Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #1  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

Angry will my legs ever shrink?

urrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

i've lost 44 lbs, and have seen inches go all over my body (waist, hips, arms), but i still have the same old huge calves and ankles that i did at over 250 lbs! ughhh! I'm wondering if i'm just built this way - i see women who are much larger than me (not to sound catty) but have much smaller, more feminine looking legs/ankles. i know i still have a way to go, but i'd think i would have seen some change by now. i guess summer time and wanting to wear skirts and strappy sandals has made me kinda dwell on this subject. anyone else have this problem???
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #2  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

i know how you feel. i carry all my weight from the hips down. classic pear shape. i hate my calves and ankles. my boyfriend always wants me to wear skirts but i just don't feel attractive cuz i don't have pretty legs. i don't know if there are certain exercises that are good for that, but i know runners usually have slender, defined legs. i've thought about starting a jogging routine in the hopes that it will help with this.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

100% me! I am also a classic pear shape, I carry 90% of my fat from the lower stomach down, and it's horrible. My thighs make me look around 200lb or so, and I'm 140! It drives me crazy because when I started this, my waist was 29 inches, and my hips were 39. Waist is now 27.5, and hips are 37.5 but absolutely no difference in thighs. Same width around.

I run too everyday almost so not sure. You know what they say, the place where you want to get smaller (legs in our case) are the LAST to go.

Last edited by scorpio88; 06-16-2008 at 09:41 PM.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I have great calves and ankles, but I would trade them in a heartbeat to have that beautiful facial structure and thin jawline that you have! I think that all of us look at our "trouble spots" and focus on them. Look on the bright side, at least you don't have a wicked double chin in EVERY picture you take until you're under 150!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I have always hated my legs and in particular my calves. A few months ago I started doing the elliptical at the gym. I do 45-60 minutes usually 6 days a week. I finally see a big difference in my legs and in particular, my calves. I didn't take measurements but they look MUCH better. I am happy to wear skirts finally. (and I'm not 20-something-- I'm 40-something!)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

yer im another that hates my legs....
totally!....
mine are shrinking very very very slowly....
not quick enuf tho....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #7  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

It seems like certain areas of the body will hang onto weight longer than others. I know it is frustrating, but give it a bit more time, you've already dont a great job with your weight loss!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/205/185

Height: 5'10"

The elliptical is a great way to slim calves. If you chose jogging make sure your stride is correct. If can't feel muscles in your lower legs getting sore then they aren't being used enough. Try some calf raises. Just stand with your feet together and raise yourself up to your tip toes. repeat. do several sets of 10-20 whatever you feel comfortable with.

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but some people just have cankles. When I was in middle school one of my friends had cankles, she was very thin like the kind stick thin that people always accused her of being bulimic... had cankles. Hopefully that's not you, but if so you can lose weight and still be able to pull off skirts and dresses (me friend did and she looked great... so will you!) Keep up the hard work and congrats on your success so far!
marheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #9  
I will do this.

I think that my legs will be the last to go - I am only 5'5 but all of that is body. When I sit at my kitchen table I have to fold my legs under me because they don't touch the floor. I have to sit cross legged on the couch for the same reason!! I also can't buy capris because it looks like I am wearing pants that stop at my ankle.

I try and feel good about my legs by spoiling them. I buy girly scented shaving cream and a new razor and some lotion and make them really smooth and do my toes!

I know that they will shrink in time but for now I am gonna have to make the best of it!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Yeah...even when I was down to 120 lbs, running daily and toning, my calves and thighs were huge. Like 15" circumference on my calves and 22+" on my thighs. I've never been able to wear knee high boots unless they were for "bigger" girls. I just try to focus on my good features and deemphasize my legs. I think some of us are just built to be bottom heavy. Not to say that you won't be able to shrink yours...I just know that no matter what I try, my calves and thighs will always be big.
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #11  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

Height: 5'4"

my legs are the last besides my arms. But my arms I can pretty much hide, not my thighs. I can't stand it though. Stupid saddlebags. I do all kinds of exercises but they wont go away. before I got pregnant with my daughter, i ran a couple saturdays and they started shrinking but now.....nope. don't know why.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #12  

haha everybody is going to laugh when they hear where i want to lose but it always sticks -- my chest! even when i was skinny, i always had a big chest, and looked like i was going to topple over. i don't want to be someone who has lost tons of weight but still has the big girl boobahs...
domnisoaradiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by domnisoaradiane View Post
haha everybody is going to laugh when they hear where i want to lose but it always sticks -- my chest! even when i was skinny, i always had a big chest, and looked like i was going to topple over. i don't want to be someone who has lost tons of weight but still has the big girl boobahs...
I am jealous. Mine gets smaller and smaller. I am 110 kg but my boobs are minuscule and getting smaller. I bet they will be non-existent soon.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

That's one place I'm looking forward to losing in...the chest for sure. I'm the same way, I've always had big girls (I don't think I've been a C cup since 7th grade ) but as I gained weight I definitely noticed a gain there too...poop. I know I'll never be a 34 B, but man it would be nice to get back into single letters, haha!
x meowkat x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #15  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

i want my thighs and calves to go down. I hate to wear skirts cause i dont like my legs
and hopefully i can keep my chest
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote