Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

Question Workouts

Hi Everyone...

I workout at Curves and I love it. I know that it takes a lot of criticism because of its circuit style and it's older member-demographic, but as someone who has led a mostly sedentary lifestyle, it has been working very well for me. I work out 3 times a week religiously, and I think that this is good considering my busy schedule. I was just interested in seeing what types of gyms you all belong to, and what your regimens look like..curiosity, mainly.
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #2  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

I don't belong to a gym, but I have a finished basement with my exercise bike, hand weights, and a TV & DVD player, for movies and work-out videos. We're also getting an elliptical towards the middle/end of the month, as well, so I don't feel like I need to spend a monthly fee for a gym. If I had to leave my house to work out, I doubt I'd do it, anyway.

As far as work-out regimen, I ride the bike and/or walk for at least 30 minutes every day. I also try to work in the hand weights every few days.
staja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I work out at home.

I hate gyms. I just can't motivate myself to get dressed and drive to one. It's much easier for me to do my own thing at home, without worrying about being able to get access to the equipment or machine I want to use, or some sweat-hog leaving a puddle on it!

I'd much rather flail around in the privacy of my home, where no one but me can see how uncoordinated I am or how red my face gets! Plus, it's much cheaper for me to work out at home.

Anyway, this is what I do right now:

Mo-Fri: *Work-out tapes or DVD's when I wake up
(I mix it up between cardio and circuits with weights)

*Easy 2 mile jog on my treadmill in the evenings before bedtime

I sometimes will do a "bonus" work-out on Saturdays, which consists of either about 20 mins of weight training, a walk, or a bike ride.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 06-11-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up i think curves is great!

i actually work out at lunch in the workout room at work.
i do the elliptical or treadmill or this crazy machine that i THINK is a stairclimber but doesnt look like one.
and i do light weights twice a week for upper body.

and i dont hate it as much as i used to.
hahahahaha.
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/179/125

Height: 5'7"

I don't belong to a gym mainly because I'm a college student who NEEDS the money and I don't have a car. Plus I hate gyms, I feel way too embarassed to go, and I am much more comfortable with my limited resources at home working out, I may lose weight much slower, but I'd rather do it in the comfort of my own home, where it's peace and quiet.

I TRY and workout for 60 to 100 minutes on the treadmill of cardio everyday, but lately I've been missing a lot of days. It just takes time to get into the habit.

Last edited by scorpio88; 06-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #6  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Oh man, I have word docs describing my workouts...it's too much!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #7  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

during the semester I use the campus gym.. I usually go with some friends too. I find that on the elliptical my leg joints and ankles don't feel as stressed and afterwards, my muscles feel much more worked out.. So I usually do 3 miles on that.. and then sometimes strength training..
At home we have a treadmill.. I don't like using it as much and I feel more motivated by being in an environment where others are working out.. so I usually do about 40 min to an hour (2.5 miles) on the treadmill at least 3 days a week. My diet doesn't require exercise to lose weight but it encourages it.. so I do as much as I can just to get fit overall. Also, I have a pilates DVD that I'm trying to reintroduce myself to, hah.. I feel Pilates really working out my muscles..
I want to start playing tennis again if I can find a good partner!

Last edited by Starrynight; 06-11-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #8  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 446.8/ticker/170

Height: 5 foot 7

I also work out at home. I tried Bally's and it was mostly wasted because I didn't go. I do a 15 minute Leslie Sansone Walking workout during the day which Comcast has on demand and right now until I can do the advanced I do the basic Tae Bo workout which is 30 minutes, I normally do that at night after I put my daughter to bed.
SouthernGal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I aim for an hour everyday including the weekends -- a combo of workout dvds (Caribbean Workout and Sharon Mann) and walking outside. My apt complex has a state of the art fitness center that I have never stepped foot in. I've never been a big fan of machines -- I like being outside, and I like aerobics. I purposefully looked at complexes with private walking trails or very close to a trail and I found one of the only ones with its own private trail, which means only our community can use it and it's never very crowded like the public ones.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #10  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I use the gym on campus when I'm at school (it's cheap and convenient), but for the time being I have a summer membership at one of the gym franchises near me. I need a gym. No question. I like the gym environment and working out at home doesn't do it for me. I do 4 days (usually 1 - 1:15hrs each) of high intensity circuit training. The goal is to keep my heart rate at 85% of max throughout the workout. I then have one day of solid cardio (running outside, usually 10-12k which works out to be about an hour) and then I throw in some cardio during my weight days. When I was in school I would do spin classes and take one complete rest day a week. Now it's a little harder because I'm working and I'm taking a course at night. I usually just manage some running (I do lots of sprints and stuff on the treadmill to mix it up) on the days I do my weights. My overall hours have gone down significantly. In school I was doing 8-10hrs/week and now I'm lucky if I break 7.

Last edited by rockstar87; 06-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #11  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I definitely have to have a gym, or specific not-at-home place I go to. Whether it's meeting someone every day at the tennis courts, or going to the gym. It has to be out of the house. I'm like that with studying too though. I have a hard time separating business and pleasure with the same place I sleep and eat.

I'm doing the Couch to 5 K on a treadmill at an apartment complex fitness center, but next week I'm going to have to do it on actual ground which will be a huge change, and honestly I'm very nervous about it.

I'm also probably getting a Curves membership for the rest of the summer - but I've GOT to stick with the C25k and sadly Curves hasn't got treadmills.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I was enrolled at ymca, which is a mile from me. But I hardly go because I like going at night, and I like having an indoor pool, steam room, sauna, etc. I'm switching to 24 hour fitness because they have all that for 1/2 of what I'm paying ymca. Even though 24 hour fitness is 5 miles away from me, I think I'll like going there more.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #13  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

My workouts consist of dvd's (WATP and The Biggest Loser), stationary bike, and bowflex. I usually do 1-2 hours a day, everday. One day maybe biggest loser cardio max and power scuplt then 1 hour on the bike and another day maybe 1 hour of WATP and 1 hour bike and something on my bowflex. I try to switch it up every now and then. My slow day usually is only 1 hour of exercise, its rare I usually don't exercise at all.
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I work out at the gym in my apartment building however it is not your typically apartment gym. It is actually owned by the Marrot Hotel. So it is super duper nice. However there are two things 1. Sometimes you get annoying hotel guest that think they own the place (when I’m there almost everyday). And 2. They also sell memberships so we get all these business people that work next door. I go right when I leave my internship at 3, so normally I’m in the gym by 3:30. I miss a lot of the traffic by going at that time. I didn’t have time to go to the gym for a long while but now that I have the time I go 4-5 days a week (even though I would like to kick it up to 6) and I go between 1 and 1.5 hours.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I hate workouts. I play a lot of softball (four to five games a week) and do a workout dvd, Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred. I like to take a long brisk walk on Saturday and Sunday and usually once or twice a week. I will do anything to avoid having to do that dvd though. It is hard.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote