Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #1  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

Smile Kicking it up a notch!

Ok, so I am super excited!!

I just challenged my dad to a weight-off! LOL!!

The deal is, we have both set goals for ourselves, and if we meet our goal by May 17th (the date of the Heart Walk I walk in every year), we have to give each other our chosen prize.

My goal is to lose 12 lbs by May 17th. My prize if I am successful is that my dad is gonna donate $10 per pound I've lost to the American Heart Association to sponsor my participation in the Heart Walk.

His goal is to lose 32 lbs in the same amount of time, and the prize if he is successful is that I have to buy him a case of red creme soda per 10 lbs lost (so 3 cases). hehe, I know, I know, soda is not the healthiest prize, but he chose it and the deal was we each get to choose our own prize! (red creme soda is his absolute favorite and you can't find it ANYWHERE in most US states anymore.)

So I am soooo excited. I have never done anything like this with my dad before, and I had been toying with the idea for a couple of weeks. My parents live in upstate NY and I live in Maine, so I don't get to see them very often. I felt a little silly challenging my dad via email and I almost didn't do it....but now I am so glad I did!

I've never tried anything like this to motivate myself, so I am hoping that me and my dad will both be able to really lose some weight and get healthier.

Heart disease runs in my family....I walk the heart walk every year now in memory of my grandfather who had heart disease for years and years. That's my main reason for wanting to lose weight....to be much healthier than I am now, and to see my family get healthy too.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you all about that!!
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

That is soooo awesome i wish i had a loved one that would do that with me .
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

Height: 5'6"

Aww, that is so cute! I love the idea, a friendly little family competition will be a great motivator! I'm sure you'll both get your prizes!
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/157/130

Height: 5'5.5

That's so cool! My mom was thinking about starting a challenge like that with her, myself, and my sister. But we're having trouble thinking of rewards.

Good luck with the challenge! hehe
Jessica Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/165/145

Height: 5'0

How fun!! Thats awesome your dad is willing to do it with you!!
Yelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

That's awesome Good luck!

We have Barq's red creme soda down here! I used to love that stuf
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #7  
Getting back on track...

Hi all!! thanks for all the posts.

I think I inherited my build from my dad. I have always been tall and carried a hefty amount of weight on my frame, and my dad's side is where that came from (my mom is tiny!). He has been trying to lose some weight for decades now, and has done the yo-yo thing forever. My mom has been a maintainer on WW for about 8 years and has kept all her weight off. So weight issues have always been present in my family. I know my dad has been exercising and eating healthier, but sporadically. Last year we had a more informal thing going where he just said he'd give me some "fun money" when I reached my goal, and I would joke around that he needed to get moving to catch up! :P This time around I thought, "Why not make it official?" so I decided to see what he'd say. I'm excited because I have always been worried about his health, and since my grandfather passed away I have been even more so. I know we can both get healthy and I think a little friendly family competition is just the kick in the pants we both need!

I will be posting updates as we make our mini-milestones, for sure!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #8  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Wow! That's awesome!
I wish I had someone to do the same...That sure will kick up a notch for me, too. Good luck!
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #9  
Getting back on track...

So, today is Day one of the challenge! I had to adjust my goal a little bit because I found out this AM that I'd gained a pound since my last unofficial weigh -in ten days ago. Oh well, no point in feeling sad about that. So my new goal is now 13.6 lbs by May 17th, so I will still end up at 169.2.

And this morning I am enjoying a delicious berry-banana-yogurt-wheatgrass smoothie....yum.