Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Smile Getting back to it (hi!)

I used to be around the 20-somethings forum a long time ago... and have come to the realization that I just can't stay away I feel like a different person now that I've come back, and have changed my name as a result... the person I was before couldn't stick to anything, couldn't live up to her promises to herself, and instead of losing weight continued to GAIN, all while totally conscious and informed of what she was doing to herself. I finally stopped visiting the forums as I felt I had nothing to contribute to the weight loss effort.

I woke up about a week ago and realized I had had enough of junk food. I had enough of treating myself like my body was disposable, or that it didn't matter how I treated it. It's funny how this happens to me -- one day I woke up and realized I didn't want to smoke anymore, so I stopped. The last time I successfully lost weight (3ish years ago), I woke up one day and decided I was going to do it. There seems to be this switch in my head, and it's either on or off... (Unfortunately every single pound from last time is back (35#), which tells me what I was doing before was not sustainable. I was thinking of it too much as a diet, and when I went off the diet, instead of maintaining I ended up right back at the beginning. )

ANYWAY, a little more generally about me: I'm a grad student working full-time while finishing my Master's thesis, recently married, have 2 cats, love watching documentaries. Exercise and I haven't quite made friends yet, aside from walking. I like walking but it's increasingly difficult with the early dark and the onset of cold. I've been trying to do some during my lunch break at work, just to get out of the office rather than for exercise...

My plan is to not really have a plan. Not yet, anyway. My idea is to focus my eating on healthy, homemade, and whole (haha, I could totally market that -- write a book about the "Three H's") foods. I need to learn to treat my body better and retrain my eating habits before anything else.

I'm not in a hurry... this is going to take a while and that's okay with me.

Hope everyone is having a happy Friday and is looking forward to a reasonable amount of Thanksgiving next week
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Thanks

Thank you for the positive message. I am almost at that point. I am currently bingeing on something I should not have bought and recently gained a good few pounds but I almost blamed it on one action just now. I stopped myself because I realize it is all in my head. I eat extra food because I feel guilty, bored, whatever. Then I dont eat and then do it all over again. Obviously not sustainable. I am really sick of it. I'm on the cusp of a big change. I know it.

I am looking forward to a healthy weekend! I hope everyone else does the same.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #3  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

back,

You already know how great this place is so I won't dwell on that. You sound like you have a great game plan and are set to do this.

Congrats on the recent marriage and good luck to you on your journey.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

welcome back judy!. Your personal life sounds just like mine, I'm working on my Masters, am about to get married and work a full time job
I've quit loads of times while I was on here but had to come back, I don't know what is it about 3FC that just keeps me going. The support I'm guessing.
Your 'no plan' sounds like a good plan to me, you need to learn what you can and can't do. I've got my own plan of eating better, eating less, doing more. and it seems to be working
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #5  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back!
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Welcome back! Fellow grad student here, I know how crazy it is. What are you studying?

Good for you for not rushing yourself. YOu can really only go as far as you'll let yourself, and refocusing can be trial and error for many of us.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote