Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

Default The Biggest loser makes me CRY

because it's so damn inspirational. I saw the first episode of season 8 today (found it on youtube, heheh) and was bawling like freako 5 minutes in! I just love this show so much. Is it just me? I start tearing up over the smallest of things....
The contestants are so inspirational, they are truly heroes to anyone watching struggling with a weight problem or not! and Bob and Jillian are just infinite amounts of awesome. I love how they're determined to change lives of these strangers but at the same time be their friends. Also, I have a big crush on Bob that helps. Jillian scares the crap out of me but I love her to death! she gets people MOVING! lol I'm sooo pumped that the show is on. I miss it so much every time it finishes. For anyone who needs a kick in the butt, put this show on. Seriously. It'll change your life.
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11

Me and my bf watched it on the phone together and we were both in tears. I love biggest loser!
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

I don't know how people can watch this garbage. You do realize the whole point of the show is to exploit and make fun of overweight people right?
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

It doesn't really matter what the intent of the producers are. I hear no-one making fun. I see trainers not accepting excuses in the gym and I see people who are trying desperately to change their lives for the better. I also get several really good recipes every season.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkman View Post
I don't know how people can watch this garbage. You do realize the whole point of the show is to exploit and make fun of overweight people right?
I don't think the creators/producers are trying to do anything more nefarious than make a whole bunch of money. I think that if the people behind the show wanted to encourage us to make fun of the contestants, they would film and arrange things a lot differently. (Take a look at More to Love, where there's definitely a little of this going on at times.) It honestly seems like they want us to relate to the contestants, not mock them.

I think I've watched an average of 1 episode per season... it's too slow for me, just like almost all reality shows. (Any reality TV moments worth seeing will end up on The Soup anyway. ) So I'm not saying this as a fan.

I just think they're taking advantage of the fact that we're a country where MOST people are overweight, and a huge percentage of us are "dieting" at any given time. Watching these people lose huge amounts of weight is dramatic and exciting. And it encourages us to keep obsessing about our own weight, which then leads us to want to watch more weight-related TV... it's all circular. People have to like and admire the show to be willing to buy their books and DVDs, and the trainers' diet pills, etc.

Last edited by mayness; 09-17-2009 at 09:18 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

I have a really big problem with The Biggest Loser. I don't see it as making fun of overweight people, but its not realistic! Take anyone, put them on a ranch, don't let them eat "normal food" and have them work out 8 hours a day - I'd be at 150 lbs by the end of the month!

My issue is they don't teach these people how to maintain, or how to live a healthy lifestyle. They go from one extreme to another - and that's not good for the body or the mind. They stress "living healthy, etc. etc." and the whole premise is the furthest thing from HEALTHY.

I also don't like Jillian. At all. I understand some people need a "kick in the butt," as many put it, but I'm not like that, so the whole show really turns me off. If you're mean to me, I shut down. I do much better with someone saying "Keep going! You're doing a great job!" than "MOVE DON'T TOUCH THE ARMS ON THAT TREADMILL."

I also don't like how the whole atmosphere turns catty. I watched one season with my mom - I don't know if they're all like this, but they had sent people "home" and then brought them back on the show. This one girl did SO WELL at home, she got to the ranch and didn't want to follow Jillian's routine - they were SO MEAN to her - I was just like yeah, this show is not for me.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11

Of course its not realistic no one can lose 20+lbs in a week its reality tv and a GAME at that but I don't think that they don't benefit from there time on the show either. Most of the people on the show didnt do any kind of exercise or diet before and to bring them on the show they still learn about working out and not living on the food they once were. Sure they cant maintain working out 5+ hours a day but they know what they need to do to maintain. I know how alot of them people feel I was once heavier then some of those woman who have been on the show and it motivates me to know that ANYONE can do it. I have never been a Jillian fan but different strokes for different folks. Look at all the past seasons ALOT of people if given the chance would pick Jillian over Bob. Just my two cents
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

I would like to see how these people are doing 6+ months after they leave.

EDIT - And I understand how it can be seen as inspiring for some people, by the "anyone can do it mentality."

Its not the same for me, because I look at it and think "well of course they're losing all that weight, all they're doing is focusing on weight loss." If it was a show about people working a full time job, going to school, or otherwise "leading a normal life" while working on weight loss, then you've got me on board.

And I have several friends who watch TBL (and who are also working on weight loss) and I feel like it gives them unrealistic goals. A really good friend of mine started her "journey" with me, she's consistently lost 1-2 lbs each week but is SO discouraged because its not as fast as "all those people on tv." While some of us can recognize that THAT'S NOT REALISTIC its because we've been at this for a while. Someone else, who's new to diet/exercise/healthy lifestyle may not realize that they're NOT going to lose 20 lbs a week, and that's not normal or healthy. I feel it just breeds unrealistic expectations. And there are also things that I DON'T think should be a competition, but I understand it motivates a lot of people.

This is all my opinion, as you said, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by stellarosa27; 09-17-2009 at 02:06 PM.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I agree with Stellarose almost 100%. And I too would like to see the maintainance stats on these people. No one can maintain working out 4 hours a day in the real world, unless they work as a trainer!

I do think that they exploit the people on the show. I've only watched this season's first episode, so I dont' have much to go on, but there was waaaay too much zooming in on belly fat so as to disgust the viewer. And the way they saved the biggest girl for last at the weigh-in--they did that on purpose, for dramatic effect.

Even though I think that they exploit those people, I was thinking about how everyone on the show has seen it in past seasons, and they know what the show is, so they know in a way that they're being exploited, it's just worth it to them. So does that make it okay? I don't know.

I'm not sure if I'll become a regular viewer, but I'm going to try it for the first few weeks, see how it goes.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #10  
Started 9/20/09

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'7"

I saw this show for the first time (season 8 premiere) and totally fell in love with it and it ultimately led me to these forums!

Does the show exploit people? Well, it's reality TV. No one forced these people to go on the show so they signed up for everything that comes along with it.

That being said, I've never been obese. I've always just been a bit overweight - but these people move their butts to get going and it's totally an inspiration! This show is just as much about losing the weight as it is about the personal journey these people go through.

No one, a TV show, book, diet, can make you change. You change when YOU decide you want to change and that's what I think this show does a great job of showcasing. Seeing the moments when these people decide they are worth it - and that's what makes me cry!!

Does the show portray a realistic solution that people can follow at home? If anyone remotely thinks that... then they need to wake up (pssst, it's TV!)
But, people do need to see that it does take hard work to lose weight and as Jillian was saying, you've got to stop playing the sob story in your head and move your butt (in so many words, I loved her "I will not co-sign your bull**** excuses")

I'd have to say I'd want to be on Jillian's team! I love the tough love - but that's also my personality.
mara11jade is offline   Reply With Quote