it was always fun. great idea!
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #11  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

My belly has been going down, and I was really loving it, but then the rest of my body got smaller as well and now my belly is back to looking gross. I especially hate my lower belly, just like most of you. Damn that thing.
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #12  

Such a pity we can't whoosh back to Neolithic times eh? We'd all be considered the hottest women around for having stomach fat!!!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #13  
You can DOOO IT!

OOOH good one honey! Even back in the time of the Renaissance we'd be mad catches! Well at least my boyfriend thinks I am now... he doesn't notice anything and when I point it out, he's like what are you talking about? THAT, ladies, is why I love him.
But I know I'll be far more confident...erm... you know what I mean... when it's GONE
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Are you visually not seeing it going down? Or are you measuring and it's not going down?

Are you drinking enough water? Do you have a lot of artificial sweeteners? I never thought that artificial sweeteners bothered me until I was forced to cut them out for a week and I was amazed at how much slimmer my mid section looked! I still drink them, but it's comforting to know that IF I stopped my stomach would look less bloated. Diet coke is my weakness.

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 08-07-2010 at 11:13 PM.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote