Old 07-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Default One good (or bad) turn deserves another?

Why is it that when I eat one thing that is a poor choice I tend to just want to make more poor choices? The other day, hubby and I decided to treat ourselves with a lunch out. We went for mexican and I ordered a small burrito and a taco. Long story short the burrito fell apart and I never ate it. So on the way home we stopped by my favorite taco stand to get me another carne asada taco. This was only because I was still hungry and hubby felt bad about our nice lunch gone wrong. The next day I was craving more tacos.. but supressed the craving and had a sandwich instead. But then it came back with a vengeance and I ended up having too much chinese.. now followed by a day of poor choices at the gas station (short lunch period, had to get gas, tempted by the food).

I guess what I'm trying to get at is.. Is this something others have trouble with? What do you do or say to yourself when this happens to snap you out of it?
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162.6/155.4/145

Height: 5'2"

That happens to me too...ill let myself take a bite of the bad stuff and before I know it I am raiding the cubbords of all my boyfriends junk food in the house. Or when I really crave chocolate and try to talk myself out of it and have a peach...and then I eat some crackers and then still the cake. Now when I have a craving for something or decide to treat myself I drink a huge glass of ice water and wait 10 minutes. Then I look at my tracker (I am on WW), decide where I can "save points" and what I can give up later and portion out my choclate and have what I really want. It seems to work MOST of the time! Good luck!
Saffytaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I find that if I cheat a little, I have a really hard time getting back on the wagon. Like if I cheat one day it's a week or more of me binging. And then I struggle to get back on the wagon-but once I do that for a couple of days, I don't even want the crap I binged on. It's like when I am on my diet track for a few days I don't want it anymore, but when I binge there's that little voice in my head that says "you've already blown the day (followed the next day by you've already blown the week) why not have that cookie too?" and then it just snowballs.

So basically if you can avoid the temptation for a couple of days, I've found it's ok. It's just avoiding the temptation for those first few days that are the hardest!
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #4  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Oh, thatīs my downfall....because of that I failed with a lot of weight loss plans. One cookie, day is ruined, second day is ruined because I already proved that I canīt do it, give it up, eat more than before.

I had such a situation yesterday (was invited for Lunch). I always tried to remind myself what one of these natural- thin- never-had- a - weight- problem would do...And I guess this is basically donīt worry about it too much, listen to the body if it really needs more food later in the day or not. As a result I realized that I wasnīt that hungry in the evening and I am back on plan today.

Maybe it just worked one time. But I try to get rid of that "all or nothing" mentality with ruined my efforts so many times.
Kate109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #5  

Thanks guys for the support.
rachiebach - I took your advice today and did the best I could possibly do to keep away from bad food choices today. I actually did it! AND I wanted to work out.
I guess it was a change of attitude and I'm working on getting away from poor choices again. I can't say I'm not tempted, but my weight loss and being healthy (finally) means more to me than the food.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #6  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

The additives in processed foods (such as MSG) lead to cravings for many people. Flour and sugars also cause cravings for many.
You're not crazy. You don't lack willpower. Your body chemistry is just being altered by the initial poor choice.

Last edited by girl81; 07-16-2009 at 03:06 AM.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #7  

I dont normally get tempted when I'm out, except when I go to the movies. yeesh how can i resist???

But when I'm surronded by my bf's junk food, I go and weigh myself. lol. I know that weighing yourself in the middle of the day is not accurte, but it keeps me on track!

ITA with Rach. Once you get into a groove, resisting the bad food becomes second nature.
loveLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #8  

I love the idea of weighing myself when I want to eat bad foods! I know that would help me too. I will have to keep that in mind for sure!
I've also managed to stay away from poor choices again today and, rachiebach, you were totally right. After eating healthy for even just a couple days I don't want that bad food anymore.