Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #1  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

Default Unrelated Topics: Ruby and my stretch marks *vent*

Issue #1:
I was watching Ruby tonight, and I find myself completely in awe and inspired by her by golly if she can be that happy and be in the world in her current status why can't I. My parents come home and my dads sits down and asks what I am watching, I explain and he sits "contently" and watches it for a few minutes. Then all of a sudden he starts making these insanely insensitive, completely rude fat jokes about her. She had just stepped on the scale and lost 104 lbs in 7 MONTHS, that is in-freaking-credible. I tried not to laugh only snickered really and felt so guilty and sad for it. I really want to send her letter and apologize for being so insensitive and , but it also made me feel extremely self conscious because of my weight issues. Because even though I am not anywhere near her weight I act like my body is as big as hers and I sort of took those jokes personally.

Issue #2
I was laying on my bed the other day and I for some reason was on my side with like my stomach/hip area exposed OMFG what the crap, did Spiderman leave some of his web on my hips? I have stretch marks every-freakin-where. I knew I had some because they are darker but I saw all ones that were flesh colored and I about wanted to cry. I see a tummy tuck, body lift something to at least somewhat hide that when I am done. However, I do want to have some marks oddly enough, because I want to remember the journey I have taken and have the wounds healed but leave the scar to remember.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Hey I have stretch marks on my hips just from hitting puberty and all of a sudden growing saddlebags lol, so weight gain is not the only cause.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Dood i have stretch marks on my BOOBS but i dont even care they arent that noticeable and id rather be think with stretchmarks then over weight and unhealthy with stretchmarks.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #4  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Yeah I have stretch marks everywhere. on my arms (on the outer edge of my armpits), my boobs, my stomach. The latter I can blame on being pregnant. My arms? er. yeah.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Think of them as scars from your battle lol
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have stretch marks too. Some from weight gain, but mostly from pregnancy. (twins,over 6#'s each). They are so bad on my stomach that someone at a swimming pool changing room asked me if I'd been in a fire and been burned.

I watch Ruby sometimes. Quite an inspiring lady.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I love Ruby, she is an amazing person. Her attitude toward life despite her weight is refreshing. That show makes life in Savannah seem so appealing.

As far as the stretch marks go, I have some on my upper leg behind area that aren't going anyway and have been with me since puberty regardless of my weight.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-18-2009 at 11:05 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

i have stretch marks on my hips and boobs, and Ive heard no complaints from the fellas when they get to see them, so Ive learned to like them. So, my body wont be like Barbie, but my freckles scars and stretch marks give my body charterer.

Last edited by hiimnatalie; 01-18-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling.
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #9  

I'm SO self conscious of the stretch marks on my thighs. They're so dark, while the rest of me is so pale! It almost looks as if someone dragged their fingernails across my thighs and left scars...

A long time ago, my ex saw them and was so concerned that he asked who did that to me. I told him I didn't know where they came from...I was too embarrassed to admit they were stretch marks.

I wish there was a magic potion to make them disappear! I'm (im)patiently waiting....
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #10  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I'm with Natalie on this...

I have stretch marks on my hips, boobs and a few on the backs of my arms. Luckily, they aren't terribly noticeable (color wise) and I haven't had any complaints.

It's part of life. We're not as young as we used to be. It happens. Don't beat yourself up about them. I also agree it gives you character. Personally I find really cool scars kind of attractive, because it tells a story. Joaquin Phoenix for example and the scar on his lip...man.... LOL.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRn View Post
I love Ruby, she is an amazing person. Her attitude toward life despite her weight is refreshing. That show makes life in Savannah seem so appealing.
I watch the show but personally I dislike her constant whining about what she cannot have and trying to guilt her friends about what they are eating when she cannot have it. They are not over 450 pounds for gosh sakes!! It also annoyed me when she was in the grocery store with her blonde friend and was sneaking chocolate bars onto the grocery belt at the cash. Geeeze....come on!! Act your age!!
I'm around 450 myself but I would never act that childish about crap I cannot have that got me morbidly obese in the first place. I might wish in my head that I can have it but that is as far as it will go.
Still despite what I said, I like her in other ways and think she is quite brave for going on tv about her weight.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love the show too, and I do find some of Ruby's personality very odd, childish, and irritating. Some of it, I think is what I often hear about the "southern woman" stereotype in which you're always supposed to be sugary sweet (and even a bit manipulative), even when you're angry, upset or annoyed.

The "baby voice," she used nearly all of the time is really grating on my last nerve, even though I admire what she has accomplished. I try to remember that a lot of what I find irritating is just "real." I too have a "diet Colleen" and a "normal Colleen," and my friends and family would probably also tell you that "normal Colleen" is a lot more fun. In some ways, I've been trying to kill off diet Colleen, or at least turn her into "enthusiastically healthy Colleen" because I try not to "diet" anymore, but sometimes the enthusiastic isn't all that enthusiastic.

Even the manipulation of her friends and family, which sometimes I wonder if isn't set up (remember reality shows aren't reality, and sometimes the people being filmed are encouraged to do unreal things by the producers in the name of entertainment). Ruby I feel is such a people pleaser, that I think she sometimes works extra hard to keep everyone happy. There's not an ounce of confidence in that woman (which drives me absolutely nuts). She's afraid of everything, it seems.

I also do find it really odd that she doesn't remember any of her childhood. My husband's sister is like that. I know their parents had a very hostile relationship, and the kids were forced to put on a "happy family" face in public, my husband still has a lot of anger about it. He's sort of the black sheep of the family for not being willing to pretend it all didn't happen - his response is to hate dishonesty so much that he says whatever he thinks the second that he thinks it, even if it's hurtful or offensive. His sister's response has been to suppress it all, so that she can believe the "happy family" was all real. She NEVER says anything critical of anybody or anything. She's very nice, but it seems so superficial because she's never critical of anything. MIL is the same way, even when she insults you, she phrases it in compliments or concern. If she finds a topic unpleasant, she just won't discuss it.

I guess it reminds me a lot of Ruby, and it makes me wonder what she is hiding. I haven't seen the episode yet where she visits her childhood home, so I don't know if she has "remembered" anything.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #13  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Did anybody see the one where she (Ruby) was working with a nutritionist (or some kind of consultant like that) and was upset by the fact that she had gained a little bit of weight back, and it turned out that the 'granola bars' she'd been eating for snacks were actually meal-replacement bars? I was so horrified for her right then, but that's how easy it is to gain weight if you don't know where calories are coming from or how many are hidden in the foods you eat. It goes to show that we can't just assume we know how healthy or unhealthy a food is for us. Until I started counting calories in earnest, I had no idea that the vast majority of the excess calories I consume in a day come from condiments, which I never even thought about.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I hate to see how uneductated she is about basic health and nutrition. I was frustrated when she made the mistake with the meal replacement bars. In many ways, I was a calorie expert by the time I was 12. I just can't imagine not knowing the basics (I was a Weight Watcher's member with my mother at 8 years old). It just astonishes me that she is so easily befuddled. Sometimes I wonder if she is "playing dumb" for the camera or her own sense of denial.

I was so frustrated with her, when her team accused her of "cheating" on her food plan and she denied it (even though she had admitted and was filmed eating off plan when the ex-boyfriend showed up) and the team gave the example of her not finishing her pre-packaged meals. And she said something about her not having cheated in a bad way (implying that not eating all of her alotted calories was cheating in a good way).

It just makes me want to scream at her through the tv. That meal plan they have had her on, was pretty low calorie for her size, and eating less than the amount alotted is not "good cheating," in my opinion. It's just going to set her up for hunger, and eating off plan (bad by any definition).

Also, when she was hoping for a ten pound loss that week, and lost 7 - and she was bummed that she wasn't under 400 lbs (even though that would have meant a 12 pound loss). She wasn't just mildly disappointed, she was crushed. She's set herself up for failure in so many ways.

That she's succeeding is encouraging, but she's really going to need to change her expectations or it's not going to be permanent. And as frustrating as it is to watch, I'm really rooting for her, to succeed. It makes me realize how much I HAVE learned over the years, and how lucky I am for it.

When I first started watching, I thought Ruby was so "lucky" to have so much support. Access to the great gym, a doctor, a psychologist, nutritionist, and personal trainer on her team, with the meal program, the gym membership - and even the filming of every step. Wow, I thought those are some resources I would love to have.

But the longer I watch, I see that in many ways, I have it easier and better than Ruby. Sure I have to make my own meals, and be my own motivation, but I do have knowledge and confidence. Two things that Ruby won't succeed in the long term without. I'm really rooting for her to find her confidence.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-19-2009 at 01:11 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

I dunno, I watched the show once, and she really annoyed me. So I ended up turning the T.V. off. She was really giddy and annoying. Maybe it's just me lol.

As for stretch marks, they used to bother me. But now not so much. Men actually *DON'T* care one bit
My stomach is like a maze of white coloured stretch marks. It's sexxxxy...OH YEAH!

Last edited by luvja; 01-19-2009 at 01:23 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote