Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/156/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default Quitting Smoking??

Has anyone here quit smoking recently? I want to start jogging more... my body will go, but my lungs say no.

I've tried quite a few times, with no success. One of the major problems is my office. We're allowed to smoke in there, and with everyone smoking around me, I just can't stop.

I mean I know I *CAN* its just so hard

And to think of all the cute shoes I can buy with cigarette money. GAH! What should I do??
krissyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #2  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've never been a smoker, but I was talking about this with my boyfriend's mom just yesterday. He smokes, and I would really like for him to quit. She said what worked for her was a combination of Wellbutrin and the patch. She said once she started that she quit smoking right away. Of course, you'd have to talk to your doctor about it, but she experienced great success with it.
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm in the same position as you, I'm currently a smoker looking to quit, I've started running too and I definitely think my breathing is holding me back. I'm not a heavy smoker (yet) which is why I want to quit NOW before it gets worse! I plan on going it cold turkey. When I visited my sister and lovely niece for a week over christmas I didn't smoke at all and didn't have much of a problem which is why I think I can do it cold turkey. However I'd love to hear how other people coped so I'm looking forward to the replies!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #4  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I gave up a few weeks before my "diet" began.
I went cold-turkey...but it's easier for me because we have a smoking-ban here in the UK (since July 1st), so there are less people smoking around me now.
Perhaps you could try gum or a patch??
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #5  
Crawling

S/C/G: 227/160

I quit smoking over the weekend. I did it because I used to be a long distance runner and know I'll never get back to it if I continue smoking. No one smokes inside my home so I knew I'd be okay on that front. It would definitely be harder if I had smokers around me. I'm surprised there's smoking where you are ... in NY, it's a big no no.
CrawlWalkRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #6  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

I quit smoking about a year and a half ago.
What worked for me was:
1) Planning
2) Wellbutrin/Zyban (same thing; Wellbutrin is technically the antidepressant and Zyban is the smoking cessation aid)
3) REALLY wanting to do it
4) Nicorette gum, and after two weeks, plain gum

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I'd love to help but don't want to get into a detailed post here.
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/156/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlWalkRun View Post
I quit smoking over the weekend. I did it because I used to be a long distance runner and know I'll never get back to it if I continue smoking. No one smokes inside my home so I knew I'd be okay on that front. It would definitely be harder if I had smokers around me. I'm surprised there's smoking where you are ... in NY, it's a big no no.
Oh, here too with the smoking ban.... my office just doesn't care.
krissyg is offline   Reply With Quote