Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Summer Wedding Wear

I'm going to a formal (not black tie but still formal) wedding over labor day weekend that is outside. I'm not sure what to wear, I have a long black dress but I feel like August, outside, and black are not going to work out well together. Also the black dress I have I purchased in September so it is about a size / size and a half to big on me but I could still wear it but I might not look as good as possible. So any suggestions of where to shop what to get?

Last edited by RememberHowToSmile; 08-04-2008 at 11:36 PM.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I'm completely against wearing black at weddings (I believe it's a color for funerals) so I'm happy to hear you'll be getting and wearing something new. Now as for where to shop? You could try someplace like TJ Maxx or Marshalls, but those are places where you haev to be willing to look around for a bargain.

Hmmm. I haven't shopped for a dress in forever, but when I did I found one at TJ Maxx, and it was awesome and cheap, that's why I suggested it. But my sister found one at David's bridal. But that was more formal. Maybe someplace like Target or Old Navy? I'm not sure. I'm trying to think chain bc I don't know little stores near you. But those places have cute little summery dresses I think? And cheap too, which is a plus bc you're still losing so you don't want to invest too much in something that won't fit later on, right?
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Yeah, places like Ross and even Target will have some choices. I got a great semi-formal dress for my rehearsal dinner for $30 on sale at Macy's. They are trying to clear out their summer stuff to make room for fall so there are some great deals out there!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #4  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Ooh, if you have any outlet malls/stores near you, check those out too. Sometimes you can get CRAZY good deals there, but it's a little hit or miss. I got a really cute pink strapless dress at the J. Crew outlet that I plan on wearing to a summer wedding.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

I just got back from a formal summer wedding ^^

I wore a black dress (I was a bit hesitant, but the infamous "little black dress" does work in many occassions) that was knee length and very V cut with a ruffle down the V. It was 60 bucks at Lane Bryant - more than I'd normally ever spend, but I rarely find a dress that looks good on me and accommodates my DDD's

I did see a ton of cute things at Fashion Bug when I went shopping with a friend - I was always under the impression that Fashion Bug was a teen/tween store, but I was very wrong. I didn't find anything there that fit me well enough to buy, but the prices were great and they had a ton of different styles.
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Deb has great dresses, on the formal side - just avoid the prom dresses. They have some good ones non-prom dresses thrown in there. Try something summery, like a halter with a floral print
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #7  

I picked up a little black dress at JC Penny today, it's black, mid cafe, with a round neck. It also has a white belt right below the chest, which makes me look taller and thinner. But it was kindof expensive even on sale. I'm going out to Phoenix next week and there is a JC Penny outlet so I'm going to go check there but also there are other outlets so I am going to look more. And return it if necessary.

So is black ok?

Here is the dress

Last edited by RememberHowToSmile; 08-05-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #8  
Cynicism and Smilies

S/C/G: 245/237/145

I got a ton of compliments on my black dress, and there were several at the wedding wearing black as well. The "little black dress" is always meant for parties...don't let the color mess with your head

I think that dress is gorgeous, imho. You'll look great
flabbyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #9  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I think that dress is perfectly suitable for a wedding. The white breaks up the starkness of the black. I'd wear it!
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Yes, black is fine for the wedding. I actually think the dress is very pretty and looks like it will be flattering.

The only taboo color is WHITE
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Was there originally a picture of the dress here??? How does everybody know what it looks like???

Another alternative to black is a deep jewel tone. Like a plum or deep pine green. Look for really saturated colors as they are more formal than pastels. Do you have an H&M near you?? They frequently have good stuff if you're willing to take the time to bypass the over-trendy stuff. Someone else suggested TJMaxx, etc. That's a good idea as well if you have a good one near you as they vary so greatly (there's one in Downtown Boston that's GROSS and one just 2 miles away that is almost COMPLETELY designer...I LOVE IT!).

You can also VERY easily make something more formal based on the accessories and shoes you choose, so that's an option as well
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post

Here is the dress
Arts - here is the link to the dress
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #13  

I posted a link after I post my original question. Here is the dress

I tried on a purple dip dyed dressed but it was too long. We don't have H&M in Michigan but I'm going to Phoenix so maybe I'll see if they have one there. I'll search H&M online too.

On a side note my roommate made me try the dress on for her to see and she said it looked amazing on me.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #14  

I think the dress you posted is beautiful and totally appropriate for a Labor Day weekend wedding.

If you still wanted to keep looking, you could try Ann Taylor (or AT Outlet) and Banana Republic. Both have really stylish, classy clothing and, I'd imagine, pretty good sales at this time of year. I haven't been in either in a while but as soon as I lose a little more weight...LOOK OUT!
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

What's the fabric of the dress?? I like the style, but I'm not crazy about the black on white....lacks a little pizazz for me. Any chance you could dye it (therefore changing the color of just the white panels since it won't affect the black)? I think a jewel tone on the black would be more striking.

But that's just me. I really like it!

OOH!! ORRRRRRRRR you could disregard the dying idea and just wear REALLY bright shoes. I do this frequently especially for auditions (not that a wedding is an audition.....), and I always get compliments about how it's classic, but quirky and modern.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote