Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #1  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Question Pre and Post Exercise food???

What are your food choices for before and after exercise that you eat? [especially before/after cardio workouts]

I need some ideas, but I'm not into "power bars" and supplement type drinks.

trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/???/130

Height: 5'5

anything with protein, i usually eat a slice of turkey or whatever meat i have left over from dinner. Sometimes i have a banana too
mimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I don't usually eat right before a workout, but I do eat 3-4 hours all day long so I always have eated at least a couple hours before working out.

After working out, protein would be the best to eat. Egg whites, string cheese, milk, chicken, nuts, etc.

But I don't really focus on when I eat in relation to when I work out. I just eat every few hours anyway.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/214/165

Height: 5'10

I'll eat some fruit or cheese, maybe an egg.
Smatini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #5  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

It's best not to eat something right before working out. A light snack an hour before or a meal 2-3 hours before is fine.

It's VERY important to eat a combination of protein and carbs after a workout. Within 30 minutes is best.

Half a turkey sandwich,
apple and peanut butter,
chicken and rice
salmon and a sweet potato
etc. etc.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't eat anything before a workout--I get up at 4:15am and exercise before I do ANYTHING else (well, I pee first, but that's it! ). I've read that exercising on an empty stomach actually increases your fat-burning efficiency because your body gets energy first from your glycogen stores and then from your fat stores. Well, if you haven't eaten recently, then you shouldn't have much in your glycogen stores, so your body turns to burning fat sooner. I hope that makes sense

After my workout, I take a quick shower and then have my breakfast smoothie--a frozen banana, about 1.75 cups skim milk, and 2 scoops vanilla protein powder whirred up in my Magic Bullet cup (so I get in some good carbs and some protein and lots of YUMMINESS)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Well I'm an after work exerciser...I want to work towards doing more early mornings but that will come with daylight savings....as long as its pitch black at 5am I know I won't get up that early. I've been completely unsuccessful in the mornings with the occasional exception of a 30 minute yoga tape I sometimes do to get me going on sluggish days....which I don't eat before, I get up and have some water then do the yoga, shower then eat breakfast.
As far as evening exercising....its been a tough balance to maintain. I get out of work at 6:00PM and have a 1-1.5 hour commute home. If I go home first then I won't go to the gym so I MUST go straight there (I get there about 7:30) I've set up my eating schedule to back that up...I have a larger lunch (usually some grilled chicken, a whole grain and a veggie) that I put together the night before. I snack on something mid afternoon (today its carrots) and something on the train about half way through my commute (which is about 30 minutes before I get to the gym, today its 1 serving of whole wheat crackers and 1oz of light cheese) I find that I don't have this 'snack' then I'm starved when I get home and will over eat, basically because I work out at dinner time. I try to keep dinners light, mostly protein and non-starchy veggies.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #8  

Thank you so much everyone for the great ideas and advice.
I've noticed I always crave cheese or anything dairy... and I'm not a cheese/dairy person.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/166/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm like you, trnsfrmn. I love having yogurt after I work out. Although, I could pretty much eat yogurt anytime
LittleElectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #10  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

jillybean~

That sounds like a very yummy protein shake. I need to try that.

Have you ever tried chocolate protein powder and blueberries? Sounds kinda gross but it's really, really good.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen View Post
Have you ever tried chocolate protein powder and blueberries? Sounds kinda gross but it's really, really good.
I'm actually one of the few women I know who would much rather have something vanilla than chocolate--not a huge chocolate fan (helps to keep my hand out of the candy dish at work and away from office birthday cakes, though!)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen View Post
That does sound good. It's not that i dislike protein bars or supplements, it's that i was raised to avoid man-made type powders and such in my european family. MMmmMm. Chocolate + fruit = fave!.

jillybean720 - I'm a choco-holic! Lucky you!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #13  
Rides like a Girl!

S/C/G: 211/168/150

Height: 5'5

I keep at least one containter of Nature Mix from Whole Foods on the counter in my kitchen at all times. It is raisons, dried cranberries and mixed nuts (all unsalted). When I go to the kitchen to look for a snack, it's always right there and I grab a handful and move on. When I've finished working out and go to get more water, I grab a handful. It not only makes me feel FULL but it also makes me feel like I'm eating an energy boost.

When I cycle a long distance (anything over 20 miles), I eat pria bars. I need to have food on the go because I expend so much energy and I really hate power bars. Pria bars are light and crispy and make me feel like I'm eating energy to get me through the rest of the ride.
ladyinwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #14  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Jill: Me too! Hate chocolate ice cream, cake, icing. Give me vanilla any day of the week.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

vanilla fan here too. Save once a month
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote