Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default The Emotional Rollercoaster of Weightloss

I'm now a little over a month into my restarted weight loss journey. This is the longest serious attempt I've had in years. I'm involved in the 12 weeks to take off challenge, which has been keeping me on plan. I'm doing well and am down 12 pounds.

One thing I've REALLY noticed this time around is how all over the place my emotions have been. One day I'll feel like a zen master at weight loss, nothing can tempt me, I'm full of energy and I'm positive that it's going to happen. Then the next day I literally have to sit on my hands to not eat everything in sight and feel like I'm too fat to live. It's like I'm bi-polar.

I think part of the problem is, weight loss is the only thing I'm doing right now. I'm working on getting a job but my attitude has been "If I lose 30 pounds this summer, it will be a success no matter what" plus this is the heaviest I've ever been and I REALLY want to get back into my "college chubby" range.

I've pretty much accepted that this is just part of the package and something I'm going to have to deal with. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the ups and downs.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I'm having the same problems, up and down moods... but in my defense I've always had anxiety problems and I quit taking my meds to try to do the "organic" way and tried working on ME.... but I'm the exact same way.. one day I am soooooo happy and the next I am like ready to curl up and cry(with popcorn, ice cream, chocolate syrup and a kitkat of Course)
I just try to stay strong, tell myself it's going to be okay, I have more good days than bad and I'm certain that is a step in the right direction

Just hang in there!
We're all here for support along the way!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #3  

Actually the comment about "having more good days than bad days" helped a lot. I'm definitely in this boat. It just seems like I get a ton of momentum then, out of nowhere I start feeling low.

I think I need to work on not getting so high when things are good. Try to keep my emotions more even keel. Be calmly happy when the numbers are good, and not that rattled when things slow down.

Also I haven't been running the past few days. I'm resting for my 5K tomorrow. Running has been a bit of a meditation for me lately. I like to sit on a bench overlooking the water when I'm done with my run and think of all the things I'm grateful for. This practice has really been helping me stay positive. I think the combination of not exercising and missing this meditation for the past 3 days has contributed to my low mood. I'm feeling a bit better today though. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #4  
Junk Warrior

S/C/G: 275/241/180

you seem like your doing great to me! we are the same height and you are at a weight I would be super stoked to have! But I know what you mean. Its almost like a tsunami made of crazy washes over you lol when that happens thats when I know that losing weight is the only thing on my mind for too long and if I dont start distracting myself or have a little fun then I'm going to have a breakdown. you have to level dieting with some off time. It's stressful to obsess about losing weight constantly. find something to get lost in like a book or video game. its ok to have fun
BowandArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowandArcher View Post
Its almost like a tsunami made of crazy washes over you
this made me laugh

Sometimes I feel happy about where I am now and others I just want to never leave my house (hence the mood swings).

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've kind of put my life on hold while I try to lose 30 pounds (and get a job) this summer. I'd rather wait until my life situation is a little more stable before I have to go out and make small talk. I'm starting to re-think this strategy becasue it's starting to make me insane.

On the flip side I'm on track to meet my goal and only have 8 weeks left. I think I'm going to try to find a happier medium. Maybe go out with people I've seen recently and wait on the people who haven't seen me since I was 175. I dunno. Having weight loss be my main focus at the moment has definately contributed to the extent to which I get caught up in the highs and lows.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #6  
Junk Warrior

S/C/G: 275/241/180

ugh. Ive been spending a lot of time in my house since spring semester ended and Its driving me CRAZY because I dont have anything to distract me. it's easy to diet when you dont have time or access to food, but sitting in my house all day being constantly tempted is just...annoying. sadly I dont have any friends since im new to the area but i think i'm going to walk around the mall today, just to kill some time. I have no money so im not worried about buying junk food haha I'm too broke to binge!

good luck on finding balance!
BowandArcher is offline   Reply With Quote