Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #1  
Ready to Learn

S/C/G: 280/267/180

Height: 5' 5"

Default Ready To Start...Just Don't Know Where

HELLO EVERYONE! MY NAME IS AMY AND I AND NEW TO THIS WEIGHT LOSS THING. I AM DEFINETELY NOT NEW TO BEING OVERWEIGHT. I HAVE BEEN PLUSSIZE SINCE I WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I NEVER GAVE MUCH THOUGHT TO LOSING WEIGHT UNTIL RECENTLYAND I AM JUST FLAT OUT TIRED. I AM BEGINNING TO GET DISGUSTED WITH MYSELF WHEN I LOOK IN THE MIRROR. NOW I ADMIT, I CAN GO TO LANE BRYANT OR ASHLEY STEWART AND BUY EXPENSIVE CLOTHES AND STILL LOOK VERY CUTE, BUT I WANT THE OPTION OF GOING TO A SMALLER SIZE. I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE NOT PUT MUCH EFFORT INTO LOSING WEIGHT. I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET JUST TO GET THE WEIGHT OFF AND THEN A LIFESTYLE CHANGE TO KEEP IT OFF. THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT STARTING AND KEEPING UP THE LIFESTYLE CHANGE. THE THING THAT HAS ME LOST IS WHICH IS BETTER..COUNTING CALORIES OR CUTTING CARBS? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT. I THINK ONCE I KNOW WHERE TO START, EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE. THANKS SO MUCH AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE OUT THERE!!
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #2  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi Amy,
Welcome!
You have come to the write place here. We're all here to support and encourage you and if you need to vent, you can do that too.
There are so many Forums here, that you can check the different weight mangement lifestyles and decide what's right for you.
We're all here to help when you need it.

Good to see you here!!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck. I have been on many diets and have found that counting calories is the way to go. It is flexible, non restrictive and teaches me how to eat in the real world after I reach goal.It takes some planning but it was because I didn't plan that I reached my top weight of 206.You should do what works for you and the diet that you will follow.It is OK to experiment until you find what works for you.You will also be more successful at weight loss if you exercise as well.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hi Amy! Welcome!

What's better: counting calories or cutting carbs? That's all a matter of opinion. I count calories because I personally find it easier to stick with: I can eat almost anything I want, in moderation. I just try not to let myself go over 1,600 calories. This, for me, leaves a 1,000 calorie deficit on most days, and in a perfect world would contribute to 2 pounds a week. DO I actually lose 2 pounds a week? I did at first, but now I've slowed down to 1-1.5 ish.

The thing about doing "the grapefruit diet" and then a lifestyle change is that the lifestyle change will probably be difficult to maintain. When you go on a crazy diet just to lose weight and then try to maintain it, you haven't really weaned yourself from bad cravings or learned how to properly manage your weight... and if you make food your enemy (we often instinctively tend to while following crazy diets), you're setting yourself up for failure.

I suggest signing up for an account on fitday.com - it's helped me a whole bunch. That way, you can log in everything you eat, and it will tell you what percentage of carbs, fat, and protein you're eating, too.

I have heard success stories about cutting carbs, but I've found myself mostly unable to do it, because, well, I just LOVE carbs too much! However, while on a low carb diet (both Atkins and South Beach Phase 1), you WILL drop 5-12 pounds during the first two weeks.

There are a lot of diet forums on here... check them out and see what might work best for you. Also, most people don't end up going with the first diet or plan they try. I've heard it over and over again and am living proof: when I first began my weight loss journey, I tried the Fat Smash Diet. I didn't like it; I found it boring and restrictive, AND I followed detox religiously just to lose less than 5 pounds when other people lost 10! I was infuriated, said SCREW THIS, binged for a couple days, then fell right back on track with a new plan: calorie counting.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #5  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I find that counting calories is best.
I tried counting carbs on Atkins, but I got sick of meat and I do love my bread, potatoes and pasta. I got far too skinny and looked ill, and then I put all the weight back on!
Now, I am counting calories and I find sticking to 1300-1600 is sufficient and I am slowly but surely losing weight. The food is not restricted now I am calorie counting, so I can eat mostly things I want to, as long as I portion it and stay within my calorie and fat limits for the day.

The key is finding what plan works best for you, because what works for another might not work for you.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #6  

Welcome!

Which one is best for you? You'll have to tell us! Some people find carb counting very easy to get used to and stick with, others find calorie counting easier to stick with. It depends on you and your preferences.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #7  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Amy,

It all depends on your personal preference, but I will say that I just switched over to calorie counting at the start of this week and so far I really like it. I use thedailyplate.com to track all my calories, and have found that it keeps me accountable and makes it easy to plan my meals. I also feel more satisfied at the end of each day knowing exactly how many calories I ate and being able to see that I stuck to my plan. It makes me proud of myself, I guess!

-Britt
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #8  
Ready to Learn

S/C/G: 280/267/180

Height: 5' 5"

Thank all of you for your replies. I think I am exactly where I need to be to get rid of this weight. I never had anyone to talk to and just seeing how people are responding and trying to help me, makes me feel better. I have never tried cutting carbs. I often hear alot of people talk about how bad carbs are so that's why I was considering counting them. I have however tried counting calories and it was pretty fun. I didn't stick to it long enough to see results, but I kept a daily planner og everything I ate for each meal and the number of calories. I honestly believe that will be the best for me. I think once I count calories and cut back, then of those calories left that I can eat, I will cut down on some of the carbs. I guess it's like doing two in one. I really appreciate all of your help and please feel free to give me any suggestions you may have.
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote