Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #1  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Default Food Help

I'm single, live by myself and I don't know how to cook. Is it possible to lose weight and not cook? Does anyone have any (very)easy and healthy recipes that helped them jump start their culinary adventure?

TIA everyone!!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  

Whole wheat pasta and tomato sauce filled with lots of yummy veggies(zucchini, squash, peppers, anything be creative!) is healthy when measured properly, brown rice and beans is also pretty yummy and easy to make, you can get frozen veggies in the frozen section and just steam them and they come out pretty yummy. If you get desperate, I like the Healthy Choice frozen meals in a pinch, they seem relatively low in sodium. Hope this helps a little!(I am not a great cook either).
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157.8/157.8/130

Height: 5'5

I live by myself (without the boy friend) during the week.. I can have a good meal on the table in 30 minutes flat..

I cook a box of pasta then freeze in 1 cup portions.. I do the same thing with rice.. These are staples always have them.. They are also a great portion control tool..

Every night for supper I have a meat, starch, and a veggie or two..

I take my meat out as soon as I get home so it thaws a bit. Here are some of my staple meals

Mexi Rice

Saute in a little bit of oil
1 cup of black beans
1/2 cup of corn
1 cup of tomatoes
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup onions

add your bag of frozen rice and some taco seasoning.. Top with Fat free sour cream and a little bit of light old chedar cheese and it is to die for..

Creamy Chicken Fettucini
1 chicken breast
1 favorite seasoning
2 laughing lite cow wedges
1 cup spinach
1 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup pasta

Cut your chicken in strips saute in a little olive oil. Add your favorite seasoning. Make sure your chicken is cooked.. Add the milk spinach and mushrooms and bring to a boil. Then add you Laughing Cow cheese and pasta let it all melt and serve.. Easy simple and delicious..

Chicken Fingers and Fries
1 chicken breast
1/2 cup skim milk
2 tbsp of italian bread crumbs
1 medium potato
2 tsp of olive oil
pam
Clubhouse Vegtable seasoning

Cut the potatoes into fries.. add the oil and coat the Clubhouse vegtable spice. Coat a cooking sheet with pam then back the fries til crispy. Cut up chicken breast into strips. Coat with milk then bread with the crumbs.. you can either bake these in the oven or lots of times I saute then in a frying pan with pam or a little olive oil.. Serve this with a salad and it is my go to comfort food..

Veggie Chicken
1 chicken breast
1/2 cup onions diced
1 cup of peppers diced
1 cup of carrots diced
1 cup of tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
Clubhouse Vegtable Seasoning

Saute chicken breast until fully cooked then add all the diced vegtables.. Serve it on a bed of rice... with some salsa.. So yummy

Beef Stirfry
Beef stirfry chunks ( you can also use chicken, shrimp, pork, any meat really)
1 bag of bean sprouts
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup baby corns
1/2 cup onions
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup peppers
1/2 cup terriaki sauce
1 cup of rice

Saute beef in a little pam or olive oil.. Add the rest of the veggies and a little water to the pan.. Steam until everything is cooked add sauce.. Serve on Rice..

I am a firm believer that everyone can cook.. And I also am a huge fan of 1 pan meals with lots of veggies.. These are some of my fav's hope this helps...
s200n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

This is another reason why I started the "what did you eat today thread" view it you can get ideas from there and feel free to post when you feel like posting your meals. I really think that thread would benefit us all. Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #5  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I agree that the wheat pastas and stuff are great. You can mix veggies or grilled chicken or whatever into it and usually have enough for several meals! I might have some tonight!

I like to buy things that I can mix and match in a way: like wheat wraps, wheat bagels, deli turky, tuna and baby spinach. So I can have the turkey on a sandwhich, a wrap, or alone as a snack. Same for the tuna!

I'm also a big fan of lean cuisines, the green giant healthy weight veggies and the 200 calorie frozen pizzas.

Good luck girl
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #6  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Talking

Really great ideas so far

Here are some other ones

1.) Roast vegetables like butternut squash, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, or onions with olive oil, salt, pepper... throw it in a blender with some heated chicken stock (from a box) and voila! Soup that you can drink all week with toasted whole grain breads. (just watch the sodium content)

2.) If you roast whole chicken, you can use all the parts for sandwiches, wraps, quesdillas/fajitas. (or even buy rotisserie chicken)

3.) Grilled chicken breasts, salmon or shrimp with some salt/pepper. Add some citrus juice over it like lemon or lime with some fresh herbs. Serve with brown rice. Fresh "salsa" with corn, lemon juice, red onion, jalepenos, garlic, salt/pepper goes really well with seafood too

4.) Love wheat pastas! You can make simple spaghetti sauces with tomatoes, onions, garlic and ground turkey! (add in zucchini, mushrooms for added vegetables/fiber)

5.) Snacks - Nuts, Cereals, Dark Chocolate, Green Tea, Popcorn, Pretzels, Fruit, Vegetable sticks, Cereal

I love cooking so I definitely look forward to preparing meals for myself and my bf. This journey actually made me become a better cook because I use a lot more fresh ingredients.

Last edited by InControl2Day; 01-05-2010 at 08:54 PM.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Of course it's best to try to cook your own food (since you can control what goes in it), but there are so many great convenience foods out there now. I try to do the "semi-homemade" route and make my own food but with some help from the grocery store. The biggest tip is just to read those labels. I put some of my recipes below that are pretty straight-forward to make and YUMMY. If you ever need any recipes or cooking tips at all, message me! I heart cooking.

My fav easy go-to ideas:

Pasta
1 box whole wheat pasta
1 jar store-bought sauce (check out the all-natural tomato sauces in the store, and when I feel like some alfredo, I get Ragu's light alfredo)
Frozen veggies of any kind (pick your favs)

Cook the pasta according to the directions. Meanwhile, put the sauce in a pan on the stovetop, add in the veggies straight from the freezer, put the lid on and heat on medium until warmed through. This makes lots of servings - so you can portion them out and freeze them until you're ready - or just don't make the whole box of pasta at once. Be warned though, pasta sauce only lasts in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days (if that). Freezing portions is the best route. Eat with a yummy salad (dressing on the side).

Black Bean Burger
1 Whole wheat bun (check the label and stay away from any that say "enriched" flour)
Morningstar frozen black bean patties (these are DELICIOUS, packed with fiber, protein, and veggies, and low in calories...try them out!)
Toppings (tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles, etc.)

Cook the patty according to the box (stovetop is best). Eat with some steamed veggies, baked potato chips, etc.

Stirfry
1 package frozen stirfry veggies
skinless chicken breast (or leave out completely like I do)
1 serving of jarred sauce (check labels for the least amount of sodium and lowest calories)

There are stirfry directions on the vegetable bag. Eat with some brown rice (I like those quick rice bags that you just throw into water...easy cheesy).

Mini pizzas
100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thins
Jarred pizza sauce
Your choice of toppings (try 2% mozz cheese, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.)

Preheat the oven to 425. Put your sandwich thins on a baking sheet and spray them with cooking spray. Put in the oven for 5 minutes (just to start crisping them up). After 5 minutes, take them out and put on your sauce and toppings (obviously, watching your calories with the toppings). Put back in the oven for about 10-15 mins, depending on how crispy you want them. Just check them a lot the first time you cook them to make sure they don't burn in your oven. Eat with a big ol' salad.

Tacos
1 or 2 yellow corn taco shells
Toppings (mine are vegetarian so I use lettuce, tomato, avocado, black olives, and salsa)

Cook the shells according to the box. 2 shells have less than 200 calories if I remember correctly...or somewhere around there. And they take care of my taco bell cravings! Top with the healthiest toppings you can...skip the sour cream and cheese. If you'd like to add meat, try shredded chicken breast cooked with a packet of taco seasoning. Eat with a serving of canned fat free refried beans mixed with some salsa for some more healthy protein.

Grilled Sandwich and Soup
2 slices whole wheat bread
Tiny amount of light butter (check the labels)
1 slice reduced fat cheese (I love Sargento colby jack)
Sliced turkey (for added protein if you eat meat)
Any other sandwich toppings you like (I like adding tomato to mine...plus a little mustard and light miracle whip. Get creative to change things up. Sky's the limit)
1 serving of low-fat, low-calorie canned soup (check your labels...watch for sodium)

Make your sandwich. Spread a little butter on each side (as little as you can manage), and grill in a pan over medium to medium-high heat (about a 6 if your knobs have numbers). Eat with your yummy soup that you microwaved.

Last edited by angee phalangee; 01-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I miss living alone for this very reason!

I lost 70+ pounds and lived alone (this was before I met DH) and I loved it because I was only accountable for me! I wasn't cooking for anyone else's taste buds and if I wanted cottage cheese and tomato with chive, no one was going to look at me like I was crazy.

Seriously though, I did a lot of experimenting and really fell in love with the tactile aspect of food- the chopping and dicing and peeling... as well as all the new smells and colors of the foods I was working with. This is a great opportunity to buy things you would never buy (asparagus, for example. I was always afraid of asparagus until I put on my big girl pants and bought a bunch).

At first, I really stuck to the things I knew. If I liked them and they were good for me, then I ate them. As I became more knowledgeable about nutritional values I branched out a little more (I only found 3FC after I hit goal).

A daily menu when I first started looked like this:
Breakfast: soy or green smoothie
Lunch: almonds, cheese, carrots, fruit
Snack: cottage cheese and tomato or avocado
Dinner: big green salad with grilled chicken
snack: fruit

Also, 3FC is a wonderful resource for new recipes as well. There really isn't a forum on here where I haven't poached a recipe from
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote