Old 10-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Default Interview! Not diet related.

So I got a call today for an interview with State Street. I'm a corporate finance major and I graduate in December. I want to be really excited but part of me always feels like its too good to be true. Like there's a catch. And this actually happened when I got my internship.. I was like yeah this is awesome I got chosen for an internship-- come to find out they were taking anyone and everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any State Street experience.. or any advice for my interview?

Last edited by kelli32; 10-23-2008 at 02:15 PM.
kelli32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

crack a joke if you have the chance! And I don't mean one of the, "A guy walked into the bar...." Just if you have the chance to make a funny remark about yourself, the situation, the funny smell walking in...whatever, do it! Makes you more personable. That has always made interviews go well for me in the past and it will get you remembered out of everyone else getting interviewed!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #3  

Oh that reminds me.. interview #1 is a phone interview.. and if you get called back its in person. Thats a good idea though JamieJo- except for the phone interview they might think I smell funny haha. I'm pretty outgoing so I generally do fine, I've been the interviewer more than the interviewee so thats what makes me nervous.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #4  

ohhh...that does make it harder, at least for me. Yeah..don't talk about the smell of the hallway when you're on the phone! Well good luck and let us know how it goes!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

I don't know anything about Sate Street, but just wanted to say I know where you're coming from. I interviewed with a company on Monday (I didn't get the job, but I was in the top 5 out of 150 applicants who were invited to interview). They touted themselves as one of those "we have so much fun all the time- look at our XBox and Margarita machine and our season tickets to the Nuggets!" and I'm sooooo leary of companies like that. It has always gone better when I've had to sell myself to a company- not the other way around.

I would have killed for a phone interview, though! I've been hunting for months and it's been really hard. My portfolio is awesome and I come with experience, but there are just sooooo many applicants. I think I blew this interview because I was so nervous because it was my frist one after months of looking so I just fell flat. At least now it's out of the way and I can focus on the next one...

Last edited by junebug41; 10-23-2008 at 02:32 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #6  
aml
...okay, so...

S/C/G: 200/173/150

Height: 5'7"

oh man, big kid jobs are scary. i'm terrified of graduating and starting one, but looking forward to it at the same time.

i'm sure you'll do great in your interview, though. and hey, if you don't like it or it isn't what you expected...how many people keep their first jobs after college anyway?
aml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #7  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I cant wait to land my first job after graduation, it would be my first gainful employment job in about 9 months. I need money fast because student loans are going to come a knocking.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #8  
aml
...okay, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20nine View Post
I cant wait to land my first job after graduation, it would be my first gainful employment job in about 9 months. I need money fast because student loans are going to come a knocking.
yeah, i'm in my 5th year of school right now and i'm sure they government can't wait for me to graduate so they can get all their money back.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

As someone who has been the interviewer I suggest you do NOT crack a joke of any kind, the interviewer will just think you are silly.And do not chew gum.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

As another interviewer - people who interview well have a sense of what the job and company they are aiming for are all about. So, do some research. Look at the company and what they make/do/sell. Look at the position and what they are asking for in their job description. With that info, you should be able to figure out roughly what they're looking for in a candidate.

Then tailor your responses to what that is. Let's say the job description/job posting emphasized responsibility. To me, that indicates that they've either been burned by irresponsible employees, or they are looking for someone to fill the shoes of someone very responsible. Either way, knowing that they're looking for that buzzword will help you out, because you can phrase your answers around that and what the company does. "I've always prided myself on X tendency to be responsible", or better, "In my previous position, I had a lot of responsibility doing X, Y, and Z (and X, Y, and Z are preferably things that the company has mentioned they need in the job descrip), and was able to handle that and, in addition, take over the responsibilities of my coworker when she was on maternity leave." That statement says "Not only am I responsible, but I know how to do the job you need done and can do it even when circumstances aren't ideal"

Interviewers respect people who research the company, the position, etc. See if the company has a mission statement you can look for buzzwords in. People who have done their research and are well informed come across as interested and smart, and if you combine THAT with knowing the sort of thing the company is looking for from the job descrip, and throwing THAT in there as well, you'll also come across as a good fit for the position.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Dress professionally, not sexy! I've seen prospective teachers come dressed like it's Free Drink Night at the clubs....
Good luck! You'll do great!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #12  

Thank you everyone, this was all great advice. I also thought about looking up some phone interview tips on the internet. Phone interviews can either go really well or REALLY BAD. And i don't want it to go bad. I'm hate the new style of interviewing.. "Tell me about a time you.." You absolutely cannot answer those questions well without rehersing them, and I never know what kind of response they have in mind.

I'm super nervous about my first "big kid" job too, but I'm ready to be done with school. I'm over this lifestyle and ready to move onto something better, even if its not what I want to do forever you have to start somewhere!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #13  

My interview today went AWESOME! I got invited back for a second and I"m being considered for two different positions. I was told that I was overqualified for another one and I'm thinking.. I haven't even graduated and I'm already overqualified!? haha. Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone for the tips you helped make my interview a success. I'll probably be freaking out on here again as my next interview nears, its in person this time.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #14  
aml
...okay, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli32 View Post
My interview today went AWESOME! I got invited back for a second and I"m being considered for two different positions. I was told that I was overqualified for another one and I'm thinking.. I haven't even graduated and I'm already overqualified!? haha. Anyways, I just wanted to thank everyone for the tips you helped make my interview a success. I'll probably be freaking out on here again as my next interview nears, its in person this time.
very good news! thanks for the update!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #15  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Thanks for the update, and good luck with the interview!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote