Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Pilates/Yoga

Another thread lol. I haven't been on here in so long. I need to continue getting on here it's great for support but I have been slacking. Anyways I was wondering does anyone do Pilates or Yoga? Is there any really good video's out or anyone use any of equipment they sell too like they pilates leg thing you put between your thighs. If so do you think they help you work those muscles a lot better.

Kayla
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #2  

I have no experience with Pilates, but I do with Yoga. With yoga, it really depends on the style that you are doing. Some allow you to use props like straps, pillows, and blocks. Other styles discourage this. Still, if you're a beginner and are really tight, things like straps can really help you. Good Luck!

- Dave
dnordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #3  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I started doing pilates several years ago and do yoga regularly now.. and bought the pilates circle this year. It's not bad but it's not all that. I like the windsor pilates sessions. I think as a starter just order something like a windsor pilates intro kit and get the basic moves down first before you incorporated the circle.

I would be a mess of nerves that never slept or had energy if it werent for the pilates and yoga I've done the last couple years... have fun!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I love anything by Ellen Barnett. She does both pilates and yoga (but I'm not into yoga) with a emphasis on fat burning. And she explains everything, never annoying, and no whooping or hollaring in the background.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

I love Winsor Pilates. I just started doing it last week. I love how it makes me feel, both relaxed & like I just kicked my butt. I had to find something else to do because we are about to get snow so I can't go for my walks. You could look on Amazon & you could probably find a used copy for cheap.
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #6  

I did yoga in college and I am starting back into it tonight. I personally have to go to classes where there is an instructor, so I feel reassured that he or she will correct me if I am doing something wrong. Plus, I sadly just don't have the motivation to keep up with a tape. I have to have somewhere to GO to motivate myself, not to mention the social aspect.

Regardless, I love yoga because I feel so relaxed and at ease after I am done. I am hoping it will help tone my body, but my main reason for going is to unwind.
lovediet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I've only done pilates at one of those community center classes. The instructor does a lot of stuff that I've heard isn't "real" pilates. We work a lot on the stability ball, hand weights and bands but there's not a lot of emphasis on breathing. Just tons of core exercises I wish I could just tape her and do that over and over because I have yet to find a tape that I like as much as her class. Or is that real pilates? I've had 2 dvds that I've tried and neither were enticing.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #8  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

S/C/G: 305/293.7/165

Height: 5 foot 6

I have not done either BUT I do have Yoga things on my Wii Fit... I haven't tried them yet, though...
Arthwen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I'm going to second Ellen Barnett. She is easy to follow, and not annoying at all. Pilates is a great stress reliever for me, and great for days when i'm just not up for a crazy hard workout, but still want to get something in.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote