Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/162.4/130

Height: 5'6

Default Feeling low -- need a little uplifting

Well not to mention that its is TOM which maybe adding to these "bluey" feelings but lately things aren't quite rolling at my end.

I applied to dental schools this year. This is my second time applying. My applications were completed in mid sept. They begin apps in june. Anyways -- my stats are good I think. The test we have to take I did really well on it. My GPA is ok ok but still good compared to a lot of applicants. So many people with about same stats as mine have received a lot of interviews and I haven't recieved even 1 interview. Infact I have 6 rejections already. This is so depressing. It is like last year except worse because last year i did bad on the test and i could accept the rejections but this year my scores are quite competitive. I still have quite a few schools who I have not heard from but the longer you dont hear the more nervous you get because if they wanted you wouldn't they have invited you already?? This is so depressing -- did I mention this is my 2nd time applying and if it is not now then I dont knwo what will i do. I have wasted 2 years of my life already.

Then next thing is a stupid job. I graduated from UCLA with a biology degree. you would think I could get a reasonable research job. But I have not gotten a job yet. This is killing me. NO SCHOOL -- NO JOB -- I AM A LOSER.

To top is all off, i am having relationship trouble. Like major "THE END" kind of trouble.

"sigh" !!
sweettooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Aw I'm sorry- with the job it's not you- it's just the economy- I know it sounds crappy but get a job doing ANYTHING- it's always easier to find a job when you already have one it seems. I have a master's degree and was laid off from my job and actually spent 4 months washing dishes at a lab before I got the job I have now! I totally felt like a loser- specially when I had a $30,000 bill waiting for me to pay it! Find a job doing whatever- money is money- eventually something will come up!

Keep applying for the school- it will happen- don't give up hope

Who knows- maybe getting rid of the "extra baggage" will make life easier... New school- new start?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/211

Height: 5'8"

I totally know how you feel. I applied 3 years in a row to get into the teaching program at the University here in Regina. After the first time I went to the University and just took freshman classes that I knew would transfer and then the 2nd year I went to the technical college and took an Educational Assistant program to get some classroom experience and show I was serious and I still didn't get and my grades were actually super great. Sometime I think they just play eenie meeie miney mo with those stupid applications. I wasted 2 years of my life and I still don't get to do what I want to do. So now I'm working full time (at I job that's not so bad) and taking an arts degree part time just so that I can get something out of all of this.
Don't take it personally and who knows maybe something better will come along.
jcourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

maybe you should call up the schools that havent responded yet and make sure they got your applications? Even if they did, it makes you look keen which might help. Get feedback from the ones that rejected you- what were they looking for that you didnt fit? How can you improve in the future?

I agree with beerab- get a job doing anything at all, money always takes off a bit of pressure. Have you tried getting a research job at the uni where you got your degree?

Good luck with the relationship I hope it works out, but if it doesnt maybe it just wasnt meant to be
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

sweettooth, the application process sounds brutal...and I'm about to go through it myself. That's definitely something I'm not looking forward to, but I figure it's about time I take my life seriously.

I can offer some advice on getting the research job. Are you still living near UCLA? Or another decently large university? If so, look up some professors who are doing what you're interested in or what you have some experience in from college. And then email them asking for a job, or even a volunteer experience if they don't have the money to pay you. Like beerab said, these things turn into paying jobs in no-time.

That's how I found my current job and have been working here for about a year now. I actually got employed during the brunt of the economic downturn, so with enough persistence and good research on professors, you can definitely find a job. Also, you can look into companies in your area and even though they may not be advertising for jobs, email some of the people who do interesting work and ask them if you can come in for an interview or something. If all else fails, meet with them for advice or to network a bit. Even if they don't have a position open, maybe they know someone or can point you in a different direction. Same goes for the profs at the university. Meet with them even if they don't have any positions for you.

And what I mean by experience from college...I did a project my senior year in a class related to what I'm doing now and just claimed it as research experience. Even though I wasn't getting paid for that work (since it was a class project), I still had to do all the research, write-up, and analysis. So it definitely counts as experience. And that's how I got the job!

Be prepared to send out quite a bit of these emails, and you may need to follow up on a few, but since you'll only have to amend them a bit to direct them at whatever the professor is doing, it won't take too long.

PM me if you'd like to talk more about this or need an example of emails I sent out.

Good luck with everything!
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #6  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, that's tough. I'm not too far from when I went through the medical school application process. It sucks, no way around it.

Are you applying to a variety of schools? Like some higher tier, middle tier, lower tier. It sounds like your scores are better - schools will wanna know also what you've been productive with in the last year.

Did you contact schools that rejected the first time around? Sometimes you can have a conversation with the admissions department and they'll tell you what they were looking for in an application that may have been lacking from yours.

Call the schools you haven't heard from yet. This is often perceived as increased interest and can sometimes lead to an interview. I did that with med school and it lead to getting a couple more interviews and actually got me off the waitlist into the school of my choice in the end.

Good luck with the job and relationship stuff too! Things will turn around!!
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/162.4/130

Height: 5'6

beerab Hi thanks for replying. I think I will have to do that. I did pass on a technician job opportunity a year ago because it was not going to pay much at all and the driving was insane. I already have this part time tutoring job which pays me well but not enough hours. Plus it isnt what I want to do for life. So I think I will go for a job even if it pays a little less because its about time i start getting some experience.

jcourtney hey thanks a lot. Yeah applying over and over is stressful but I still have a little bit of hope.

iconised ghost i did get confirmation emails form school for my apps. I was calling them last month to make sure they have everything. But I think I will do it again this week or next week. I just felt like the schools wouldn't like the students annoying them with so many phone calls. But I have heard from a few others that calling may help. So starting tomorrow I am doing it again. thanks

augeremt Hey thanks a lot I had emailed a few professors in a university close by but it is such a competitive place --- stanford -- that it is extremely difficult. So I gave up and I think I need to do that again. Unfortunately I don't live near the univ i graduated from so i don't have contacts with any professors. Are yo applying to dental schools too soon? Good luck with it.

april714 hey -- i did apply to high middle and low tier schools. I emailed a few universities who rejected me but all of them didn't get back. 2 of them sent me very generic emails saying like -- your DAT was low or your GPA was low. But that is pretty much what they tell everyone.

Thank You ladies , you are all so wonderful. I will try the things you have said and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!
sweettooth is offline   Reply With Quote