Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Default Where do I start?

How do you even begin to plan out an exercise program? I've never really tried to do this before, and it seems confusing as to how much strength, how much cardio, etc etc. Help?
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinstaticx View Post
How do you even begin to plan out an exercise program? I've never really tried to do this before, and it seems confusing as to how much strength, how much cardio, etc etc. Help?
I'd just go to the gym hit the treadmill, bike, eliptical and see what you can do the first time. After that do the same amount for the next few days and then slowly begin to increase intensity and/or time.

I'm not a big believer in strength training especially for weight loss. I was able to lose 80lbs and I've maintained now for 8 years without doing a single minute of strength training.

Last edited by benchmarkman; 07-13-2010 at 06:19 AM.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #3  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Depends a lot on where you are at physically right now. I was a weight lifter in college, so I was able to jump right back into strength training when I started exercising again. It's really important to get both cardio and strength training in. Cardio is your main calorie burn, but strength training is your toner and will help tighten up your skin and give you nice definition. I would suggest either working with a trainer one or two times, if you can't afford one, then plan on spending an extra 10-15 minutes each day at the gym so you can familiarize yourself with the weightlifting machines. Free weights are more beneficial for you as you have to work on not only lifting, but balancing the weights, whereas the machines do all the balancing for you, cutting your effort in half. Cardio is all about what you can handle. 15-20 minutes minimum on a cardio machine, figure out your pace and plan on pushing yourself a little harder each time. I bring a little journal with me, so I can track how far I went, for how long, and how many calories I burned, as well as how many reps and at what weights I lifted, so I can push myself a little harder the next time. Good luck, hopefully this helped a little...
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I would say start off with cardio. Get a good routine going (I usually do 45 min on days I'm not doing weights and 20-30 on days I am) and then go from there. I know lots of people who have done strictly cardio the whole time, but as Kim mentioned, I think it's important to start incorporating strength training eventually.

I recently got a trainer and even though it's expensive, I can afford it currently and look at it as an investment in myself. Also I figured I can work out with her for a few months, learn lots of things to do and then if I decide to stop seeing her/can't afford it I have an idea of workouts to do in the meantime.

If you go to a gym you can always ask an employee to show you how to use the different machines. Also, a lot of gyms offer an assessment with a trainer in which you could ask questions or get them to show you the machines/a general routine you could do.

I know how overwhelming it can seem at first. Just take it one day at a time.

GOOD LUCK!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote