Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #1  
just me

S/C/G: 320/294/145

Height: 5'7

Default Rpm

Hey ladies,

just wanted to ask ya'll a question. for those of you who go to golds have ya'll done the RPM class?? and for those of you who dont know what it is, its a cycling class that is really intense. they say u burn up to 600 calories in 1 class. anyways i've been taking 2 of those classes a day. not because i'm trying to lose a bunch of weight at one time, but because i'm bored and its a productive way to pass the time. do you think i'm over doing it??
brat_61886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #2  
just me

oh yeah and how many cals do u think i should eat a day???
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I don't go to Golds, but this sounds like spinning. Maybe? I could be wrong. How long is a class, and how intense do you find it? How many times a week do you go to two classes, and how long have you been doing this?

Do you feel like you're overdoing it? How do you feel afterwards? My gut tells me you probably are overdoing it, but I don't really know enough to make that judgement. It's always a great indicator to go by how you feel during and after the workout- and if your body is really sore the next day, make sure you give yourself enough rest, you dont' want to burn out.

As for calories, find your BMR.. according to bmi-calculator.net, w/ your weight and height your BMR is 2233.1.

Then find where you are and multiply:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then subtract 500 for "one pound a week" blah blah blah.. these are all formulas so they're very subjective.

Try this as a starting point and tweak it when you figure out what works and what doesn't.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

I have just started taking the RPM class...You must be in pretty good shape because there is no way I could do it more than a couple of times a week...Wow...
WHen i did my personal training sessions she said to not take it more than twice a week because you need variety in your workouts. My plan is RPM 2x a week and body pump 2x a week.
Plus I run a few times a week outdoors and I also do 3 cardio sessions at the gym and at least 3 strength training sesions..
I want to get my moneys worth out of this!
Good luck...
Amy
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Yes, I do RPM as well...it's a lot of fun. I probably go to 4 - 5 classes a week as well as run about 6-7 mornings.

The class is as intense as you want it to be...which in my case leaves me absolutely pouring sweat and trembling lol. Especially after the once a week "Extreme" class!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I also do RPM and love it. I go to Goodlife and it sounds like some others do as well based on the class names. Regardless, my trainer gave me the same advice. I was doing basically only RPM and weights classes because I liked them. But she said I need to make sure I keep the variety otherwise your body gets used to the class and you get into that comfort zone and do not improve. In my opinion, giong twice a day is overdoing. I would go once, work my butt off, and then maybe use the other time to do pilates or weights depending on your workout routine.
with my trainer's advice, I took out one of my RPM classes ( I was doing three) and replaced it with a very intense class (Body Attack) which is a hard core aerobics class. Since it is a completely different work out than RPM, it still challenges me. So I do 2 RPMs, 1 body attack, 1 step, and one cardio on my own (keeping my heart rate in my target zone), as well as 1 weights class and two of my own weights circuits. I go in the morning and I love it.

One thing my RPM instructor always says (and the two I go to are with the same awesome instructor because I refuse to miss out on his classes) is that if you pay attention to your exertion level you are always giong to improve. a heart rate monitor will help you know if you are staying within your target rate or not. One great workout is better than two so so ones.

I'm sure you are working yourself very hard so keep your motivation, maybe just add some variation?
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #7  
just me

yeah, i see what your saying about variety, the only thing is that i'm going to backpacking thru europe this summer and i'm trying to get my endurance levels up. thats why i'm taking that class so much. but when i get back i'm ganna mix it up big time. but you guys are a lot of help!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey I was just glad to see others taking the class....I really do love it. My only problem is I prefer to go with a friend of mine and she has been working late all week so I have not been this week.. I need to get some independence and go on my own!
Amy
silverose1209 is offline   Reply With Quote