Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #1  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Unhappy Peaking before you lose?

So i was reading on this site somewhere the article about how there is no reason for you to gain weight before you lose it once you start exercising and dieting. However, i have been graphing my weight changes (yes i am a stats freak ) and often i'll go down, then i'll peak, and then i'll go down again. It gets quite depressing and I dont know why it happens. This week i've exercised 5 out of 7 days, a total of about 9 hours 15 minutes (about 1hr 51 mins on average per day i think that is) and i weighed myself today (the day before my "official" weigh in) and im up by more than a kilo. What gives? I have stuck to my diet SO well

My "look for the positives" side says that the system is flawed, because i used to weigh myself on wednesdays but i went away for the weekend so i decided to give myself a fresh start and have a week of exercise and change my weigh in to mondays. And i didnt weigh myself after my weekend away so technically i dont know what i weighed to begin with.

But still. Its hard to imagine that in a 3 day weekend i could put on 2 kg and not lose it during the week. Or could i?

I suppose really i need to do another week of exercise and diet and see what happens to be sure that its going up and hasnt actually gone down

What do you guys think? I really hate it when i work hard at EVERYTHING and do well, and still dont see results.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I really think that being a stats/numbers/logic freak does nothing but drive people insane when they are trying to lose weight.

I also think that sometimes logic in general goes straight out the window!

there are TONS of reasons as to why you are a kilo up. You are working out A LOT, so depending on how much you are eating, your body may be holding on to things. Also, when you work your muscles hard, they retain water. YOU could be retaining water as well. I notice that when I start a new workout regiment or start again after a break, I'll see a stall in the scale while my body adjusts. And sometimes, there is just no rhyme or reason.

It's probably the most frustrating thing about losing weight. When I first started, it FLEW off of me. As I crept within that last 15 pounds, it was very much 2steps forward, 1 step back.

Last edited by junebug41; 07-12-2008 at 07:06 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

being a stats freak drives you crazy no matter what you're trying to do. Unfortunately i want to go into research, so all my compulsive graph drawing will be rewarded ten fold >.<

I have been working my muscles hard...doing lots of weights, so retaining water could be the reason for it. it just feels like im going no where
Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

How long have you been working out intensely? Do you FEEL better? To me, that's the best part about starting to work out after a break or increasing the intensity. I know what works and that I'm on the right track so I don't put a ton of stock into numbers until I've settled in to the routine and I feel so darn good I don't even care that much. I also tend to lose inches first, which trust me, was QUITE frustrating until i just realized that's what my body does. Oh well

Last edited by junebug41; 07-12-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #5  
This is not a test.

well...ive only been working out intensely this week XD I do feel better i guess. I suppose i fell into the trap of thinking that i would see results quickly >.< i just hate thinking that i have worked hard, and now i have to back track and do it all again...gah i really hate that!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

There is a good chance with all your exercising that you are gaining muscle and losing body fat, which is great!! Just remember muscle ways more than body fat and that might be why the scale is not going down, you will notice inches fallling enough and that should be enough to keep you going! Don't get frustrated eventually the scale will show it, it happend to me numerous times!!!

JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #7  
this one's for life

S/C/G: 141/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi Iconised,

I can totally relate to your feelings of "going nowhere"... but the thing I've realized about weight loss is that it's actually quite simple. If you work out and eat well, you'll lose weight. You might go backwards a couple times, or stall for a long time or lose very little, but you'll eventually lose it. Gaining is part of losing, as weird as that sounds. Muscle weighs more than fat, water retention, periods, etc are all reasons why we might gain before we lose.

Something that has helped me keep going on this difficult journey is (this may not make sense to anybody but myself haha) I think, there's only one way to get the body I want. There's only one direction I can go... and that is forward. And no matter what the scale says, I'm going to keep moving forward. No matter how long it takes, just keep moving in the right direction, and you're good. And as long as you're honest with yourself, the weight will come off. Calories in, calories out. It's all science... but our emotions get in the way and complicate things.

ANyway sorry for my long rant... I'm no expert but I wanted to share some stuff that keeps me going through hard times...
chickennugget126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Oh, and u should not exercise 24 hrs before your weigh in- do to retaining fluids...
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

wow you are all so right, i do have my period, and i exercised yesterday...i'll not work out today and see what happens on the weigh in tomorrow. I suppose theres nothing for it but to keep going
Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

Considering you just started coupled with the fact that you could be retaining water due to TOM, I would take what the scale says with a grain of salt right now. As long as you aren't overtraining and getting an adequate amount of calories, I would say keep doing what you are doing. Also keep in mind that you aren't gaining that much muscle that would affect the scale like that. It is humanly impossible to gain muscle that fast. It is a very slow process. Also, make sure you are getting plenty of water!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #11  
This is not a test.

yeah you are probably right (fingers crossed). I guess i was just overly hopefully that i would see results straight away. Everone loves instant gratification i guess >.< thank you for motivating me to keep going
Old 07-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #12  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Well, not only relying on the scale but have you considered measuring yourself? If you are working out a lot, the weight may not come off fast but you can be losing inches. My very first month I started working out, I lost only 2 pounds (I think that's not even 1 kilo...or something like that)... but I lost 8.5 inches..due to the exercise, I strongly believe. Workout will make you toned and more firm, and clothes will fit better.
I also have graphs and chart for weights, and almost every part of my body. But I try to look at the overall trend of downhill. And as other ladies said, TOM can affect a lot. I know everyone's different but I saw on here that many ladies lose what they gained during the TOM and little more... So just keep up the good work and you will see downhill in no time! =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #13  
This is not a test.

i havent been taking measurements, but i may start taking arm, leg, and hip measurements to see how that goes as well as weighing myself. My downhill trend has kindof plateaued, which depressed me, but i realise that this is because in the last few months i had been slack on the exercise because of exams etc, so now i have to pick up the pace and should see results. I will try to stay positive ^_^
Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Eh...I have been having the same frustration.

I weighed myself this morning and was 2kgs heavier than a week ago - I have eaten roughly the same amounts most days although of a saltier content but have been doing a lot more weights along with cardio (running, cycling) and boxing/kick boxing so every muscle is stressed lol.

Its still so very very frustrating!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #15  
This is not a test.

it sure is! especially when you cant predict or explain it