Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default still retaining water?

I worked really hard over the last two weeks calorie counting and getting plenty of exercise. When I weighed myself on Saturday I was disappointed to not see any change on the scale but I thought maybe it was just because it was that time of the month (though I didn't feel bloated). Well, my period definitely stopped by Monday and the scale still hasn't moved so I guess I just didn't lose any weight? I know it's possible I gained muscle and lost fat, etc, but I'm still curious, does anyone have any opinion on how long TOM affects weight each month?
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i would say that for me, it can take up to 4 days to actually lose water weight, and thats if im spamming myself with heaps of water. So you could still be retaining water i think
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Water retention can be unpredictable. For me, I can gain up to 10 lbs of just water retention and it's usually starting to dissipate by the time the period is ending, but not always. Sometimes it can take several days after the period is gone for the weight to disappear.

Pushing water helps. Part of the problem for me is that I crave salty foods during my period (the only time of month I'm much of a salt fan), and if I control calories but eat the extra salt, I can see the water weight linger a little longer than if I avoid the salt (Unlike most folks, I tend to have a problem with blood levels of sodium being on the low side, sometimes too low, so if I find myself craving salt, I figure I might "need" it so I eat the salty food and just drink extra water).

Drinking extra water is the most reliable way to get rid of extra water, but it can take a few days. It's possible that you didn't lose any weight, but it's also possible that you still have some water to lose. Drink some extra water, eat some foods high in natural potassium and if you're not opposed to it, a beverage with a bit of caffeine (green tea is supposedly good for releasing water retention. It works well for me, but it could be mostly just the water in the tea, doing the trick). Asparagus is supposedly a natural diuretic, so if you like it, it couldn't hurt to eat some.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3

Thanks guys. Still not much of a change on the scale so probably no loss. Oh well. I will try to drink more water next week.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #5  
rainy

*hugs* if ok

I can relate to what you say but confess I don't have an answer. I just know when I strive so hard for the results, I plateau or get fatter; while when I forget about things I start loosing weight. I don't know how it works but maybe stress plays some part in it. Don't know what to say really, just that I can relate with you and hope you restart loosing weight very soon.