3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Facebook (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/118981-facebook.html)

Flutterby873 07-27-2007 09:24 AM

Facebook

I don't know how many of you have facebook accounts but I was browsing around it yesterday when I was bored at work and came across a group called: "You're not "full figured," "plus sized," or "voluptious," YOU'RE FAT *****!" and this is the discription of the group:

I'm so tired of our culture of praising obesity. It makes me ****ing sick. Fat girls should be shamed into thinness. You're not hot, or cute, you're ****ing nasty knock that fat **** off. Put down the ****ing twinky. No your diet soda with you value meal is not a diet. Stop eating *****. Then, look in the mirror with your clothes off and realize how ****ing fat you are. No man should have to deal with that. So, get over your high and mighty self. And P.S. ****ing stop dominating the dance floor you ****ing Cows!

I couldn't believe it when I came across it. I mean how mean and ignorant can people possibly get? Whether I was overweight or not I think I'd be disgusted by this group and how hurtful someone can be and not even care. This is the link to the group if anyone cares to see: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2788527461&ref=mf I guess the only good thing is that there's only 8 people in the group and hopefully people realize that its sick to make groups like this.

jillybean720 07-27-2007 09:33 AM

That is absolutely ridiculous. Since when does our culture praise obesity, because I certainly must have missed that memo! People getting "mooed" at in public, feeling ashamed to eat in a fast food restaurant, having a much more limited number of clothing stores to choose from, avoiding things like tight restaurant booths and amusement park ride restraints, having many doctors blame EVERYTHING on your weight (even if it's just the flu!)...yeah, I really feel "praised" :rolleyes:

Jadeybaby 07-27-2007 09:38 AM

The people who made that group must have some issues...

NightengaleShane 07-27-2007 09:40 AM

That's awful... I wouldn't have even joined it if I was thin. That is so badly based on stereotypes, and if you ARE overweight because you're a compulsive eate, you still don't deserve to be made fun of like that. I could rant on and on about how I got fat, but it sure as **** wasn't because of twinkies or fast food.

A$$holes. :mad:

jillybean720 07-27-2007 09:42 AM

FYI and FWIW, I went to that page (the link posted by Flutterby), and there is a link at the bottom of the page to "report" the page. I did so, with my reason being "attacks and individual or group." I wrote:
Under the Terms of Use, User Conduct section:
"In addition, you agree not to use the Service or the Site to:
...upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that we deem to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable"

I think this definitely qualifies as a violation of the terms of use. It is offensive, hateful, vulgar, and extremely objectionable, not to mention just downright wrong, incorrect, and uneducated. I know stupid people are entitled to their opinions, too, but not at the expense of a specific group of people (in this case, overweight women, specifically).

I know getting rid of the group won't change the opinions of the members, but there's no need to allow them the chance to spread their obvious ignorance and stupidity to others.

Lifeguard 07-27-2007 10:00 AM

Good for you Jill!

HeatherAngel 07-27-2007 10:03 AM

Good for you Jill - based on your post, I did exactly the same thing!! Hopefully, if enough people report it, they'll shut it down - at least until the ignoramuses find another page to build...

Heather :D

Flutterby873 07-27-2007 10:08 AM

Jilly, I think it’s great you reported the group. I've never noticed that you could report a group but I think I'm going to put a report in too so people know that it’s not okay to make groups like this and there are many people who are offended by it. Any person that makes a group that attempts to ridicule someone whether fat, thin, black, white, Asian, male, female, etc. should be ashamed of their selves.

Kery 07-27-2007 10:42 AM

You know, it's funny, but why is it always about women being shamed because 'men don't like looking at a fattie'? I guess we can add sexism to the general stupidity of that group.

On the other hand, we who are overweight at least have the option to diet it away. They who are idiots will never have any hope of making that go away.

Jadeybaby 07-27-2007 11:03 AM

I reported the group too, I didn't know you could report them!

junebug41 07-27-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1792448)
You know, it's funny, but why is it always about women being shamed because 'men don't like looking at a fattie'? I guess we can add sexism to the general stupidity of that group.

That's the part that made my blood boil as well.

bida 07-27-2007 02:52 PM

I reported as well :)

Ohhkay8 07-27-2007 02:55 PM

That is just AWFUL. I'm off to report it.

Lifeguard 07-27-2007 02:58 PM

I'll join you all & report it - when I get home - facebook is blocked here at work. :-(

girlonamission020 07-27-2007 09:24 PM

Just to let ya'll know... I reported it, too. Maybe if enough people report the group it will be removed.

Kery 07-28-2007 01:14 AM

That's what I was wondering about. I reported it as well yesterday, I hope it helps.

starzzy 07-28-2007 12:55 PM

The last time I heard...our culture did not praise obesity! I think that it is the exact opposite.

Thanks for reporting that!

Dawn2Dusk 07-28-2007 01:04 PM

I just reported, too :) Way to go, Jill!

maalisse 07-28-2007 06:55 PM

They didn't even get the punctuation right in the title. What dumb***es.

*reported!*

Dawn2Dusk 07-28-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maalisse (Post 1794062)

*reported!*

Should have been reported for poor grammar then :D

maalisse 07-28-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk (Post 1794065)
Should have been reported for poor grammar then :D

Maybe I'll report it a second time! ;)

Grammar police...eee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo!

mnms24 07-29-2007 12:03 AM

I've reported it too...that was just very ignorant rant for no apparent reason.

jillybean720 07-29-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maalisse (Post 1794062)

*reported!*

ha, yes, they are obviously geniuses...look at how they spelled "voluptuous." The whole thing offends me not only as a fat chick, but also as a technical editor by profession :p

just_a_dreamy1 07-29-2007 11:37 AM

Flutterby,

As soon as I read your post, I went to Facebook and reported the group. I'm glad to see that so many of you have also reported it!

Just in case anyone needs an idea of how to get started, here is my letter:

I feel that this group discriminates against people based on their weight, and that it is inappropriate for Facebook based on the following terms of use:

"...you agree not to use the Service or the Site to:

upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that we deem to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that, in the sole judgment of Company, is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Site, or which may expose Company or its users to any harm or liability of any type."

I trust that you will deal with this group appropriately.

veggielover 07-29-2007 01:40 PM

Thanks Jill for the iniative action.

You know, I would probably want to assume that the majority of these "group members" are predominantly male. I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a bunch of frat boys.

veggielover 07-29-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean720 (Post 1794350)
ha, yes, they are obviously geniuses...look at how they spelled "voluptuous." The whole thing offends me not only as a fat chick, but also as a technical editor by profession :p

oh no... does this now mean that I have to check my spelling on this forum ? :o:D

SavingServo 07-29-2007 11:09 PM

The movie set I was just working on there called for snuff films (fake of course) and one of them was supposed to be labled "voluptuous" but who ever did it instead spelled it volumptuous. :o

SavingServo 07-29-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggielover (Post 1794657)
You know, I would probably want to assume that the majority of these "group members" are predominantly male. I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a bunch of frat boys.

Well there are only 10 of them which is nice to note.

glitterlicious 07-29-2007 11:32 PM

Reported.

Wow. The people who wrote that must have a lot of hate and anger inside.

Flutterby873 07-30-2007 10:48 AM

I'm glad we could all get together to at least let them know that this is not acceptable. Hopefully facebook can do something about it.

catsnhorses 07-30-2007 11:05 AM

I did my bit

Quote:

I feel this is a violation of your terms of use, because it is a gratuitous attack on a particular group of people, namely women who are of larger than average size. It is also vulgar and offensive as the Description of the group is laced with profanity and foul language. It is sexist as it singles out large women, not large men, for attack. Thank you for your attention to this issue.
I don't care what you think, if you can't state your PoV without resorting to foul language then you are a pathetic wet noodle who does not deserve to be heard. So there. :p

Seriously, I hope the Facebook peeps pay attention...

Flutterby873 08-02-2007 02:50 PM

I've been checking every so often, and disappointingly the group remains and seems to be going strong with 28 members now. I can only hope that facebook will get our message that this group is offensive on so many levels.

PinkSnowDays 08-03-2007 02:36 PM

Hey ladies! I also just reported it, thanks Penelope for the ideas!!

Tinky009 08-03-2007 06:19 PM

I just reported them too!! It's just downright distasteful! Ugh!

chickadee315 08-03-2007 09:43 PM

women are always harder on other women then men could ever be - i do it, i judge those that i view as obese but for me its more of i never want to get that fat and use it as more of a motivation to reach my goal.

jillybean720 08-04-2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadee315 (Post 1802214)
women are always harder on other women then men could ever be - i do it, i judge those that i view as obese but for me its more of i never want to get that fat and use it as more of a motivation to reach my goal.

Not sure where this came from, but I will say I agree that women tend to be harder on women than men are--except in cases like this! I think we all judge other obese women to a point, but I don't think we're all so mean as to think, "man, I wish society didn't praise her for being like that! Then maybe she'd stop eating so many damn Twinkies!" The guys in this Facebook group are a special kind of stupid, judgmental, and mean.

I'm actually quite appalled that so many of us have reported their group, and yet not only has it not been deleted, but it's growing in members! :mad:

jillybean720 08-05-2007 07:44 PM

I can't believe the group is STILL there. I went to MySpace and posted a bulletin asking all my friends who have Facebook accounts to go report the group. I ended up in tears as I wrote it, but here was my message:

If anyone has a Facebook account, please check this out: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2788527461&ref=mf

It is absolutely appalling that although at least 10 different people have reported the group as being offensive, the group still exists. It may be funny for about 2 seconds to some, but it is offensive, hurtful, and downright ignorant to anyone who has EVER been overweight or even been friends with someone overweight (and you all know me, so you all fall into that category).

I can't even begin to express my venomous hatred for the sick, uneducated, shallow, closed-minded individual who started this group, and all of its like members. How can anyone say that our culture praises obesity? I've been overweight my whole life, and it has been the absolute worst thing I've ever had to live with. It starts out with getting made fun of throughout all of elementary and middle school (and even in high school from those few idiot boys that matured a bit later than others). Kids are absolutely mean and relentless. So yes, I spent about 12 years listening to others try to tell me I was basically unworthy of respect as a human being because of my weight. And now that I'm 25, not a day has ever gone by in my adult life that my weight has NOT been a negative issue.

No matter who you meet or where you go, it's always in the back of your mind that somehow your weight will cause an issue. Oh, maybe that guy at the party won't even look my way because I'm fat. Maybe no one will sit next to me or talk to me in class because I'm unattractive. Maybe some innocent little kid will be so bold as to wander up to me in public and so helpfully inform me that I am gigantic. Maybe I'll stop going to amusement parks for fear of the embarrassment of not being able to fit in some of the ride restraints. Maybe I'll avoid small local restaurants for fear of not fitting in the booth. Maybe I'll pray that when I'm out for a walk (trying to get some EXERCISE--isn't that what fat people are supposed to do?!), no one will "moo" at me as they drive by on the street.

I have the option of about 3 stores where I can go clothing shopping, not an entire mall full (and I'm very fortunate if ANY of those 3 stores happen to be in a mall). I have to give 120% at work and in life in general because fat people are typically viewed as being lazy. Being fat comes with a whole list of assumptions and generalizations people make about you (no, I do NOT sit on my butt all day watching Oprah and eating BonBons and Twinkies).

And so people give the enlightened suggestion: "Why don't you just lose weight?" JUST lose weight? Like it's that easy? Like the 25 years of mental demons just disappear in the blink of an eye? It's not like being an alcoholic where you can give up drinking or a smoker where you can stop buying cigarettes (not to say those are EASY to quit, but just as examples)--fat people still need to EAT food to live. I can't just give up food cold turkey or wear a calorie patch or chew some calorie gum. Sure, I'm welcome to pump my body full of diet pills (which are NOT regulated by the FDA and often do not include the ingredients listed on the bottle but DO include some harmful ingredients NOT listed on the bottle), but even their packaging says "not for extended use."

The problem is, I can start losing weight today, but guess what--I still won't be thin by tomorrow. Or the next day. It will take a LONG time, so even while I am working on improving myself, I still face all of the same adversity as if I had never even tried or cared.

I have to go now--moving some stuff into our new house. But I think I made my point. If you have a heart and even a shred of intelligence, you will realize that our society degrades, not praises, the obese. If you have a Facebook account, please go report the group--there is a little link at the bottom of the page that says "Report Group."

xDas7x 08-06-2007 01:47 AM

Wow thanks for the heads up about this little group. I think its complete BS. I'll also report the group, its just spewing hate and ignorance.

Tammy 08-06-2007 02:13 AM

I just stumbled upon this thread, and I went to Facebook right away and reported the group. I think it's a bunch of high school kids according to what it says with their pictures.

littleflip66 08-07-2007 10:09 AM

The group is still there and up to 28 members, most of who are still in high school. I did my part and reported it, and got others to do it too.