Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Gum: Friend or Foe?

I hear a LOT that you should chew gum. It reduces cravings and gives you something to do! Makes sense. It's yummy too.

But for me, it does the opposite. Instead of my cravings reduced, my sweet tooth wants more yummy little sweets! It also makes me terribly hungry. (I'm not sure if it's because it makes me forget to eat though, or if it's the gum itself.)

On the one hand, they say chewing tricks you brain into thinking it's eaten. Or something like that. But on the other hand, they say when you chew gum, you salivate and when you salivate, a signal gets sent from your brain to your stomach that food is on its way, and you begin to produce gastrointestinal juices...then, the food never comes, leaving you feeling hungry - because you told your brain that food was on the way, yet it wasnt.

What's your experience with gum? Do you like it, or avoid it?

Last edited by Wild Vulpix; 03-21-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Gum does work for me -- it seems to trick me into thinking I'm eating, or something.

But I can see how other people might get the opposite result. I guess it's an individual thing...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #3  

I avoid it. I have expensive dental work that it can mess up. Gum also has sorbates (sugar alcohols) that do a number on my intestines.

One of my pet peeves is people chewing gum to beat the band while talking to me or chewing gum with their mouth open.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

This is going to sound really crazy but... Last time I did the WL thing, for me, gum was a friend and foe. When I was chewing it I didn't feel as hungry, but the sugar in it made me want more (that sweet taste!), so I'd end up eating half the pack lol. Also, I used gum as a distraction when walking on the treadmill. I eventually started having a toothache. I realized the harder/faster I walked, the harder/faster I chewed the gum. So, this time I'm staying away from gum. But of course that's just part of my weirdness lol.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #5  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Gum absolutely does not satisfy me like eating does. My brain is not so easily tricked, lol. I sometimes enjoy a sweet fruity gum just for the gum itself, but not as a replacement for a snack.

It also sometimes makes me feel hungrier. Like I'm chewing and chewing and my stomach is wondering where the food is, lol.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #6  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I used to chew gum, but it made me feel really unsatisfied. I like having whole mouthfuls of food to chew! It also made me very conscious of my mouth, and somehow thinking about my mouth just led me to think more about food. So I don't buy it anymore. I just drink water, or flavored water, or tea instead -- it usually knocks out the hungry feeling because then my stomach feels full.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #7  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

For me spearmint flavored gum (sugar free of course) does wonders for my diet. I think mostly because a lot of my eating is emotional/habit tho, so already chewing something keeps my mind off the hand to mouth motion I crave.
I will say tho, that fruity flavored gum ALWAYS makes me hungry and aggravates my sweet tooth. I mean always. I have to stick with mint flavors.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I mostly chew gum after meals, since chewing sugar free gum after eating is good for your dental health. The only time I use it for weight loss purposes is when I'm not hungry, but around something tempting. I'll use a strong flavored mint gum to mess up the flavor of whatever is calling me.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #9  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Gum has always made me feel hungry and slightly nauseous. So I leave it alone.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #10  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I like it in the short-term if I'm prepared, like if there is a half hour until lunch and I have brought it with me but I need something NOW then gum is great. But it definitely increases my hunger pangs, so I would only ever have it when I know exactly what I'm eating that day.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 219/219/140

Height: 5'5"

I don't care for gum because I feel like I'm chewing rubber. I occasionally chew a piece for a minute or two after eating something like onions or garlic, but I spit it out so quickly it isn't really worth it.
Twitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Gum makes me bloated, so I avoid it. Also I can't chew gum at work and since I'm there most of the time, I also have to avoid it. Tic-tac, or water helps me when I'm feeling hungry.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I chew gum alot. I won't use it as a snack replacement, but if I'm in a "grazing" mood, then I grab a stick of gum. I count the calories in the gum (always sugar free). I use both mint and fruit flavors, at different times. It works really well for me, because then I won't stand in the kitchen eating anything I can get my hands on.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I like gum when I'm cooking to stop me from "tasting" everything. Or if I'm out with friends and they order drinks/appetizers/something i don't want, I'll chew gum to keep my mouth busy.

But I dont like using gum instead of a snack or to curb a craving.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #15  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

Gum helps me. I have a piece at night when I'm reading so as to not snack (because I'm not actually hungry then, it's just I've developed this lifelong habit of continually snacking while reading) and throughout the day. I do it mostly to help with my CRAZY oral fixation though, not really to do with hunger. Flavored water helps me with the hunger. If it's the sweetness that does it, maybe try cinnamon or wintergreen gum?
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote