Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Hey girls. Are we still training..... I am up to 6 miles. Slowly but surely. I ran outside a couple times and I was little tough to adjust so I am gonna run outside this whole week and then 1/2 and 1/2 her on out so I be used to it come race day.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #32  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I want to run a half marathon but I'm scared to commit. There's a free open registration one in Waterbury on Oct. 4. It should be gorgeous, so I'm kind of aiming for that. Last year I ran a leg of a marathon on a relay team-- 6.5 miles in about 70-75 minutes. I've kind of slacked off on my long distances since then.

About 3 weeks ago I started a training plan that pretty much throws you into the deep end. During the week, you do 2-3 shorter runs, and on Sundays run anywhere from 7-12 miles. I should mention that it's run/walk. Two weeks ago I did the first long run, 9.5mi, running and walking for a combined pace of about 12.5min/mi. Since then I've kept up with the short runs, but haven't been able to get in another long run.

Are any of you run/walking, or just straight up running? I guess I could use some encouragement or advice...maybe checking in with this thread will help me up my commitment.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #33  

forestroad - I am running BUT maybe you can't get into the longer runs because you jumper right inand it sort of "ran" you away. May be you start your longer runs....shorter. I see that you have long before with the 6.5 ( which is long) but since you have taken time off you have lost some mileage ya know? Take a look at Hal Higdons Half Marathon Training Program: Noivce. It starts the long run at 4 miles. And it is a 12 week program so you have plenty of time.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #34  
There Is No Wagon

Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into that program!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #35  

WOW! I got my arse out there and ran the three mile trail around my house and boy was I winded! FOr One I haven't been running outside much (this is my second day since like forever) and FOR TWO i ran my first mile in under 10:00. WOOT WOOT!

Anyway going back out there this evening.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #36  
There Is No Wagon

Cake- congrats on the sub-10min mile!!! I wish I could run that fast. I have some tests tomorrow that I'm supposed to rest for 48hrs beforehand, but I ran a little this morning anyway...4 miles in intervals of running 2mins at 5.5-6.5mph + 1min walking at 3.3mph. My friend who's staying with me for the summer used to be into running so I'm going to see if maybe she wants to be my long distance running buddy, so maybe I can get some motivation going.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #37  
There Is No Wagon

Just checking in...I've done 2 weeks of Hal Higdon's intermediate half marathon training program, but only adhere to it loosely. I ran 6 miles yesterday, and man my pace is a full minute slower than it was last year, which is strange bc I'm running with about 10 fewer lbs on me.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey!

I am running my first half in October and my first 10km in August. My 12 week HM plan starts on the 20th of this month, and right now I am just trying to get in 3 5km runs/week.

I also need to figure out what to do on my cross-training days, as I am supposed to have two of those/week once my schedule starts.

What do you ladies do? Strength or different cardio (swim, bike, walk)?

Thanks! Happy running!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #39  
There Is No Wagon

Here is my schedule:
Mon: hr spin and strength training
Tues: 3mi run, either 3 in a row at a 10min pace, or run/walk intervals
Wed: hr spin
Thurs: 3mi run
Fr: Fun! Bike, hike, walk, swim, etc.
Sat/Sun: one of these days I do my longer distance run; I just finished week 2 which was 6mi. The other day is a fun day, for hiking, swimming, biking (or all three--my favorite thing to do is bike to the trail head at falls of Lana, hike up to the falls, go swimming, hike back to the trail head, and bike home) or a shorter (3mi) run if I feel like it.

As I progress, I'll step up the Tues/Thurs runs as well, to 4 and 5mi distances. Yikes.

I've combined a run/walk program I found on nytimes with Hal Higdons; Higdon has more specific recommendations for pace and intervals, which I basically ignore for no good reason other than I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm shooting for the Waterbury Half Marathon on October 4th, but I really just want to get comfortable running longer distances, so I'm not too serious about making it.

Last edited by forestroad; 07-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #40  

Well on my crosstraining days I pretty just do some other type of cardio such as spinning< arc trainer or waht not. I do not really adhere to a specfic for each thing as long I do the required amount of days...mostly just because I don't how my daywill go or what it will allow for. Also I strength train but not like I should....I mostly stick to calisthenics....
Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #41  

wow, forest, that's an intense schedule! good for you!

thanks for the tips, ladies! i am getting my butt back in gear tonight after not running in over a week. yikes! i hope i remember how

i really want to incorporate at least some ab work, as i heard it helps your long distance running quite a bit, as runners with weak abs tend to lose a lot of energy here during their long runs.

i would also like to do some arm work, mostly for vanity reasons

maybe i will work on a schedule tonight, and post it here for your opinions!

it's nice to have people to chat about this with as all of my "real-life" family and friends are probably sick of hearing about it....

oh! i am also getting a new puppy this weekend, a 7 week old yellow lab, so hopefully she will be a good running buddy!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #42  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnywish View Post
oh! i am also getting a new puppy this weekend, a 7 week old yellow lab, so hopefully she will be a good running buddy!
Oooh! Congrats on the puppy. If you're anything like me, taking the dog out will be huge motivation for keeping up the running program. Just be careful about taking it jogging early on.

Quote:
It is very important not to let your puppy jog or run for too long, especially on pavement, until they reach at least 18 mos. of age. If you are a runner or jogger and want a companion, use grass or dirt surfaces when ever you can and do not start training your puppy till he is at least 18 mos. no exceptions and work up starting with walks to jogging do not flat out start jogging any dog no matter the age. You are asking for orthopedic problems if you are not moderate with your puppy. Running and playing at their own pace is fine on their terms of when it's time to stop. Walking is great. The pressure that is put on the skeleton in repetitive movement such as running or jogging can be really hard on any immature skeleton.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #43  

Becca - ya, i was wondering when i could start taking her for longer runs...guess i'll have to wait a bit! thanks for the info!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #44  

Hey Ladies!

I FINALLY got my butt back out running last night! Did 4.2km in 27 minutes, so not bad after almost 2 weeks off!

I have a Slim in 6 video from my SIL that I might try on my off days...it's a full body strength workout (body weight resistance) but it's cardio at the same time, as your heart rate is elevated throughout...I'll see how that goes fro now!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #45  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

i am so proud of you girls for keeping up your training!! i haven't updated in a long time- about 9 days into the C25k I just gave up on it- my knees were in so much pain.

it just wasn't worth the pain to me. but i am loving cycling
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote