Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #1  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about running?

I've been wanting to try running for a while now, so after reading about it in another thread, I decided to try the Couch to 5K plan. I downloaded the podcast and today was Day 1 for me. I loved the program, but couldn't finish it because I was experiencing pain in my lower legs. It started at the top of my feet and spread about halfway up my shin. The area where the top of my feet meet my ankles seemed to be hurting the most. I was in enough pain that I had to quit about halfway through. I was really disappointed, because I REALLY liked the program/podcast, but it just hurt too bad.

Is this a problem that could be solved with a good pair of running shoes? Anybody experienced this?

Thanks guys!
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #2  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like it may be shin splints, which can pop up because you're pushing your body too hard (happens often when you first start).

Correct shoes can definitely help, you should go to a specialty store that caters to runners and have someone there analyze your gait (don't be embarrassed about running up and down the aisles in front of somebody). They will analyze hpw your foot strikes the ground and your follow through to find the right shoe, yes running shoes are made differently for specific kinds of feet!

As far as the other part, working too hard, you'll simply have to start slower. I think the C25K program is a little misleading, you can't get up off the couch and complete the first few workouts if you haven't already started getting in shape. I couldn't do the first week of the program when I first started either, it was simply too strenuous, even though it may SOUND like it should be easy. So give yourself a couple of days off (or a couple of days of low impact workouts like cycling or swimming) and then start again and modify the plan to fit your fitness level.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #3  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I had to do 4 weeks of walking before I could do week 1 of C25K - I was just too out of shape to not get hurt and boy did I hurt myself the first time.

Take a few days off and re-start. If you think you have crappy shoes then go get some good ones from a running store. In my case I got shin splints even though my shoe wasn't the problem. I think it was just the shock of my body to exercise since I was so lazy before LOL.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #4  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

good shoes are def key - bad cushioning leads to shin splints.
also - you could see a foot doctor too to get checked out!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #5  

Default There's some stuff you can do...

The area you describe your pain in doesn't sound like shin splints. Shin splints are usually a bit higher on your shin. If they are shin splints you can stretch by putting your leg out in front of you with just your heel on the ground and tapping your foot.

If it is not shin splints sit on the floor with your legs out in front of you, ask someone to push on the ball of your feet towards you, and then push them down with your toes pointing away from you, this stretches the exact area you described. Heat also helps. If the pain starts becoming sharp higher up in your shin or seems to radiate you should see a doctor. I had to have surgery on both legs from some bad sports shin related injuries, talk about a set back....good luck!!!!
MeSoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #6  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the advice guys. I think for this week I'll just stick with my regular cardio program, and go get a good pair of shoes this weekend. I've been needing some new ones anyway. Maybe I'll try C25K again next week and see what happens.
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I just started C25K yesterday... I still don't know how a few weeks of warm-up and preparation could possibly get me to run 5K/3 miles without stopping, but perhaps running is all about the gradual build-up.

However, since I have had a few brief run-ins with running, I CAN say that pushing yourself too hard (I would run forever once, even AFTER everything hurt, just to lose more weight) will make EVERYTHING hurt! Side pains, thigh pains, calf pains, charliehorses, you name it - running seems to be one of the most physically taxing exercises and unconquerable battles
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

sprints are a good way to get your body in shape quickly - plus they are great for your metabolism!
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote