Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Question I'm ready to start exercising.... where do I begin?

Ok, I've been watching what I've been eating for a few weeks have been doing pretty good. I'm realizing that I really want to start working out. I'm new to CA and not really where to start. I work in one area and it's about an hour commute each way. Do I get a gym by my work or by my house, which I think I may be moving in a little over a month.

I'm also curious to see if I should get a trainer. I want someone that will help me stick to a fitness plan. I used to play basketball when I was younger, but I have a rod in my right leg from breaking it in '99. I have to stick to low impact things or it will really hurt.

What do you suggest I do? And I really want a trainer how do I go about looking for one? How do I find a gym? I would rather go somewhere than be left up to my own at home.... which won't happen. I need help!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #2  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hey - congrats on your loss thus far and your decision to start exercising. There's a sticky thread in the exercise forum on how to pick a personal trainer that I've read and thought was really good. I've not tried one yet, though.

If it were me I'd get a gym by my work, especially since you may be moving at some point soon. That way, you could either work out before of after work.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I personally love Curves. There are so many of them, so you can "travel" to the one that is convenient for you. I have never worked out regularly in my life before I joined, and it's just so easy. It's circuit training and it's only 30 minutes- so there's no excuse not to fit it into a busy schedule. Sure, a lot of people don't like the repetition and they need something more fast paced and varied, but for someone like me who doesn't like to put a lot of thought into their workout, it's perfect! AND, it's women-only, so you don't have to be self-conscious at all. I'd check them out and see if you like them- it won't hurt. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Thank you so much for your help. Where is the thread? I couldn't find it.

Also, I would love to join Curves, I've actually done it before last year, but they don't stay open past 7 and not open Sundays. The one by my office is open like 9-1 and then 4-7, which does not really work with my schedule if I wanted to go at lunch or early, which is a bummer.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #5  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

my advice to you is to start little and work your way up....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I love Richard Simmons "Sweatin' to the Oldies" !! I love doing those with my husband. We've also taking up biking. Both are working miracles for us!
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #7  

Hey...
I am also starting to exercise...
right now I do the walk and jog video from walk away the pounds series....and go walking around a trail we have here in town...
I always have to remind myself to not expect toooo much from myself..I often think I need to be hurting in order for exercise to be successful...however this usually leads me to giving up!!
Hollybear is offline   Reply With Quote