Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Fruit confusion!

HI yall!!

I love fruit and think I would be able to replace my bad snacking habits with good fruit. Problem is, I have a jaded notion that carbs and sugar are evil so I try to stay away from fruit except for the morning. I know you can get too much of anything but do you think if I snacked on fruit all day (blueberries, cantalope, watermelon) and stop eating them by dinner (usually chicken and veggies), that I could lose weight this way?! Basically an example eating plan would be:

Breakfast: 1 slice of ezekial bread, 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup of fruit
Snack: 2oz of ham and 1 cup of fruit
Lunch: Usually around 400 cals of good fruits, fats, and carbs
Snack: 2 oz of ham and 1 cup of fruit
Snack 2 (I snack a lot) : 100 calorie whole grain popcorn
Dinner: Porkchop or Chicken, broccoli, asparagus, 1/2 onion, 1/2 tbsp of olive oil

What do you all think?! Is that too much sugar and carbs?? I know its around like 65g of sugar for the day but its mostly all from the fruits. I realize after I lose the initial weight and are working on the last 10 pds or so I will probably have to cut back on fruit but do you think this is a good starting point?? I will be exercising 6 days a week also! Please help!!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I snack a lot too

I think as long as you don't over do it on the calories, you should be fine.
I would suggest choosing fruits that are lower in sugar, for example blue berries, strawberries, etc, as opposed to grapes.

I can't remember if watermelon is a "high sugar" fruit - usually the higher calorie fruits are the ones that are higher in sugar, just FYI.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #3  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Maybe you should go do some research in the forums about Atkins and South Beach (i.e. low carb diets) to see what their lists suggests regarding foods/fruits.

South Beach is a lot more giving when it comes to certain foods and I think you would have a good idea of things you could add into your diet that are carb friendly.

Too many people have the misconception that low carb means no carbs. If that were the case you would never eat anything. What you are looking for are foods that will affect the gylcemic index.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote