Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #16  

Wow, I was so glad for this thread. A few months ago I was having such problems with my knees that I was having to use my hands and arms to get out of chairs etc. I went to two doctors and they wanted to shoot cortizone in them, wanted me to have an xray (which I did), wanted me to have an MRI (which I didn't) and wanted me to have some neurological testing done (which I didn't). I kept on loosing weight and now down 19 pounds my knees problems have disappeared almost 99%. I am so grateful I could just cry that this has been the case so far. But I don't exercise. If I did I could be dealing with other problems with them so I think there has been some good advice on this threatd.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

maria-Jogging is what is not good for you. please read my original post and the link provided. walk or run, dont jog.

grabec- for every pound you lose, you take 4 pounds of pressure off your knees, thats so good you feel better!!
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #18  

Puff, we can agree to disagree. I'm not buying your source as any kind of great authority.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #19  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

thats just one easy to read source. its actually pretty common knowledge and i have confirmed it with my doctors, a surgeon and nutritionist. i have bad knees and every one of them have said that jogging is the worst thing you can do. all im saying is that jogging puts more pressure on the knees but does not give you any more health benefit than brisk walking. either full out run or walk briskly
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #20  
yes girl

S/C/G: 201.4/179.8/130

Height: 5'0"

Default update

just wanted to update ya'll. i went to see the doc today b/c my knee has really really been hurting. it hurts to walk and i didn't want to injur myself further, so i haven't worked out in about a week. so basically he said i was overdoing it and i should have slowly increased my time on the treadmill, like over months. he said to wear a knee brace, get new shoes, cut my walking time back to about 30 minutes (then increase my time if i choose), no jogging, and continue with my diet. and use ibuprofren/tylenol as needed. so, i guess the good news is that it's not major. but obviously it's going to take a bit longer than expected to lose my weight. i thought i was doomed and i wasnt going to be able to work out anymore. so, i'll get my brace and shoes tomorrow and get back to it.

Last edited by onestar; 04-06-2009 at 09:23 PM.
onestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #21  
Turbo Jammer

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'8"

rainy- sorry this is completely off topic. I just had to say that I love your avatar. "Love Actually" is one of my favorite movies!
missamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #22  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspuffypants View Post
Jogging is TERRIBLE for you. there are no more health benefits than walking fast and its MUCH worse on your knees

http://www.submityourarticle.com/art...iner-46010.php
I am so confused by that article that I don't even know where to begin
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 231/156/150

Height: 5'8''

Talking SImilar Issue

Onestar,

I had the same problem as you, and I had to quit running/jogging altogether. My fiance loves to run and has NO problems, so its not like you CAN'T run/jog ever.

My problem comes from a few different things. First--the doc told you right--you do too much too soon, you are going to cause pain and risk long-term injury. I did that, figuring if I could still breathe at a certain pace, I should keep it up--but my joints and muscles weren't prepared. I also have weak leg muscles so my knees are less stable than they should be. In addition, my legs have uneven strength, so I was putting more wear and tear in on the one side that was weaker. My uneven strength and a past injury seemed to cause one of the knees--the one that hurts--to have supporting connective tissue that was more stretchy than it should be. As a result, my tibia shifts to one side a bit. That puts pressure on my Meniscus (a pouch of cushion between the knee and tibia), causing it to be a little pinched on one side. This is painful. Fortunately, my tibia can be shifted a bit to relieve the pressure on the Meniscus. Once the skinny side fills back in, I have the proper cushioning and the problem goes away. No more pain. It comes back when I pivot my knee with my foot planted on the ground (this makes my tibia shift in the joint.) It's only a slight movement, but it makes the meniscus inflamed. Wikipedia has a great knee diagram. I am too new to post links, lol....sorry.

There are several knee conditions that could cause your pain, and there's even one that sounds similar to my story. But my doctor (and the chiropractor he referred me to) say it isn't a matter of having a condition--its just a combination of physical factors that led me to have a very simply correctable complaint. I choose now not to run/jog because it makes my knee shift out of place more easily, and that means I have to fix it more often.

To shift the tibia, the chiropractor took my shin/foot, with me lying on my back, and did a movement which is easy but that I can't really describe here (and you shouldn't try it anyway unless a doctor says you should). I do it myself now as soon as I feel like I've done something a little silly with my knee and I have not had any serious problems in nearly a year.

This was after I wore a brace for months with no relief.

I think, if you want to run/jog--go slow and build up to running for long stretches. Wear supportive shoes. Watch your posture to maintain alignment of hip/shoulder/spine, etc. Endurance running is an art. For best results, you should pay attention to form. Do not neglect core work (to support your breathing.) Do strength conditioning on your legs like curls/extensions/presses or do squats and lunges--whatever your poison.

I read where you said you had decided not to pursue running after all--since that's also what I had to do, I say good for you--there are other ways to get a good cardio workout. but if you ever decide to go back--once you feel like you are stronger, --just be patient. Bring someone along who is a runner and ask them to watch you run--they can give you tips on your gait, posture, etc.

I still nurture a tiny little hope that one day I will run again (it's junior high gym class failure that has spawned this wish. I want to go back and run that track at the same pace as all the other "normal" kids. Hey--it might be silly, but it could happen.)
littletortugalover is offline   Reply With Quote