Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #1  

Default Workout routine at the gym?

Since school has started I've started going back to the gym instead of doing workout videos at home. The problem is...there are so many workout machines so I never really know what I should use and for how long to get a really good workout in. I usually take group exercise classes but this quarter those don't fit well into my schedule.
What do you guys usually do/use when you go to the gym?
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #2  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I'm more of a cardio person, so I usually do 45-75min of cardio, usually a spin class or a combination of elliptical and treadmill. I just started doing some free weights bc I like them better than the machines, just for my upper body. I do a couple of kinds of bicep curls, some shoulder exercise, and crunches. You can work on the muscle groups you want, and a good site for learning which exercises to do is stumptuous.com.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i like to alternate between cardio and free weights. Your gym probably has something that will introduce members to the machines (my gym calls it the gym explorer or something) and teach you how to use them and what each is for, maybe you should see if that would help?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Ask the staff at the gym to show you how to use them. They definitely should be eager to help! They can also advise you on what weights you should be lifting etc, to tone muscle and lose weight, rather than bulk up. The general rule is you choose lower weights and do more repititions for toning. Don't go too hard!
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #5  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

There's some good information on this page: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/t...se_instruction that gives an alternate perspective to/debunks the "general rule" that women should do more reps at lower weights. I've heard that too, but I've also heard that there is no such thing as "toning" and to build muscle you have to lift heavy weights. Bc of women's hormones, it makes it hard for us to bulk up anyway so don't worry about turning into the hulk. To see a difference, you have to build up the muscle and burn the fat on top so you can see definition. Obviously you can't "spot reduce" so that's why it's important to include cardio and healthy eating to burn body fat while building up muscle.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/*ticker*/199

Height: 5'6

I do 40mins of cardio, lately it has been a combination of treadmill and bike, sometimes rowing machine.

Then it's 30mins of weights on the machines and ab cruncher. I'm so tired by the end of it but it's a good tired.
Tickle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #7  
sugar is the devil

I follow the routines in "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It explains the benefits of lifting free weights, nutrition when lifting, step-by-step on how to do the routines, etc.

It's a very good read and I have seen great improvements in my body!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/274/155

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nikki View Post
Ask the staff at the gym to show you how to use them. They definitely should be eager to help! They can also advise you on what weights you should be lifting etc, to tone muscle and lose weight, rather than bulk up. The general rule is you choose lower weights and do more repititions for toning. Don't go too hard!
Wow thanks I didnt know that you should go lower weight and do more reps for toning, I've been doing it all wrong! Thanks for the tip!
sdrenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #9  

great ideas, thanks guys

thanks for the helpful link forestroad
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I go normally at night (when I'm home to the track) or just in general if I'm going to the gym. If I go on the track, I try to go like an hour before sunset so it's nice and breezy! If I go to the gym, I do about 5-10min elliptical to warm up; 20-40 min (if I can) treadmill; 20-30min elliptical or bike. Then, sometimes I do 20 min of leg presses/weights focusing on my legs. I wish I could use the situp machine thing... but it's so hard to do even without weights. lol.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote