Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/153.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Looking for advice, support..something!

Hi there! I"m a long time reader but pretty shy about posting. I'm looking for some advice from all you successful ladies.

First off, I'm 26..currently 166 pounds, 5'4", and a 38G (probably TMI but I strongly believe these puppies account for some weight!) I hit my all time high weight in December which was 176. Since then, I've been doing my research and not just dieting but eating properly. I calorie count using Spark People and adhere to about 1200-1300 calories per day, 135 carbs, 30 fat, and at least 60 protein. I also consume about 3 liters of water per day.

I do not have cheat days since I look at the big calorie number needed to be hit by the end of the week for my Saturday weigh ins. I do, however, drink alcohol once per week, usually on Saturday evenings. I've switched from beer to rum and diet coke, of which I can never have more than 4!

I was doing cardio elliptical intervals for 1hr about 5x per week (machine said about 680 cals burned..I know that number is bloated!) but I inflammed the tendonitis in my knee and took about 3 weeks off while resting it and taking prescribed medicine for it.I've been back to the gym about 3-4 times per week using the elliptical for 30-35 minutes since the injury.

If you look at my before and after, I've gone from 176 to 166 in almost 3 months!!! I was 165.2 two weeks ago, 165.0 last week, and now this week went to 166. I am anticipating my period this weekend and missed it last month due to the stress in losing my beloved dog to cancer. But it still doesn't make sense!!! Two years ago, I was 172 and hit the gym and only eating 1100 cals per day and consistently dropped 2lbs per week for about 8 weeks and ended up at 146. That time I did all of the "fads" and took Hydroxycut, etc. This time I'm actually eating healthy, whole foods and it's not coming off. I've tried to be patient but at thiss point, 10 pounds in almost 3 months is not acceptable!! Advice?????????? (Sorry it's so long!)
charleston424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #2  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I only speak from experience, so take this with a grain of salt.

I went from steadily losing 1.5lbs/week to losing nothing for a month. I had been eating 1300-1400cal and NOT exercising and losing. Then I got a gym membership and went from no exercise to 60min cardio 5 times/week and 30min strength 3 times/week. I actually lowered my calories.. Now I was working out 5-6 times/week and eating 1200-1300 cal. My weight loss came to a complete standstill for a month. 150.5 to 149.5 day after day after day. I worked out harder, counted my calories more obsessively, drank more water, etc...didn't change.

I was finally convinced by a few on here that I simply was not feuling my body enough (taking in enough calories) to be an effective weight burning machine. My body was so hungry and overworked that it was hanging onto every ounce of energy it could. So, reluctantly, I took two days off exercising, ate 1600 cal each day, then a 1300cal day with no exercise. In those 3 days, I dropped 3lbs and they've stayed off. I then resumed a more moderate exercise schedule (60min cardio 4 times/week, 30 min strength 3 times/week) and have been eating more calories. On workout days I eat 1600, and on rest days, I eat 1300. I've been losing steadily again, about .2-.4lbs every two days.

Again, I don't know all the details, but your situation sounds a lot like what I just went through. Low cal diet, lots of exercise, barely losing. I know it sounds scary, but TRY giving your body a break and upping the calories for a few days. Then resume with a higher cal intake on exercise days. Try it for a week, perhaps, and see if it helps the scale budge. And believe me, upping the calories by that much seems huge, for the first few days I was trying to figure out how to stuff 1600 cal in, it seemed like so much food. But it helped me bust through my plateau.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  
soosie417

A lot of times we are not patient enough and think we need to really cut those calories. That's not how this works. There are many reasons pounds do not fly off us, one being over working yourself and under eating. Even stress, seriously, it is a proven fact that if you workout, eat right and have a lot of stress, your body goes into fight or flight mode, it will hang on to every fat cell until you have settled down. I am almost 51 and I have been through it all, try not to focus on calories ok? Good food, some weight training and PROTIEN! Try mediataing also. Do any of you have a Ipod Touch?? I use mine all the time, for calories in and calories out, it's jsut that simple.
But if you really are out of shape it will take a whole lot more to lose a little. Your muscles is what sets your calorie burn rate. Start slow, like yourself and be patient ;o)
soosie417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #4  
flexitarian

S/C/G: 207/142/138

I agree with soosie and meghan. Stress and cutting your cals too low will cause weight loss to stall.
amaniesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/153.4/130

thanks for the advice ladies! megan, my boyfriend has been bugging me to add more calories to the day but I guess the fear I have it I get worried about how many I'll have for dinner so by the end of the work day I'll be at like 500 and then I won't be as hungry as expected for dinner so I don't eat a lot..haha it's definitely a challenge.

soosie-I think i've done a good job with adding in the good foods and cutting the bad stuff out. I do need to get back to weight training. I don't like free weights and my gym only has them..I plan on rejoining my old gym next week. I have an iPhone so I definitely use the Spark People app to track all calories, water, and exercise. I'm trying to be patient but 10 pounds in about 12 weeks is making it hard!

Thanks again for the quick replies ladies.
charleston424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11

I have recently discovered this myself. I realized some days I wasn't even eating 1100 calories, but still doing extreme cardio/strength training workouts, and I wasn't seeing the scale budge at all. I started forcing myself to eat 1600 calories (160-healthy weight x 10) I have only been doing it for a few days and have already lost 1lb. So im starting to be a believer too Good luck!
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #7  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I eat 1800 kcals a day, and I work out about 15 minutes. I know it sounds like high cals and low workout, but I've changed the things I eat as well, like low carbs and whole foods. I'm loving it because I am dropping weight. I know as I loose those calories will have to also come down, but really I don't think you are eating enough.
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote