Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Default OT: Mirena

Okay so I got the Mirena IUD two weeks and one day ago. My GYN told that there was to no insertion of any kind ( tampons....NOTHING). Okay so last night was the first night I has sex since I got it. My BF said he could feel it. I was freaking horrified!!!!! Does anyone else have this? Does it settle further uhm "north" and he eventually can't feel it. I mean he said his member was sore. This a little devastating. Any advice would be appreciated....
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

if he can feel it it's in wrong.

i've got the copper version and seriously, he shouldn't be able to feel it. you do have to avoid tampons for around 1 week after you have it in to make sure you don't dislodge it. but it should be in your womb and if he can feel it either he's very very very long or it's in wrong.

get back to your OBGYN

alernatively, adopt the squat position and see if you can feel it. you should be able to efel the strings but nothing else. if you can't feel the strings then he can't feel the IUD itself. if you can but nothing else then he can't feel it.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #3  

foudn this for you out of the advice sheet i was given

"Once the IUS is in place, you won't be able to 'feel' it in your womb. Your doctor will show you how to check for the strings, and it is very unusual for your partner to be aware of it during intercourse. After fitting, a further appointment should be made for six weeks later to check the strings can still be seen. Yearly checks are advised after this appointment."
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I know my ob/gyn trimmed the string shorter, said she found partners said they couldn't feel the string as much.

the IUD is intra-uterine...impossible for him to actually feel the device. Unless of course, your dilated .
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #5  

They can feel the string sometimes when you first have it in. The sting is supposed to soften so that he wouldn't be able to feel it. If it keeps bothering him, your doctor can trim the string.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #6  
Mommy of 3 Boys!

S/C/G: 245/173.6/164

Height: 5'8"

you may need to get your strings cut shorter...sometimes they can feel them. He shouldn't be able to actually feel the iud though. check yourself and see if you can feel the strings.
Blcarter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

i have mirena and my hubby swore he could feel it too. i don't know since i'm not him but either he really could or it's all in his head. maybe the thought of something being in there made him THINK he could- i dunno. haha eaiter way, when i went back to my obgyn he said everything was fine and it was inserted correctly. that was a year ago... so you're not the only one... tell your boy to deal with it.... i wouldn't give my mirena up for anything!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #8  

Thanks Ladies. I know Cora, there is no way I am giving it up but I gosh I don't want it to be uncomfortable. I am gonna check for the strings after the work like Becky and Wendy suggested and go from there. Anastasia I am scheduled for a 6 week check-up in well 4 weeks. I do have alittle cramping today but probably because I paranoid too. Maybe she'll have to cut them shorter who knows.... Again thanks girls
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #9  

a bit of cramping for a while is fairly normal. first time i had sex after mine i had a bit but it goes qucikly. you may also be due on your period. my first 3 were painful (i'm on non-hormonal version). hang in there. it's worth it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #10  
No failure!!!

S/C/G: 265/240/175

Height: 5'10"

He can just feel the strings, they have to have those so when you want it removed they can get it. When the doc inserts it he/she is supposed to trim it so you and your BF can't feel them. I have one and had to go back and get the strings trimmed. I could feel them poking me, it was oooobbbeeerrr uncomfy
nursemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Default Not uncommon...

for Mirena. The strings are made of some sort of wire filament that is really irritating to peenies for some reason. Every woman I know that has had one, their guy complains about it.

I have a copper IUD (paragard) and I chose it because hormones mess me up royally, but when the doc was trying to talk me into a Mirena I got to do a hands on comparison of two sample units, and the Paragard strings are a lot thinner and softer than the Mirena strings. The Mirena strings are almost like... and I really hate to say it, but they seriously reminded me of the thin copper wire that people use for jewelry. The Paragard has some sort of microfiber stuff that feels like fishing line when it's dry, but is really soft and pliable once moisture gets to it. I really have to search for my Paragard strings because they feel like flesh now. I actually freaked out last month because I thought my cervix had a flesh tag ( I know that makes no sense, but that's seriously what they felt like) but it was my paragard.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #12  

Wow Nish I sihould asked this question sooner. SO I the only thing for me to do is have the strings cut shorter.....Crapper this sux!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #13  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

If any of you ladies are looking for vagina related advice, I HIGHLY recommend Vagina Pagina.

It's a highly accepting, positive, safe place for women to post questions and get answers from other women about birthcontrol, sex, orgasms, asexuality etc etc

http://community.livejournal.com/vaginapagina/
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post
Wow Nish I sihould asked this question sooner. SO I the only thing for me to do is have the strings cut shorter.....Crapper this sux!!!!
Yup. That's the route all of my friends with one had to go, and it's not surprising you ended up with one. These doctors must be making bank off of Mirena because they are pushing it like crazy. Ontop of it not being agreeable to male partners, I keep hearing whispers that women are having a hard time getting preggers after they have it taken out. Not a lot mind you, but enough to be noticeable. It's still relatively new, so we'll see how those complaints pan out. It's not that they're sterile or anything, but it's just causing their bodies to take a really long time to ovulate normally again.

I guess it's okay if you're up to getting the regular check-up's since you won't be able to do the self-check anymore. To remedy the problem they will likely cut the strings level with your cervix. And if he's well endowed enough to bottom out (that sounds awful, but I don't know how else to say it. lmfao) it might still cause a little bit of irritation if you're particularly vigorous. Just make sure he's adamant about clearing his bladder immediately afterwards so he won't get an infection. Pee sterilizes the urethra so no bacteria can set in.

FYI a man with a UTI is 50 billions times worse than a man with a cold. No lie. Makes you want to weep just thinking about it.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 222/155/142

Height: 5'10"

I had a horrible, horrible experience with the Mirena. Regardless of being 5'10", 160# AND having given birth vaginally to just shy of 9lbs baby boy.

I was "just not built to accommodate it"

My GYNO made me wait, see if it settled or the pain went away, I would think things were good, then my BF and I would get physical and I would quickly be in agony. We went a long time with no real intercourse at all.

I had it removed the day before the 6mo mark.

I am apparently not T shaped, I am an oval, the removal revealed my body somehow bent one arm of it down and shifted the entire thing to press down on my cervix (lightly) 24/7.

She did however say I was the only person she had ever seen do this.

Which completely sucked because the Mirena was free all through 2008 through Planned Parenthood. I only paid $50 insertion.
scandalouschicky is offline   Reply With Quote