Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Birth Control and weight loss...

I've been on Depo Provera (BC shot) for the past 4 years. I decided recently not to get my last shot, which was due last week. Since then, I've been realizing how many side effects I was having and not associating them with the drug! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else on here had been on depo and gained weight? I was fine for the first year or so (i had lost a lot of weight prior to getting my first shot, and was still on huge weight-loss kick for most of the following year), but it wasn't too long before my weight became a battle, and finally i gave in and gave up. Forty pounds later, I'm fighting the side effects of coming off of it, but wondering if my weight loss will become any easier as the drug leaves my system... thoughts?
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #2  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

I personally don't use bc anymore becuase there were just to many side effects ... But I will always make sure there some condoms around ha don't want. A baby right now .. Maybe just try the pill there's lots out the only one that didn't make me feel crazy or gain weight was tri cycle (the lower dosage one) just gotta feel it out that's all
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #3  
The Last 10lbs!

I don't know about Depo Provera but I've been on Tricyclen for about 5 years now and have lost all my weight on it (I started it at 16 for unbearable cramps and etc) so it certainly hasn't affected me negatively in the weight loss department, or negatively at all in fact. My body may be used to it now but I've not had any issues with Tricyclen. They have a low dosage option (Tricyclen Lo) but mine's the regular.

If you lost weight before being on Depo and the negative side effects you saw while on it are going away, then I don't see why your body wouldn't eventually return to normal so you could lose weight regularly again.

Good luck!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #4  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Depo made me the devil.....
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Depo did awful things to me. My life was completely changed (for the bad) by Depo. I do not recommend it to anyone. JMHO
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #6  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

i didn't have depo but I was on the pill and going off of it caused massive weight gain and horrible psychological side effects. i'm never doing bc ever again. i did try and lose weight a couple times while on it but it was never a serious effort so I can't honestly give an assessment of weight lose while on birth control.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #7  
Failure is NOT an Option

S/C/G: 266.1/Ticker/190

Height: 5'9

I personally work in the healthcare field and even b4 that I heard horrible things about Depo shots.... Then after reading researching for my own purposes I realized bc is good @ preventing but if its hormonal then im sorry I hate it. You cannot be sure what ur side effects will be until after using it especially with weight related issues....

So I only support bc w/out hormones....
PrincessKinaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #8  

Height: 5'10

I have been on Depo for 8 years! I'm sure it has caused some weight gain but I can't 100% correlate it with that. I started it pretty much right out of high school ... and I also became less active after high school. I am currently on it and have lost almost 20 pounds since I've started actually trying to lose.

I stopped it for almost 3 months about a year ago and switched to a pill but had to go back to the shot due to another medication I started that I take daily that makes BC pills less effective. I didn't notice any difference in the way I felt or my weight when I was off of it.
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I asked my doctor for depo once and was told that I could expect to reasonably gain 40 lbs. while on it. I didn't take it because it just wasn't worth it, with no risk of pregnancy.

That being said, i was on loestrin FE or something like that for a while and had success losing weight while taking birth control. I never gained any weight with it, but I also have PCOS; for me, getting the hormones in from bc just levels me out.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I take Loestrin FE and have had good luck with it. I gained weight while on it (but I also had quit exercising)...and now that I've started exercising again I don't seem to be having trouble...
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I have the Implanon birthcontrol implant they put on the inside of your non dominant arm. Its worked great so far no bad side effects and it hasn't hurt my weightloss. When I was talking to my gyno about different forms of longterm birth control she said that with the depo shot I would be guarenteed to gain weight.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote