Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default So tired of people

telling me what I should or shouldn't do in MY weight loss. One guy got after me at work today for eating yogurt cause there's too much sugar. Another lady told me calorie counting is dumb because you burn calories doing EVERYTHING. She watches her fat but has no idea how much she gets each day. She also said 1 fat gram is over 1200 calories. No idea if this is true but come on. Another guy told me it doesn't matter what you eat as much as when you eat. 6 small meals...blah blah. I've heard it all. I KNOW this plan and that and cal counting is what I chose. I've almost lost 50 pounds. Apparently I've done something right here and there. Sure, I wanted it gone in a year and I've only got until Tuesday so it most likely won't happen but come on! I've had a few months worth of I don't cares but I didn't gain it all back only to be depressed and never start again. Thanks for letting me vent!
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, 1 g of fat has 9 calories, not 1200

That really shows why you don't want to put a lot of stock in comments from the peanut gallery, because a lot of it is insanely stupid advice, and just plain untrue. I'm not saying that some people won't have a few pearls of wisdom, but how do you tell the pearls from the rabbit turds?

At face value, you can't. All you really can do is try to be as informed as you can, and do what you've found is working for you, and laugh at the idiots (in your head, of course - at least at work).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've checked a few sites. 1 gram of fat is about 9 calories. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Girl, you are doing a great job! Ignore those people!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #4  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Screw what they say, you've lost almost 50 lbs! That is amazing! You went for 200 to 157. That, girlfriend, is a large acheivement, so apparently your personal methods are working.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Sounds like you should be teaching them, not the other way around.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Melanie View Post
Screw what they say, you've lost almost 50 lbs! That is amazing! You went for 200 to 157. That, girlfriend, is a large acheivement, so apparently your personal methods are working.
I totally agree! Way to go!!!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #7  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
but how do you tell the pearls from the rabbit turds?

LOL, thanks I needed a laugh, rabbit turds...hahahaha!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #8  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

What everyone else said! The proof of the pudding is in the eating - or, in this case, the proof of the weight loss plan is in the progress. And you, by George, have made excellent progress!

I think oftentimes people come out with this crap because they're trying to assert themselves/they feel threatened by your success. Not consciously, but I think we all do that kind of thing - see what someone else has done, and ask ourselves how it reflects upon us. Forget them, and congratulate yourself on your fabulous progress. Go Team You!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #9  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

yeah just keep doing what you are doing. I go through similar experiences b/c the program I'm on sounds crazy but it works for me and for everyone whose done it. I mean, I know a lot of people who were considering surgery but once they started this program they didn't need surgery to lose weight.
Yeah I don't give value when people say stuff like that, I mean, obviously it's working so what do they know? Just keep on doing what you're doing!
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Default favorite response

My favorite response for know-it-alls is "Duly noted."
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
What everyone else said! The proof of the pudding is in the eating - or, in this case, the proof of the weight loss plan is in the progress. And you, by George, have made excellent progress!

I think oftentimes people come out with this crap because they're trying to assert themselves/they feel threatened by your success. Not consciously, but I think we all do that kind of thing - see what someone else has done, and ask ourselves how it reflects upon us. Forget them, and congratulate yourself on your fabulous progress. Go Team You!

Broadabroad is SO right. We have a guy in our lunchroom that criticizes other folks' food if they don't eat what he, in his narrow view, thinks they ought too.

We are all (agency wide) trying to develop healthy habits, but this guy has gone way overboard. (Yells down the hallway if someone takes the elevator, "take the stairs, it burns calories!") Several of us got together and decided to answer him in one way. When he mentions our food- the latest was my yogurt- we just smile, and say, "then you shouldn't eat this. I, however enjoy it and will continue to do so."

Took a week. He left in a huff, but now he is back, and keeping his food opinions to himself, lol.

Last edited by Bunti; 06-18-2008 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #12  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

The people you work with sound like morons, IMO. You're doing a great job, keep it up!!

My standard response when people try to give me weight loss advice (or comment on something else equally none of their business) is "Thank you for your opinion, I'll take that under consideration." It's polite, but just snarky enough that they usually get the point to back off.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5ft 6in

I agree with Galeo2! What a great reply. As you say, its not being rude, but it puts them in their place politely. Lynsey, keep up the good work! Congratulations, you must be proud of what you accomplished.

....deedee....
deedeesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much. I came home from work with my head just spinning. Funny how the first 37 pounds or so nobody cared how it was coming off but now that we are doing a work wide biggest loser everyone is trying to do something. And their something is WAY better than the next person's. I'm going to have to tell that chick how off her info was though today when I go in. That's just insane how off she was. THanks again. Now I know AGAIN why I love this site!
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #15  
Changing for the better

Good for you! Along the same route, I would recommend what my mom always told me........kill 'em with kindness If you act sugary-sweet, they'll realize they can't inflict their negativity upon you. Like everyone else said, it's obvious you're doing SOMETHING right if you've come this far, so you should be the one giving advice to them!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote