Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Default Time to buckle down

So I rejoined yesterday, I was on here a few months ago but drifted away from it. I'm back, yay. I have been going to the gym regularly for most of January and have improved my eating a little bit but haven't lost a pound so it's time for me to buckle down. After getting some advice yesterday I stared doing some math. I think on average I have been eating 2,000 or more calories per day, give or take. So I am now going to count calories for a minimum of the month of February. I know it'll be a pain in my butt but if the calorie counting for a month works for me I will continue it. It makes me have to realize exactly how much I'm eating. I am going to try and keep it down to about 1,200 calories a day (or less) Mon-Fri and no more than about 1,500 caloried per day on the weekends. I walk my dog for 30 min mon-fri in the morning. I also do 30 minutes of cardio and 20-30 of light but repetitive weights 3-4 times a week. Hopefully this month will really kickstart the weight loss and get my lifestyle on track. Don't worry though, if I feel I'm exhausted (not getting enough calories) I will eat before I pass out.

Last edited by peachcake; 01-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I hope that counting calories will allow you to keep track of everything you're eating and to make adjustments where you need them.

I do want to say that 1,200 calories is usually the very minimum one should go even when they are very tiny people, unless directed & watched by a doctor. I can't say how many is good for your height/weight (because I count points ^^) but you may just want to take another once-over to make sure those calories will be enough.

I truly hope that tracking will give you the boost you're looking for!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Hey and

Yeah, I was going to say something about your calorie count too...especially if you are exercising. You probably want to up it some because 1200 is the minimum. I seem to be doing well eating between 1600-1800 and making sure I'm drinking plenty of water. When I first started I heard the same thing when I decided that I was going to do 1200...it's really hard and your body may go into starvation mode if you get any less. Good luck!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #4  

I will definetley pay attention to what my body is telling me. I figured it this way... I wrote down what I would eat and approx how many calories it would contain.

Breakfast: Serving of cottage cheese(90), 1/2 can of fruit(105) = 195 Cal
Mid-Morning snack: String cheese(100cal?not sure of this one), granola bar (90) = 190 Cal
Lunch: English muffin sandwich with whole wheat eng muffin, one piece cheese, one piece bologna, mustard = 280 Cal
Dinner: Grilled chicken with some seasonings(120), veggies with some margerine(120), maybe a potato or rice (approx 120) = 360
It totals a little over 1,000 per day but gives me some room as I don't know EXACTLY what kind of chicken I'll make (BBQ sauce has calories). But a diet as listed (maybe add some carrots or fruit) will keep me full and under abour 1,200 per day.

Last edited by peachcake; 01-31-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #5  

Not to mention I would need to keep down the butter/margerine on these things...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

string cheeses are normally 80 cals but i get the light ones for 60!

that looks good but i wouldbe cautious of going under 1200

maybe you can aim for 1200-1300 a day? im pretty sure my dietician (i had a while back) did not recommend under 1200 a day for ANYONE especially more depending on activity level.

otherwise sounds good and good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #7  

Thanks for the help on this one, I will aim 1200 but I'll be sure not to drop below. I am giving a little wiggle room, I wouldn't feel defeated if I ate 13500 but I just don't want to let it get out of control.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I admire your self control, but remember that weight you starve off won't stay off unless you want to stay on a severely low-cal diet for the rest of your life! It might help jump start your weight loss, but it might also kill your metabolism.

Have you ever heard of what's called "calorie-shifting"? It just means eating a different number of calories every day, so your body doesn't know what to expect and your basal metabolic rate, therefore, can't settle and adjust to the fact that you're consistently eating less. It isn't the miracle cure that some websites make it out to be, but it's biologically sound, and probably better for your body than subsisting on 1200 calories a day, steadily. Particularly as it allows for variation in your diet, so you get different nutrients.
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote