Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Loosing weight after and eating disorder

4 or 5 years ago I recovered from an eating disorder (anorexic). However, It's a tough spot to be in now, my family and close friends are worried/angry about me loosing weight again, naturally.

Also, I don't know what normal eating habits are, I watch the people around me, read your posts, etc. to figure that out. So I'm doing my best to do this the right way, and I know I am. Just - no one believes me, or more importantly - no one will EVER support me. They fear I'll relapse, and that they're doing something bad if they support me, as if I have an ED again... agh!!!!!

I don't know how to deal with it. I get no encouragement, instead I get bad looks and angry remarks from my sister...

So -I've been looking for books, or articles, or ANYTHING to give me some advice on the topic. I cannot find ANY literature. Google yields no results, the bookstores, nothing.

Anyone have anything, shed some light here!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

all I can say is don't try to do it on your own. At the very least see a nutritionist.5 years ago I was in an eating disorder hospital. Due to many things I gained a hundred pounds and for 5 years thought my eating disorder was a thing of the past. I decided last year to lose the weight the healthy way and next thing I know I was worse off than I was the first time around. I'm doing a little better now but its a living **** when im not. Maybe you could also see a therapist to keep yourself in check.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

That's a tough spot to be in. I know there's another poster around here, NightengaleShane, that lost weight after dealing with eating disorders.

I second seeing a nutritionist about things. That way maybe your family will be reassured that you're trying to be healthy about this and it never hurts to get professional input just make sure that your eating plan is on track.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Try to see a nutritionist or a therapist. If you are a student your campus should definitely have one of those or both you can see for free or for very little $. Otherwise, you can also try and see if there are support groups in your area for recovering EDs. Or maybe continue your search online for groups given the ok by the NEDA (national eating disorders association). And of course feel free to look for support on this site-- especially in the chicks in control section.
I assume you were in treatment for your ED 4-5 years ago. Maybe you can use the materials and information you got from that to re-learn what normal eating is. Checking this site for clues and cues for that would be highly misleading because the majority of us are actively trying to lose weight and so are not eating "normally" for maintainance! There is restriction in most of the food diaries here so keep that in mind!!!!

Please, please, though try and get some real live help if you are trying to lose weight (which I don't think you need to do anyway, btw, for real) because as you well know EDs are tricksey things and very tempting and oh so easy to fall back into. So please be careful and do this the heathly way and that means with professional help!
And please try and understand that your family and friends ARE trying to support you-- they love you and think that they are doing what is best-- I think you might need to check in with a third party professional or someone in order to gain some perspective on this.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #5  

shrinking I know that everyone on this site is restricting and dieting. I guess what I meant was I look to everyone on here for HEALTHY ways of loosing weight. Seeing as we are all doing so in a good way, it's been a great example

Thanks for the responses ladies, I'll call to make an appointment for the on campus counselors sometime this week if I get enough guts. I hate going to therapy, it just brings back bad memories - but I think it's a really good idea as well.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I am trying... and it is so hard.

I've gotten this far and now that my weight loss has stalled I'm getting all of those feelings back and I'm really at a loss as to what to do with them.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
I am trying... and it is so hard.

I've gotten this far and now that my weight loss has stalled I'm getting all of those feelings back and I'm really at a loss as to what to do with them.
What ED did you have, when, how did you get over it, how are you loosing weight now? lol I have so many questions! how are your family/friends reacting?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I would say that possibly your best defense against the suspicion of your family and friends might be to be as completely open and honest with them as possible. Let them know that yes, you're trying to lose weight, but that you'll answer any questions they have and that you're doing it to get to a specific realistic goal, not from any mental business that you don't want to talk about.

Also, talking to a counselor is a really good idea. They'll probably have some suggestions as well, and letting concerned friends/family know that you are seeing a counselor to help keep you from going back to that place might be a good idea as well.

And remember that they're only nosy and questioning because they care and don't want you to end up hurt again
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstar View Post
What ED did you have, when, how did you get over it, how are you loosing weight now? lol I have so many questions! how are your family/friends reacting?
Bulimia.
About 3 years agoand it caused me to gai close to 100 lbs. Which was when I decided that I was unhealthy and I needed to lose weight. I'm doing okay I guess but I still have episodes every now and again. Some weeks are better than others.
My they're watching me very closely. They knew that I needed to lose weight because I was unhealthy, I'm getting to the point now though where they're telling me that I shouldn't lose any more weight and it's really making me uncomfortable because I still don't feel happy with my body. I know, logically, it's never going to be perfect and my GW is about 15-20 lbs more than my lowest weight ever was.
I'm calorie counting. I eat pretty often, and they're pretty small meals. It keeps me from being hungry but it also keeps me from that really full feeling that sometimes triggers me.

Edit: I forgot how I got over it! Haha, I was diagnosed with bulimia, as well as manic depressive disorder and anxiety issues, I got put in the hospital after an episode (I call them episodes, I really don't know what else to call them.. haha) where I tried to hurt myself. I wasn't there for very long, and I started seeing a therapist every day at first, then every other day, then once a week, etc. I was put on medication, and I stopped seeing her when I planned on moving to Montana with my ex. Which was probably a stupid idea considering that I'm still having minor issues every once in a while. So I guess I'm not "completely" over it but I don't think I ever will be.

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 10-15-2008 at 11:33 AM.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #10  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

garstar - Weight loss is such a touchy subject for most people. Especially if your not noticably overweight and just toning up or just looking to lose those last few lbs. We are at about the same weight and the same goal. Screw what people thing, it sounds like you are on the right track. I think posting here will do you some good. Keep you grounded. There is also a thread called chicks in control for people who used to have or still do have an eating disorder. It might help for you to talk with others who might be dealing with the same family issues. Who knows maybe you can make the difference for someone who is still having problems...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You could think of a counselor / nutritionist this way: it doesn't mean you're having problems, it just means you respect the disease and value yourself, so you're applying a little insurance or preventative medicine.

Kinda like wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-15-2008 at 01:10 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #12  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

nice way of putting it
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #13  

Maybe you should talk to your friends and family and tell them exactly how you feel and what you are trying to acheive. Good luck with everything
K1nS is offline   Reply With Quote