Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Question OT: How do I delay my period?

Hi ladies,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question...I was browsing through the forums and found the 'first period' thread, which made me brave enough to ask...

For our anniversary (January 1), my boyfriend and I are going away for 4 days. I've noticed that my period tends to start around the beginning of each month, and I don't want it to ruin our getaway. Right now, I'm not on any birth control of any kind. I know that ultimately I need to talk to my doctor about this, but I was hoping to get some feminine advice first...

Is there something that I can ask for that will delay my period for a month? We are planning on starting a family maybe within the next couple years, but not all that soon...

Thank you for any help
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I did this to delay my period for my wedding: Get the Birth Control pill from your doctor, and start taking it about a week before your period is due. Keep taking the pills until after you get back and then stop taking them, and you will get your period then. When you go to your doctor, tell this to her and she will probably explain it better than I did. Good luck!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure what can be done when not on birth control. I know that on birth control, you can just skip the white pills and move onto the next pack in order to skip your period altogether. Hopefully other people will have some ideas...if it's even possible.

Have fun on your anniversary trip though....period or no period.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Your doctor can prescribe a progesterone pill which will delay your period. Its called Norethisterone. You start taking it 3 days before your due to come on. Your period will start a day or two after you stop taking it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #5  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Ehhh. When my boyfriend came over from Ireland, my period was due. I'm on birth control, and I tried to stop it by skipping my sugar pills and starting a new pack.. well, it didn't stop it. It made it last for 8 days in small trickles. It was a horrible horrible experience.

Good luck honey.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

The only way to delay your period is with hormonal intervention. Some doctors are against cycle manipulation, which I think is silly. I do it all the time

If you want to skip (you can't delay it, you would just skip the period), you will need a monophasic pill as opposed to a tri-phasic pill. The mono has the same amt of hormones in each pill with the last week being sugar pills (to keepyou on track) while the tri has varying levels in each and every pill so you can't mess with those.

When I was on the Pill, I would simply start a fresh pack on the day I was to start the last week (or sugar pills). The "off week" was the period week. By continually taking hormone pills, I wouldn't have a period.

I am now on Nuvaring and I can skip on that, too. In fact, I HAD to for my wedding! I know many on here, including health professionals are on nuvaring and RAVE about it. I love it and have no intention of switching. For that, you have the ring in for 3 weeks and take it out for the 4th week (the period week). Instead of having no ring for a week, I will just put in a fresh one at the start of that 4th week.

I hope I haven't confused you
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #7  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post
Ehhh. When my boyfriend came over from Ireland, my period was due. I'm on birth control, and I tried to stop it by skipping my sugar pills and starting a new pack.. well, it didn't stop it. It made it last for 8 days in small trickles. It was a horrible horrible experience.

Good luck honey.
What kind of pill are you on? If you're on any kind of tri type pill you have to start the new pack from the bottom up (skipping sugar pills).

I've done that a few times, it never really works all that well but it does push it back about a week which is generally all I really need.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #8  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post

Good luck honey.
this sometimes happens to me too, it will stop it for a few days longer but i get spotting and when the period does come it last much much longer
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #9  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

With a monophasic pill it is quite easy to skip your period. You take the pills for 3 weeks, and in the 4th week (when you have no pills, or sugar pills) you will get your period. Or at least, you will bleed somewhat; it is not a true menstruation from hormonal standpoint etc. So the only thing you have to do is make sure your 4th week is before or after you don't want to menstruate. For me, the bleeding usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd day of week 4 and continues until the 2nd or 3rd day of week 1 of the next cycle; something to keep in mind.

If you already were on birth control and your 4th week was during your getaway, you could just have skipped it and started week 1 right after week 3. Many people do this, there have been reviews about it and so far it seems not to be associated with any health risks. There are people who have breakthrough bleeding when doing this: "spotting". It is usually less and later than usual period, so still worth the effort.

I don't really know how it works with triphasic pills. I don't have any experience with them. Or you could just do what I do and get a hormonal IUD :P. No menstruations at all
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

If you are going to skip it by getting a pack of pills to take during that time make sure you take them pretty much exactly at the same time everyday. I'm on seasonale and the last month, if I don't take them the same time I start spotting. Since your body won't be used to the pills the same thing will happen if you don't get it into a rythme.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #11  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingServo View Post
What kind of pill are you on? If you're on any kind of tri type pill you have to start the new pack from the bottom up (skipping sugar pills).

I've done that a few times, it never really works all that well but it does push it back about a week which is generally all I really need.
...say WHAT? You're kidding me! I'm on TricyclenLo. That's nuts. I would try that if my next period wasn't timed PERFECTLY for my trip to Ireland, muwaha.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Jelbb - That is why I don't like the tri level pills, I had my doctor switch me to loestrine so I could manupliate it whenever I want because all of the pills are the same, plus I only have two day periods on it. My roommate takes tri-cyclen lo and she said she can only delay it a week, she simply opens a new pack and only takes the last week.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote