Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #1  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Working night

While writing response for "what's for dinner" thread, I started to wonder if there was anyone working different shift...? Like afternoon or better yet, midnight shift...
And how do you deal with the time difference and meals?
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/188.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I work night shift! I go 2 work at 10pm & get off at 6am. I do weight watchers & start my day over when I wake up at 2pm. I do have a girl I work with that she starts her day at midnight. I love night shift & I'm actually doing better on my diet than I did when I worked days.
erynn1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #3  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

I think I have to agree with you on doing better at night.
For example, when I'm at home on weekends and am on the daytime "schedule," I eat more... but on weekdays, I do a lot better. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with day and night schedule, or if it's just because I'm used to that night schedule that I have it like a habit..on what to do at what time...
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i dont do permanant nights but once a week i start work at 1.30am and finish at 8.30 - 9am.

now it's not the best example here becayse i only do 1 night. what i do is eat normally the day before and go to sleep early (say 6pm). i get up and do my shift, have breakfast when i get home and then go to bed. when i get up it's usually midday so i have lunch then dinner at normal time.

i can't eat at nights.

when i did 7 - 7 shifts (alternating day and night) i would have dinner before going to work and then take little things to eat while i was at work and have breakfast before going to bed at 8am.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #5  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

I don't technically do a night shift... I do evening shifts as a waitress. About 6pm-9pm. I always have a good, long-lasting snack/small meal before work, then another one after I finish. Because it's only three hours, I can get away with it. If I works for longer, I'd definitely take some portable snacks with me.

I agree with Erynn and Tara- somehow, working through dinnertime makes me eat better!
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/188.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm thinking the reason I don't eat as much working nights is because when I'm tired I'm not hungry. I eat a small breakfast when I get up between 2-3pm, then eat normal supper with the family around 6pm. While I'm cooking supper I pack my snacks for work, usually I eat a fruit on my drive, then have 2-3 snacks during work. If my supper was smaller than normal I'll sometimes have a can of soup.
erynn1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

I work rotating Days and Nights, 12 hour shifts, 7-7. 4 nights, 6 days per month. On nights, I have the exact same routine/method/food plan. Having consistency, predicability keeps me on plan on nights. I know what to expect/feel and I don't feel tempted by chips, candy, chocolate and take out food (which are all a part of every single night shift on my unit) it's tough resisting sometimes, when you are so tired and you need a pick me up, but the ****ty feelings from it aren't worth it!
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I hear ya guys. I work nearly full time at a bar (ie many nights of getting out at 3am ish) and go to school part time (I have a MWF 9am class that is a B*TCH of a thing). I do south beach, so I mostly only eat "legal" foods and don't have to count calories. I pretty much just listen to my body the best I can, eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, and only eat SB friendly foods. I also make sure I eat directly before I leave for work, pack some SBD foods to eat at work (ie hard boiled eggs, string cheese, celery sticks, V8 juice, low fat ham and provolone rolls, almonds etc), I also keep caffiene free herbal tea bags and splenda in the wait station so that I have another alternative to the soda machiene besides water, I drink it iced. Lastly I have something ready to eat when I get home that doesn't take alot of time/effort to prepare. It keeps me away from my McDonalds drive through habit I used to have on the way home from work (at 3 am after a 10 hour shift a double cheeseburger and 2 apple pies for $2.14 would be my undoing). Hope that helps
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote