Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #1  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Default Best Cook books for a diet

SO, Im moving out onto my own in four days
and I don't know how to cook healthy for myself or my healthy food challenged bf, and I was wondering what good cook books have you guys used for healthy eating habits.

I mean there is SO much out there I don't know with one is the best for myself.
thanks a bunch!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I haven't actually tried this one yet, I just ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I read about it somewhere online and the sample recipes they gave looked pretty good, also the reviews on amazon were generally positive. It's called "The Everything Flat Belly Cookbook".

I should be getting it early next week. Maybe someone else has tried it?
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

I haven't tried this one yet, either... But I'm planning on ordering it from Amazon once I get back to school. "Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking", by Heidi Swanson

All the recipes just look so fresh and healthy and vibrant!

Also, I'd like to try "The Food You Crave", by Ellie Krieger, a nutritionist on Food Network Channel. I've never watched her show, but perhaps I should.

Though not necessarily diet friendly, a really wonderful wonderful! cookbook is Everyday Italian, from Giada de Laurentiis. Delicious.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #4  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Cook's Illustrated Best Light Recipes.

Absolutely the best cookbook if you still want seriously great versions of your long-standing favorites.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

I got my "The Food You Crave", by Ellie Krieger from my local library. I personally would not advice you to buy the same. All the recipes in the book are available on food network website. They even have her videos of her making all those dishes, not worth spending money i guess
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I was going to say all of Ellie's recipes are online. I watch her show from time to time and I've tried some of her recipes, they're AMAZING. You can still eat great things (read chocolate) just in healthy ways.

Also, after watching the show - I'd say Cook Yourself Thin. They show you how to make your fave recipes just substituting things.

I'm not one for cook books myself, I just use the Food Network's website and based on experimentation, you can substitute things. Like Sunny makes this awesome chicken/potato salad and I've made a lower-fat version by subbing greek yogurt for the mayonnaise.

Also, check out hungrygirl.com - she has lots of recipes and they're the same as in her book. I haven't tried many b/c she uses Splenda A LOT - but she gives you ideas on how to substitute things in your favorite dishes.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Yes, you're probably right that I should just get the recipes off the net, but I'm kind of a cookbook person. I've gotten lots of recipes off the internet, but as I don't have a printer it usually involves me bringing my computer into the kitchen or copying each recipe out by hand.

But I'm also a definite sucker for pictures, and having the ability to spill all the ingredients in a recipe all over my cookbook!
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmel View Post
Yes, you're probably right that I should just get the recipes off the net, but I'm kind of a cookbook person. I've gotten lots of recipes off the internet, but as I don't have a printer it usually involves me bringing my computer into the kitchen or copying each recipe out by hand.

But I'm also a definite sucker for pictures, and having the ability to spill all the ingredients in a recipe all over my cookbook!
Nothing wrong with that

I tend to print them at work (shh) and then I copy them into my own recipe binder, after I've made modifications, etc - so I wind up writing down *my* recipe, not theirs.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote