Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/135/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Need to vent about my roommate.

So my roommate is 5'4" and barely hits 110lbs. She keeps saying that she wants to gain weight and attributes the fact that she is so thin to "fast metabolism." Well, on a normal day for her, all she eats is maybe a few energy bars and a hot pocket, or a few bags of chips. Basically, I'm estimating her daily intake to less than 1000 calories, probably less than 700 on weekends. On top of that, she tries to tell me what's healthy to eat. It's not that I envy her or anything, I have no desire to be that thin. Like, if I was eating A LOT of food and not working out, I have no right to complain about how I am so fat and how it's not my fault. I also would have no right to tell other people how to eat.

I really don't think she is doing any of this on purpose, but it seriously bothers me. I know I shouldn't really care about what she eats and how she lives her life. But I am taking really good care of myself and I feel like she shouldn't be giving me advice when she eats the way she does and fails to take care of herself.

Okay, rant over.
Halfhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I know just how you feel. My roommate is almost the exact same way; she eats maybe once a day, yet likes to make comments when I have an off-day. Her lovely habit of baking dozens of cookies at a time doesn't help.

Some people just feel entitled to share their opinion. She is thin, therefore, she has every answer. In one ear, out the other...
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #3  
Fierce Femme

S/C/G: 185/181/120

Height: 5'4"

Hey half, I'm right there with you. I hate--hate--HATE it when skinny people talk about weight, whether they're ragging on overweight people or complaining about how much they need to gain/lose/throw up/magically make disappear. It's tough to think of much advice besides just ignore it, or change the subject. Some chicks like to bring up weight issues so they can open the door to compliments, you know, the old "I'm so fat!" "Oh, no you're not, you look so SKINNY!" (I used to think that would end after high school--wrong!). Best thing to do is leave it and try to remind yourself that there's more to life than food and weight. I'm working on that one, myself.
BeeOfTheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

I agree. It's hard not to want to pound skinny folks who claim they're just naturally thin or super healthy, but at the same time eat horribly... whether they're eating nothing but crap and their bodies tolerate it, or they eat next to nothing like your roommate.

You know what I encountered not too long ago that was really refreshing? A super skinny coworker (who eats a well balanced diet) who joined in on a conversation about weight and body image by asking honest, earnest questions about being fat. Like did we notice certain health concerns, and was it hard dealing with the prejudice a lot of people throw our way, etc. Not judgement, not hurtful, just genuine interest in understanding. She made me rethink my usual "DAMN SKINNY PEOPLE!" mentality. Lol.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

I totally understand. I live with my boyfriend who has lost 20 pounds since moving in with me...I've gained 30! Ugh. He is unemployed right now so he sleeps all day and then he'll eat one meal when I get home for dinner and then he'll snack at some point and because he ate a decent sized meal he thinks he ate a bunch and because he has a small gut he calls himself fat. Then when I call myself fat he gets mad at me. It's really obnoxious.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #6  
i'm on my way

S/C/G: 143/136/125

Height: 5'5

i had a roommate just the same! i loved her to death, but she could eat anything and she still looked good. sometimes i'd think, if she can eat like this, then i can too..and that never worked out. she never was rude about it, but it was just annoying to see her eating taco bell after drinking or getting a large french fry from mcdonalds as a snack. i just accepted the fact that she was a horse.
sleepandfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #7  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

My roommate is not super thin. She is tall and normal sized. She however, just doesn't have the same food "issues" I do. For example: she can eat half a bag of M & M's, then stick the bag in her purse and forget abut it. Then weeks later, "Oh look! M & Ms!" ARGH! This makes NO sense to me. If I have a candy it calls to me until I finish it.

She just never gets as hungry as me either. And doesn't eat very much. After a a little bowl of cereal and "oooh, I'm full." *sigh*

She doesn't make comments about how I eat and has been very encouraging with me trying to eat better. It's way better than my friend who is TRYING to lose weight (and not succeeding, because she doens't know what she's doing) and is suddenly the weight loss expert.

Just try to ignore it. Or say, kindly but firmly, "I appreciate the advice, but it's easier for me to be healthy when I can just focus on MY plan and not be confused by other peoples advice."
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote