Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Default I am really concerned...

Im a complete lurker here in the forums....I watch and read and learn and something seriously wrong has come to my attention!

I live in New Zealand, here we grow our veges in the garden, our ultimate feed is grilled meat, salad and fresh seafood, we love to be active -camping, kayaking, swimming, etc etc...and we don't have the obesity problem that other nations oh so similar to ours seems to have.

-People on the forums talk about making food "from scratch" in my opinion there is no other way, you can't appreciate food from a packet in the same way you can food that you have created yourself, especially if you include home grown fruits and vegetables. Resolve today to stop using packet crap! The includes packet oatmeal and processed cereals.

-Eat clean, eat what the earth has given you or as close to it! Artificial sweeteners are CHEMICALS! They are not feul for your body. Prepackaged meals, store bought cakes and biscuits contain chemicals and animal based fats and are full of crap that your body has never evolved to use efficiently.

-Stop using margarine, or i cant believe its not butter, or similar...olive oil is SO good for you! Organic nut butters on bread.

-Stop asking can I have this? Or can I have that? If you have to ask yourself if it's okay...there is probably a reason....so don't eat it! If it comes from a packet, has numbers of words you can't pronunce in the ingredient list, or advertises "low fat" or "reduced sugar" it probably has more bad stuff in it!

-Even better, don't go down the cookie isle at the supermarket! Or the chips, or anything like that! Its not needed and anything down there (no matter if it IS low fat, advertised as healthy, or appears it on the box).

Im not saying you have to be perfect everyday....and this isn't really a weightloss thing...Its just my personal thoughts on the matter?

Anyone else agree?
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Sarah ~ You have some valid points in your post. I have read many other posts that have the same theme ie check out the whole foods section at this site. We have members here that talk about 'eating clean' quite often.

Just last night, a group were talking about avoiding the 7 C's: I think they were Colas, Candy, Cakes, Cookies, Crackers, Cereals, and Ice Cream; and only eat things grown or shot (animals). But there were lots of exceptions, like dairy products. Some people will like the idea; some won't!

I eat 'large flake' oatmeal or other whole grain cereal, whole grain breads, a few dairy products like cheese, yogurt, and skim milk, olive oil, home grown veggies, fresh and frozen fruits, lean meats and fish, etc. Occasionally, I may have a few whole grain crackers, and a very small amount of ice cream as a treat.

North Americans do eat a lot of greasy fast foods, but many people here are trying to quit that. They say the French and Asians are slimmer than us too; but I live in Canada, and just as many French people here have weight problems as other groups. While I do think our eating habits really need an overhaul, I also think it is our lifestyle choices as well. We have long, cold winters here; and many people hate to even go outside becuz of that.

You have an advantage to have decent weather year round and access to fresh veggies, fruits, and fish year round as well. I just think there are many more factors at play here; not just packaged cereals. For me, how much I ate of the not-so-bad foods, was a bigger factor.

I understand your concern though ~ from your vantage point, it may seem that all we eat is packaged and artificial stuff. I don't eat a lot of packaged foods myself; and we by-pass those cookie and chip aisles in the store completely, sticking to the outside sections mostly.

For some, trying to change life-long habits will take time; but thanks for sharing your thoughts ... ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/ticker/130

Thats good! To be honest I wanted to say this to the Fat-Smash group.....when the guy who created it said only duse lowfat dairy I dont think he meant make it into packet lowfat pudding full of artificial sweeteners and other stuff!

Its not just America tho, I feel bad for saying that -I watch my own mother eat such things (well not packet food, we just never have) and its so bad for her! (she has gastric bypass surgery...so yea...)
Fairy Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

I use a butter substitute but its vegan and no chemicals....basically a blend of oils. Very tasty.

And now I got my mom to start cooking with only extra virgin olive oil and not butter.

people are so afraid of natural fats like avocado and olive oil.

"only eat things grown or shot (animals)" ~JustWant2BHealthy

I hope people realize how many chemicals and hormones that animals are pumped up with at slaughterhouses and factory farms.

Maybe once upon a time it was healthy to eat animal protein, but now, they just cram those animals in and have to give them hormones to bulk up and antibiotics so they wont get sick.

If you want to eat *really* clean, you have to eat vegan. Those antibiotics and hormones are also passed through milk and in turn, when we eat animal products, we are eating the hormones and chemicals. Oh, and did I mention organic?

It seriously sucks that the American government is totally fine with allowing our food to be sprayed with chemicals.

And I totally know what the OP is talking about.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Sarah View Post
Thats good! To be honest I wanted to say this to the Fat-Smash group.....when the guy who created it said only duse lowfat dairy I dont think he meant make it into packet lowfat pudding full of artificial sweeteners and other stuff!

Its not just America tho, I feel bad for saying that -I watch my own mother eat such things (well not packet food, we just never have) and its so bad for her! (she has gastric bypass surgery...so yea...)
Actually, I read to not eat nonfat and lowfat dairy products.

How do they get the fat out? *pondering*
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote