3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Morning Workouts (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/135714-morning-workouts.html)

IndianaGirl 02-29-2008 06:13 AM

Morning Workouts

Many of you have told me this is the way you have gotten in your workouts after long hectic work days. I've tried it before and failed-but I'm trying again! Today is the first day of my two weeks that i am pledging to do it! I'll post here to report back to all of you for support and a way to keep me motivated!

Ok I'm up now-off to work out!:carrot: :cb::broc:

IndianaGirl 02-29-2008 06:35 AM

Well not what I wanted-but it's day one. I hope to gain more energy in the morning to be able to push through this more. (afternoons are easier for me-just a struggle for time then!)

Day One-6am
18 min on elliptical machine
50 crunches on the ball
20 bicep curls on each arm with 5 lb weight

Lovely 02-29-2008 07:54 AM

Way to go :) Getting up early to get your exercise in is marvelous! I couldn't do it, lol. I'd have to wake up at 4:30! (Heck no!) But, keep on going. You can do this :D

frog0726 02-29-2008 08:18 AM

That's great! I get up early to work out as well, otherwise I'd have a kid hanging on my legs.

lawchica 02-29-2008 10:01 AM

Whoo - I'm so proud of you and you've motivated me to join you for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. I used to leave my house at 4:50 on the bus!!! to go to the gym. Now I can't even get myself in the car before 10am! LOL

Ok - so I'm totally down with the morning workout routine. Thanks for starting this.

Go, girl, go! :)

comawhite2818 02-29-2008 11:26 AM

How funny, today was my first day starting morning workouts too! I have been doing the eliptical every night after work, but the scale hasn't budged at all, so I figured I would try and do both morning and night.

So, this morning I woke up at 6am and did 20min on the eliptical and watched sex and the city. Hopefully I keep this up and actually see the scale move.

SlimmingDown 03-01-2008 02:30 PM

I LOVE my morning workouts!

I used to have the hardest time waking up in the morning to fit them in. It ended up making me feel like a failure because it was yet another thing that I failed at.

One day I was at a local GNC type store and was talking to the sales guy about supplements (you know, does CLA really work, etc.) as well as diet pills (at the time my sleep disorder was undiagnosed). He helped me pick out a diet pill. At the time I was desparate enough to try anything, health wasn't a factor, I just wanted to lose weight. So, to make a long story short, he gave me the gift of the morning workout, the best advice I've had to date. He told me to set my alarm for 20-30 min before I wanted to get out of bed to head to the gym and take the diet pills then. After that, go back to sleep. Sure enough, in 20-30 minutes I woke up and was full of energy.

As I've aged health has turned into more of a focus. So I switched the diet pills for plain caffeine pills (really cheap and you can get them to equal what is in a cup of coffee or a Mt. Dew). They worked just as good. One of my friends started doing this about a week ago and is loving it.

Now my sleep disorder is being medically addressed and I am on Rx stimulants. I still use the same trick, set the alarm, take the pill, go back to sleep, pop-up wide awake 30 min later.

I can understand that some people are not going to agree with this approach. I am not saying that diet pills are the answer, I don't take them anymore. Eventually I got to the point where my body adjusted to waking up and for a while I didn't even use the caffeine pills. Now I have to take my Rx so it's going to be an ongoing thing with me.

Another thing to note about morning workouts. The first week or 2 you might have a hard time with getting tired in the afternoons, more so than normal. I've found that this goes away with time.

Another good hint is a phone call. My mom gets up insanely early and if I am lagging w/ my workouts I'll have her call me at 5:45 or 6. That will get me up!

ETA: There is this really fit lady at work who gets up at 3 AM every morning to get in 2 - 3 hours of exercise! She loves exercise but with her job and family she has to make room for it and the morning is the only time!!! I have to give her credit, anything before 5:30 is a bit much for me!

ericacaca 03-01-2008 09:55 PM

Thanks for posting this. I have been considering getting up early to exercise for awhile. I would like to try for a couple weeks and see how I feel. Its on!

IndianaGirl 03-02-2008 06:11 PM

Thank you to everyone who has given me so much support! I'm embarrased to admit-I've already messed up. :( Saturday was Day 2 and I didn't get a work out in at all becuase I had to head out of town. Day 3 Sunday (today) I didn't get up and work out but I did get an afternoon workout in. I plan to get up early and start again tomorrow!

Loryivey- how are you doing?

IndianaGirl 03-02-2008 06:12 PM

Ericacaca- did you start this today? Glad to have you doing it with me! It'll help keep me motivated!

vixjean 03-02-2008 06:41 PM

Hi Gals, I won't go 2 weeks straight, I can hardly move from yesterday's workout! But I will try 3x a week for two weeks, make sense?
GOOD LUCK GIRLS!

IndianaGirl 03-03-2008 06:33 AM

Day 4

Only had time to get 15 min in this morning as I woke up late!

SavingServo 03-03-2008 02:44 PM

I've recently started doing morning workouts too. Well, at least before I head to class, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays that's at 1 so they're more mid-morning workouts. :lol:

I thought I would hate it but it's really a nice way to wake-up, and it gets me hungry for breakfast.

But wow, all you guys get up so early! The earliest I can drag myself out of bed is 8. :o

FriendlysRage 03-03-2008 10:16 PM

I really would like to attempt this, as I know I would exercise more...what's going to "pop up" in my schedule at 6:00 am to prevent me from getting to the gym? Ack...but I'm lazy. And super cold in the mornings. And in love with my bed.

SlimmingDown 03-05-2008 09:33 AM

How are y'all doing with the morning workouts?

I was at the gym by 6:15 this morning. YAY!

Hope you guys are doing well!

frog0726 03-05-2008 10:05 AM

I'm doing terrible. My morning workouts have been closer to 9:00 than 6:00.

HappyMomma05 03-05-2008 10:20 AM

I need major motivation! I haven't been able to make myself exercise since early Feb. mid Jan. I know that I WILL lose weight if I can just make myself start the routine again. Yesterday I started doing a little learning schedule with dd. She loves it! I tried setting my clock earlier than she gets up and low and behold she woke up 10 min before my alarm. (Yes, she's in her own room across the house) I just don't understand. It's like I can't win with this girl!! I can't get up any earlier than 5:30am. I've tried. The past 2 days that is when she has gotten up. Sigh...Any suggestions?

comawhite2818 03-05-2008 11:39 AM

Well, this is my second week working out in the morning before work. I really don't mind it too much. I mean, ofcourse I would prefer to sleep an extra few minutes, but I really want this weight to come off. I haven't lost anything yet, but hopefully my work will reflect on the scale soon :?:

SlimmingDown 03-05-2008 04:14 PM

frog0726 - At least you are getting your exercise in! That is the most important thing. I aim for the morning if I know that I am going into the office. If I am working from home during the week then I'll go during lunchtime and on the weekends I will go anytime from when I wake up until they close. Good job on working it into your schedule!

HappyMomma5 - It sounds like your daughter is psychic! How funny that she knows when you are waking up and beats you to it. What time does she go to bed? Would you be able to fit in an evening workout? Perhaps you could take her for a walk? My sis has 3 kids and she'll pile them into a wagon and tote them around. When the weather is nice it's wonderful. Also, when you are with her could you make exercise into a game that you play? I mean, you can hula hoop, jump on a minitrampoline do dance videos, etc. She can join in the fun. Granted, I don't have kids so I don't know how feasible these suggestions are.

comawhite - WTG on the morning workouts! Sometimes it is tough, but if I find myself resisting I'll remind myself that the extra hour that I'd get sleeping wouldn't even be good sleep at that point so it would just be a waste of a chance to burn calories. My scale is weird. Personally I'll lose a bit, gain a bit, hold steady a bit and then drop a lot. When I started working otu originally the scale went up even though I was eating ok. Within 1.5 weeks it had a big drop. Certainly don't let the scale discourage you!

comawhite2818 03-05-2008 04:19 PM

Thanks Jill. I guess I'll wait it out and hope for the best.

SlimmingDown 03-06-2008 10:40 AM

Coma - Another thing I was thinking today in the gym... I find that I show a loss after I take time off from the gym. Maybe once you take a day off your scale will show a drop.

comawhite2818 03-06-2008 11:44 AM

Ok, I'll try that.

IndianaGirl 03-09-2008 09:50 PM

I fell off this week. An unplanned business trip and helping a friend in crisis kept me sleeping in as long as I could! And this weekend-no excuses I was just plain lazy. I'm not sure what I need to kick my *** in gear! My goal is to start again tomorrow.

scorpio88 03-10-2008 06:03 AM

Ah, now I'm motivated to try this. My scale isn't budging (well it is but not in the right direction..or should i say left! ;)). It's 6AM up here in Canada and pitch black outside. The only thing I hate is that my treadmill is so loud and I'm afraid I will wake up the rest of the house with it. Plus the darn thing is so old that it blows everytime I get higher then 3.0mph and I have to hit the reset button. :(

EDIT: Well it's now 8AM here, and I just got off the treadmill about 30 seconds ago. I did a 2 hour treadmill workout at 3.0mph and burned 500 calories! I said to myself, I'll stop in 5 minutes, but I was listening to the radio with my mp3 player, and my favourite station (detroit channel 95.5) was doing a phone scam which was hilarious, then they had Q and As, then before I knew it was 8. :)

frog0726 03-10-2008 10:09 AM

I definitely didn't get up early this morning...stupid time change. I'll be working out soon, but I guess that's one good thing about being a stay-at-home / work-at-home mom!

SavingServo 03-10-2008 02:48 PM

I feel off the wagon a little bit. :o I normally don't go regular workouts on the weekends, just for a little break. But this morning my ex who I'm living with (bad times, let me tell you) had a little break down about how he'll never find anyone else and blah, blah, blah because I'm hooking up with a new guy.
It's tough. Him acting like a crazy person has had me running for comfort food. And then I don't know where things stand exactly with new guy, and I'm not exactly sure where I want them standing. And to top it all off it's midterms. :lol:

IndianaGirl 03-10-2008 07:30 PM

Time change got the best of me this morning! But I just got done with a 30min cardio workout! Hopefully tomorrow I can get up!
Also I ate really well today. yogurt, fruits and veggies, salad, and a chicken breast.

SlimmingDown 03-10-2008 09:19 PM

Man, the time change really got to me too! I had hoped to get up but couldn't stop hitting snooze. Tomorrow I am going to try again.

Tonight I did get myself on the elliptical for 30 min.

ella13 03-10-2008 09:24 PM

I HAVE to work out in the morning. I have to get up at 4:15 to be able to do it, but it's worth it. Sometimes I drink a sugar free red bull to get going (bad I know).

frog0726 03-11-2008 08:45 AM

Oh gosh, ella, you have some awesome willpower. I couldn't get up at 4 a.m.!

cbuggin22 03-11-2008 10:23 AM

You all have some awesome will power! I've wanted to do this for a while. I used to get up and workout in the morning and loved it. That was before my daughter started school. I would get up at 6 and do my thing and be showered and ready to go when the kids got up around 7. It was great. Now she has to be at the bus stop at 7 and I just can't seem to make myself get up early enough. Really, that's an awful excuse. I drive her to school sometimes and then I don't have to get her up till 7, so I guess if I just drive her a few days a week I could still workout before she gets up. I guess I just talked myself into the solution! LOL

ella13 03-11-2008 02:07 PM

Thanks but it really isn’t that bad. This Monday was probably the hardest day for me with the time change. But I am a morning person, and if I don’t work out in the morning I am tired and lethargic all day, that is enough motivation for me to get out of bed. My hubby is very understanding since he has to wake up to the alarm every morning at 4:15 too (though he stays in bed and goes back to sleep;))

SlimmingDown 03-12-2008 12:39 PM

Ella - 4:15 is early! Good for you though. Sounds like your hubby is awesome and supportive. Where do you workout, a gym? Mine doesn't even open until 5.

I thought that 5:30 was early but I have to remind myself that people are dang near lined up at the gym at 5:00 when they open. Fortunately I have a job that has flexibility. I normally work from home 2 days a week (on those days I workout during lunch usually) and then on the days that I do go in I don't even start getting ready for work until 8 or so. It's nice b/c I have time to workout and make a nice breakfast right afterward.

Today I am kicking myself. I got up at the normal time and sat up in bed. I didn't sleep so well last night and I decided to try to get more sleep so I skipped my workout. Of course that extra sleep wasn't good at all b/c I knew I had to get up soon. So frustrating. Looks like I'll have to fit in a night time workout!

ella13 03-12-2008 12:57 PM

slimming Down- I have a gym at home that I work out in. It would be much harder if I had to actually go out in public.

HotforTeacher80 03-12-2008 06:21 PM

I am an avid morning exerciser and if I did not get up and at it then I never seem to get to it later. I am up at 5am and on the treadmill at 5:30. I accomplish more the days I get up and feel better. Good luck with your morning routine.

IndianaGirl 03-12-2008 08:50 PM

I've not been able to get up early at all this week-BUT I am working out in the evening-so I guess that counts for something!
Keep up the good work ladies!!

Connie

vixjean 03-13-2008 08:21 PM

I got my workout in this morning! It was only 45 minutes but I feel better for it.

SlimmingDown 03-15-2008 10:58 AM

YAY vixjean! That is AWESOME!!!!

ella - Having a home gym is nice. I have a really nice elliptical machine at home that I use sometimes. I don't have the willpower to use it in the morning though, for some reason I need to get up and GET OUT of the house. Do you have weights and stuff as well? I can't find my balance ball :(

I have been doing really great also. I worked out 3 mornings M-F this week and then got up and went straight to the gym today. I also did one evening at home on my elliptical here. I'm pretty proud. Yesterday I DID NOT want to go to the gym. I even considered turning back around when I was in my car but I did it! I only did 30 minutes, but I did it!

How is everyone else doing?

bcrugbygirl 03-17-2008 10:49 PM

wow all you are amazing.
I am just starting to move my body more (ww terms lol)
I have been trying to get up early every morning but I am sooo tired.
It is hard to get to bed early (my norm time is midnight 1am bed time) and even harder to wake up early.
I am going to try and start waking up early and getting to bed early.
Thanks for all the motivation =)

Smiling_Sara 03-18-2008 11:44 AM

I want to work out in the am's, but I can't get my big butt out of bed. :( I just hit the snooze bc I can't even get my eyes open.