Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #1  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I dread...

Going out to dinner. Tonight an old friend is in town and we are going to go out to dinner, I don't know where so I can't choose my meal ahead of time like I normally would. And like most of us here, i LOVE good food, and occasionally make not so great decisions when I am forced to decide on a dime. Now that I'm doing well, counting calories, exercising, I dread going out to the places I love to eat. In fact, I dread it almost as much as I dread the perennial shopping-for-the-perfect-bathing-suit-that-makes-me-look-like-a-size-2 experience, and we all know how that pans out.

Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else experience this anxiety?

I know what to look for, I know what to avoid, I just don't know how to make myself do it!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

If they have a healthy section on the menu I force myself to pick one of those meals. If they don't I do my best to pick something that is semi ok and then I split it in half as soon as I get it and ask for a box. I only eat half of what's on the plate and I take the leftovers home for my husband or dinner the next day. I met a couple when I was a waitress who said they had lost 35 lbs each just by splitting their meals when they went out to eat!

Good luck!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

I'm terrified to eat out but here is what advice I can give (that I totally intend on using when I'm ready)

Be high maintenance. Ask how the food is cooked. Have them not leave bread on the table or have the person accompanying you to keep it away from you. Tell the waiter to have the cook use as little oil as possible. Ask for steamed veggies. Have things grilled instead of sauteed fried or battered. Modify whatever you can. Stuff like that. There's no guarantee they'll listen but it worth trying.

Or simply choose a healthier option and split it with the person accompanying you.

And remember, dining out is a social experience...talk more, eat less. Be conscious of what you consume. Take your time and savor each bite.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I second JMfan- don't be afraid to be high maintenance (just be nice about it and they will be happy to accomodate you).

If it's something I know will high cal I will plan ahead and eat light during the day.

Salads are always good with an added protein (not cooked in butter), but beware of creamy dressings and add-ons like croutons, cheese, tortilla strips, etc...

I personally avoid dishes with thick sauces or lots of rice and pasta.

I can usually find something I like that won't send me over the edge calorie-wise, but it takes some thought. What kills me the next day is that so much restaurant food is high and sodium, so I make sure to drink a lot of water, too.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #5  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstraveller View Post
I know what to look for, I know what to avoid, I just don't know how to make myself do it!
This was definitely the hardest part for me. I knew exactly what I should be eating, but actually ordering that was the hard part. I felt like I was missing out on something if I didn't indulge. Missing out on what, I don't know. 15 minutes of something tasting delicious? Here are two things that helped me. One is that I try to focus on the positive and choose things that will help me get closer to my goals. The second is to realize that all the delicious food will still exist in a few months when I'm at goal and have a little more wiggle-room for the occasional treat.

At restaurants, I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out anymore. I've been at this long enough to know that while restaurant food may taste delicious, it will make me feel horrible later if I over-indulge. I feel like I'm making choices that are helping me reach my goals, be healthy, etc. etc., and I will probably continue to eat out in the same way after I reach goal.

Hope you enjoy your friend and don't stress too much about the food!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote