Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #1  
superfab

S/C/G: I don't care about my weight.

Height: 5'7"

Default Intro/Question about night-eating

Hey, just wanted to post an introduction to the forum. My name's Kori, 20 years old and ready to lose a crapload of weight.. Fifty pounds to be exact. Although I am still considered attractive to others, it's still very discouraging to see the other 20-somethings with their tiny bodies that seem effortless. Especially my facebook friends. If one more girl I hated from high school posts a photo of themselves in a bikini I'm going to absolutely burst.

Besides the intro, I've got a quick question concerning night eating. I don't know if it's the hormones or stress from college, but lately I have been going on late-night drives to Taco Bell and absolutely despising myself afterward. Any tips on how to fight night binges??

My photo is to the left <- I am a photography major.
KoriHallelujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #2  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Haha Taco Bell is my late-night go to as well. Not so much as of late, but I totally feel you. Going to bed earlier helps, that way you're not awake super late to even get the cravings in the first place. Drinking lots of water can help too, I know it helps me to feel fuller so I don't even want to eat late at night.

If it does happen, though, don't sweat it too much. Just try and let it pass and tell yourself you'll do better next time. Working to get rid of the guilt and making it less of a big deal actually makes me crave less. It's like if I tell myself I can't have it or I'm bad for having it, I want it more, but if I just say hey, whatever, it doesn't matter, then I don't want it as much. If that makes any sense haha.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hello and welcome!!

I second the going to bed early idea. That really helps me. Another thing I find is that the later I work out the less likely I am to eat before bed. I HATE going to bed full, so if it's already time to wind down when I get home from the gym I'm less likely to rummage around in the fridge. If I workout early then I need to be *super* careful because as the night wears on I will get ravenous.

Also, I'm less likely to want to go out for food at night if I have healthy options at home, so make sure you have something to "tide you over" on hand- fruit, string cheese, etc... Actually planning a snack later in the evening that fits into your calories for the day might be a good idea. Then breakfast won't seem so far off

Last edited by junebug41; 10-23-2010 at 12:25 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW183/SW142/CW132.6/GW115

Height: 5'3

I'm super lazy so whenever i want to stop eating, i floss and brush my teeth. I will dread the idea of having to brush my teeth again after eating that i'll simply not eat. I find the flavored water a great way to keep me from munching away as well. However, there are those days when i simply couldn't stop myself and have to graze, I'll try to eat a couple of fruits =] They feel you up fast and are super good for you. Hope that helps
Armastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I whiten my teeth at night. It keeps me from wanting to eat anything after that .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #6  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Everyone's already given such great advice, and I am still struggling with this myself, but I find that if I plan a healthy evening snack in advance (rather than completely restricting night eating) I do much better.

My lifesaver lately has been watermelon. It's delicious, and it's good for you and it's pretty low cal. The trick is to cut up the watermelon into little cubes when you buy it, and then put it into a big tupperware in the fridge. It's so much better cold, and there's no way you're going to pick watermelon over Taco Bell if you have to get yourself pumped up to cut the thing up - haha. Of course, this is only if you like watermelon.

We have very similar goals and I'm just starting out too. We can do this!
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #7  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Lately, I've been noticing that if I eat late at night, I don't sleep as well - like I toss and turn because my body is still processing those calories and generating energy. So lately, I've been trying to avoid eating at night just so that I can get a full night's sleep!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #8  
Lena

S/C/G: 250/230/165

Height: 5'8"

Think of how much money you'll save by not getting Taco Bell! That's what keeps me from late night snack runs in general. A few trips to the vending machine could be a lot more productively spent at, say, the used bookstore.

Also, oyster crackers and bananas are my anti-binge. And oooh, I like that suggestion about string cheese up there, I'll have to add it to my repertoire.
sobocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/135/115

Height: 5'3

Ahhh i love taco bell too especially at night!!! you could order their fresco chicken soft tacos (I think 70 calories each)...get two and dump TONS of hot sauce on them. that way you'll need water and youll get full easier (: and not as much damage done. i actually really like their fresco menu and sometimes find myself craving it.
polka23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #10  
~ Jillian Junkie ~

S/C/G: 220/175ish/165

Height: 5'10

Welcome to the board!!

I'm a nighttime eater, too. But I find I'm less likely to binge at night if I've eaten a good balanced amount during the day. But I haven't been able to do without a nighttime snack yet, mostly because that's when I take my vitamins and I can't even be a little hungry or they just come back up. I try to eat a small portion of something with protein. A slice of multi grain bread with a bit of peanut butter and milk is my favorite go-to nighttime snack. It fills me up pretty nicely but it's not a huge quantity of food.

To avoid binging, I just don't hang out in the living room at night (it's next to the kitchen) I stay upstairs in my bedroom and keep occupied. I'm a recovering "seefood" eater, (See food, eat it... ) so not keeping food in my line of sight is a must! lol

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I whiten my teeth at night. It keeps me from wanting to eat anything after that .
LOL I do that too. Or I just brush them...
singforthedayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: See signature.

Height: 5' 5"

I'm gonna agree with the tooth-brushing suggestion! Food always tastes gross to me after I brush my teeth, and who wants to dirty those squeaky-clean chompers? I would also suggest getting some sugar-free gum in a few different flavors--a couple different fruit flavors, mint, anything you think is delicious. Have a bunch of it around. You'll be able to choose your variety, it'll taste good and occupy your mouth so it stops telling your brain to put food in it!
AliceInFatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Another vote for brushing your teeth.

If you want to really guilt yourself out of the night drive-thru binges, set up a system where you are accountable for your eating and exercising. There are a lot of threads around 3FC and other sites. I know in my case if I want to do something stupid/"bad" that I always think twice because I'll be ashamed of sharing my failure with so many people.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #13  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

I am a salty food fiend at night! Crunchy and salty, thank God the taco bell is pretty far away... my go to to kill the salty craving is Kroger Carbmaster yogurt or sugar free Jello pudding. If you are having a craving, general wisdom is eat the opposite of what you are craving to kill it. Also LOTS of water with crunchy ice. Sometimes you might just be thirsty.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote