Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #1  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Planning your healthy Thanksgiving feast

Anyone else out there planning a healthy alternative Thanksgiving feast? On Sunday my girlfriends and I are going to start planning and we decided to not go traditional this year. We are planning it healthy because of course, I'm dieting, one girl is diabetic and the other is trying to establish a healthy eating lifestyle. The only thing that will be "Thanksgiving-y" is that we will have a turkey, because turkey is actually pretty healthy when done properly.
So, any ideas, recipes or entire menues are welcome.

Yes, I am on a thread starting binge today.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

I'm using Hungry Girl's recipes for stuffing and pumpkin pie. I've made the pie before and it came out delicious :] I'm the only vegetarian in the family and I plan on making a couple very low-fat/vegetarian dishes to bring with me. I don't trust a lot of things other people make, especially when they don't understand how to cook low fat or vegetarian.

So, if I stick to mostly my own I think I'll survive this holiday
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Your right, you never know what people sneak into food...holidays can be dangerous if you think of all the heavy cream, buttermilk and fat some people use to make their dishes taste good. We've got thanksgiving under control, its Yule I have to worry about because that is with my family and they are notorious fat adders.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I'm not particularly going to be making separate dishes for myself... I will make sure what I contribute is healthy and tasty so the whole family can enjoy, certainly. For everything else, though, I will just be mindful and reasonable with the choices I make. I don't need to try everything. I don't need to walk away stuffed. I will particularly make sure I de-emphasize the carbs (bread, potato, stuffing) in favor of the turkey & vegetables. I don't need to have three kinds of pie. It's a regular day, like every other day, just people cook crazy amounts of food... doesn't mean you have to eat it!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

I think I'm just going to focus on portion control. It's not fair to ask our entire family to change their traditional dishes, so I just need to refrain from going back for platefuls. At this point, my appetite has shrunk considerably anyway, so I wouldn't be able to put it away like before. I'll definitely fill up on the veggie tray & then I'll only have room for sweet potatoes! =)
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote