Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 130/130/120

Height: 5'6"

Default Lunch!

Hey guys! I'm doing really well today! I've also been logging my calories for the past 3 days and that's really helping me out too! Anyway, I made up a recipe for lunch today that actually turned out really good- I've been a vegetarian for a long time but I think anyone looking to make an easy and healthy protein-packed lunch might want to try this!

Baked Cranberry Tofu on a Bed of Spinach
Ingredients- (hearty single serving)
7 oz (1/2 a standard 14 oz block) Extra Firm Tofu (i didnt have any that was reduced fat in my fridge but that would be even better..) ~about 170 cal
2 cups or so of raw baby spinach
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (in a sprayer)

for the marinade:
1/4 cup 100% juice (no sugar added) cranberry juice~ 35 cal (i used ocean spray)
1 clove garlic, minced~ about 4 cal
a sprinkle of dried marjoram and a sprinkle of dried thyme
a squirt of red wine vinegar~ a couple of cals, like 3 or 4

basically i pressed the tofu (place the block on a plate covered in paper towels, cover the tofu with paper towels, and put something heavy on top- this helps remove the excess moisture) for about 20 min
meanwhile i mixed up the marinade ingredients
then i sliced the tofu and put it in a plastic bag with the marinade- let it marinade for 30 min to an hour, turning the bag every 15 min or so.
sprayed a small baking dish with a tiny bit of EVOO and placed the tofu in a single layer (pour any excess marinade over the tofu)... then baked it at 375 for 15 min on one slide, then flipped each slice onto the other side and baked for another 15 min. i then broiled the other side for about 5 min and flipped once more to broil for another 5 min. whew!
anyway, then i put the (now golden colored with slightly crispy edges) tofu on top of a bed of baby spinach with a bit of salt, lots of pepper, and another squirt of red wine vinegar.

It was actually really good and a rough estimate of calories it was a VERRY filling and yummy for about 235ish calories!

what did everyone else have for lunch? id love to get some new ideas!
Karaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #2  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

you won't get any ideas from me. LOL! I had wilted salad with grilled chicken. Yeah, I'm headed to the grocery storm tomm. Can't wait to get some--healthy--food in my house. I'm kind of in the mood for sandwich type things, but I'm terrified of carbs. I'll be debating that for the next 20 hrs.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

sounds like a fabulous lunch! I had a whole wheat pita with hummus and cucumbers... would have added more veggies if i had them, i like to put carrots, celery, and sprouts or lettuce in when i have them.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #4  
I will do this.

I make tuna fish sandwiches 98% of the time. If I am feeling frisky I put 1/4 cup of fat free cheese (45 calories) on it and stick it under the broiler for 5 minutes and make a tun melt.

I will be making turkey pitas next week. I got some canned artichoke hearts, some fresh spinach, sprouts and some laughing cow at the store yesterday. I also found canned baby corn for 50 calories per jar which excites me.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote